The Student Room Group

Can you live in halls all year round?

Hi there

I am hoping to go to Uni in Sep 2013, by which time I will be almost 25.
I wish to live there all year for the first year at least, then only go home for a couple of weeks at christmas and a couple of weeks in the summer and maybe for a few weekends here and there.

I dont want to have to keep moving my stuff about, I would rather pay for 52 weeks accommodation and be able to leave all my stuff there.

Can you "live" and pay for 52 weeks in halls or does it vary from uni to uni?

Many thanks
Jackie
I don't think many Universities offer 52 week lets, the longest will be a few weeks less than that in order to allow them to get the room ready for the next person to use it.

But yes most Universities will have let lengths of very nearly the whole year and you'll be able to leave your stuff in it the whole time.
Reply 2
Original post by jackie11
Hi there

I am hoping to go to Uni in Sep 2013, by which time I will be almost 25.
I wish to live there all year for the first year at least, then only go home for a couple of weeks at christmas and a couple of weeks in the summer and maybe for a few weekends here and there.

I dont want to have to keep moving my stuff about, I would rather pay for 52 weeks accommodation and be able to leave all my stuff there.

Can you "live" and pay for 52 weeks in halls or does it vary from uni to uni?

Many thanks
Jackie

Hey Jackie =)

We're in exactly the same boat - I'm 24 and I'm going back to uni this September. What I've decided to do is apply for halls on a 40 week tenancy because you'll normally move into a house for second year, and rents start from around July.

For most unis you can live in halls for 51 weeks, but unless you're planning on staying in halls for your entire degree, you might want to consider just a 40 week contract.

Hope this makes sense....! And yes it varies from uni to uni. Which uni are you going to?
Reply 3
Original post by Historophilia
I don't think many Universities offer 52 week lets, the longest will be a few weeks less than that in order to allow them to get the room ready for the next person to use it.

But yes most Universities will have let lengths of very nearly the whole year and you'll be able to leave your stuff in it the whole time.

yeah ok kool thank you :smile:
Most undergrad contracts will be 40 weeks long, which covers all the holidays apart from the summer. However,
- you can normally extend these contracts over the summer, although sometimes this will mean that you need to move flats.
- contracts for second year houses normally start on 1st July (although this can vary from city to city) so you will be able to move in then normally (check with your landlord if you're only paying a retainer over the summer though).
Reply 5
Original post by Spence_LJS
Hey Jackie =)

We're in exactly the same boat - I'm 24 and I'm going back to uni this September. What I've decided to do is apply for halls on a 40 week tenancy because you'll normally move into a house for second year, and rents start from around July.

For most unis you can live in halls for 51 weeks, but unless you're planning on staying in halls for your entire degree, you might want to consider just a 40 week contract.

Hope this makes sense....! And yes it varies from uni to uni. Which uni are you going to?

ok kool, my favourite so far is Greenwich, i am looking at one more uni in London in October.
Yeah I dont think I will stay in halls for the entire degree, but most of the first year though.

ok that sounds kool if rents start from around july, then I can live in london through the summer yay!!

thank you

ok thanks :smile:

Original post by Origami Bullets
Most undergrad contracts will be 40 weeks long, which covers all the holidays apart from the summer. However,
- you can normally extend these contracts over the summer, although sometimes this will mean that you need to move flats.
- contracts for second year houses normally start on 1st July (although this can vary from city to city) so you will be able to move in then normally (check with your landlord if you're only paying a retainer over the summer though).

ok thank you all so much for your input, this has been helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jackie11

Most places that my daughter is looking at seem to offer full year contracts to mature students
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem
Most places that my daughter is looking at seem to offer full year contracts to mature students

kool thats useful to know :smile:
in privately owned/run halls you can but as far as i know you cant in uni run halls.
Mature meaning a specific age or?

Quick Reply

Latest