Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do people do it - I'm completely at a loss. I really cant understand how people get into it knowing what it does to ou and why they aren't horrified and disgusted at themselves? Why would anybody what to self inflict cancers, having no money and smeeling foul on themselves!!??!! Any smokers out there? shed some light on this for me...

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to understand....people smoke because they want to.....that's all you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    I heard of a good way to quit. Go onto a medical site and look at the images of smokers lungs, the descriptions of the chemicals in the smoke, and the stories from cancer victems. Then read up on the statistical side of things.

Did you know that a single fag releases millions of free radicals, of which one alone, in the right place and conditions, could cause cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well I'm not squeamish in the sense that I don't relate those images to what's happening to me.

I believe I'm more likely to get cancer from the mobile phone mast planted 50 metres from my house than from my smoking!
    Not true. Phones use microwave that may get through your skin and cause ionisation of you body. Smokeing produces free radicals that you then suck into the more vunerable parts of your body, at which point they can cause vast chain reactions.

ReputationRep:
    There is another idea I read about a while back. A vaccine that is basicaly a single shot when your young. It links to the nicatene(sp) molecules and stops them entering the brain, meaning you cant get a fix from a fag. This should stop people from getting addicted and mean that when you try to quit, there is no going back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie Raygun)
    You don't have to understand....people smoke because they want to.....that's all you need to know.
    This is a debate and discussion board. I am discussing a big issue in the country right now. You dont need to tell me that I dont need to understand, because I obviously feel that I do otherwise I wouldn't bother posting.

ReputationRep:
    People start smoking, usually starting as teenagers, due to peer pressure mostly. The Nicotine in the cigarettes is addictive and people have to carry on smoking to get the nicotine their body needs. People say they smoke to relieve stress, however the stress is only caused by their requirement for a cigarette. So whilst the government are earning £9.5 billion from you smokers, spare a thought for the 121,000 people who die in this country evrey year as a result of smoking.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of people smoke in our flat, and they are always stinking the kitchen out. It costs them a fortune and damages their health, but it's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for everyone, but I started smoking at a stressful time in my life believing it would relieve the tension somewhat.
    thats why my mate started. To releave the tention of her GCSE's. She is planning to stop when they are over.

ReputationRep:
    Costing around £2 billion in health care I believe.
    Yeah give or take a few pounds.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't work that way, I considered myself a 'social smoker' believing I could stop at any time but when I tried to I found out I couldn't.
    i no what u mean, but i hang around with her nearly all the time. If she says she is going to quit, i'll do my best to make sure she does.

ReputationRep:
    Strange, but the youngest experience are the most vivid, I remember clearly when I was about 4 I had a small puff of a cig left on the ash tray. It stang like hell, and made my eyes water, never had another one again.

Might be a good idea to let the smaller children experience the pain of smoking-ie stinging the throat from one puff, but then they get the idea of never touching the thing ever again.

ReputationRep:
    Smacks of smacking!

The smell of cigs upstairs on buses used to make me physically sick as a child, but hasn't done me any good.
    Hmm, well have you tried to just think fk it and just go cold turkey?

My uncle used to be a real chain smoker went through like 3-4 boxes per day. then one day he thought, fk it, and went cold turkey for a month, and never had the urge again. Took up drinking though...

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't intend smoking forever, I need some kind of bolt from the blue to make me give up, such as the missus threatening to leave!
    Maybe when you have children you might give up, considering it might impair their mental capacity and all.

ReputationRep:
    Its free will though isnt it if some1 choses to smoke who should stop them... not the point but anyway i started smoking a few months before i turned16 i did this for two reasons i used to go out drinking with my mates ( which by the way is probably just as bad for you) and have the odd occasional fag and also i was rebelling against my parents the laws ect in every pathetic way i could (i still do to be honest) and then i got into my GCSE year ( what joy ) and due to the stresses i was put under i started to smoke more and more i was atchually on about 20 a day within 6 months of starting and then i thought WTF am i dooing i have no money ectect and so i started to cut back. but this is the way quite a few people start nowadays due to stress peer pressure or trying to rebel against the rules.

ReputationRep:
    I think those who smoke are complete fools. DOnt condemn smokers for smoking, they cant help it , they are physicly and chemically addicted, but nlame them for having that first ciggy. Peer pressure and curiosity make people smoke, and I cant belive that you cant drink till your 18 yet you can buy cigarettes when your 16. This is a ridiculous and obtuse law and in my opinion there should be A.) a law saying you must be over 18 and B.) much higher cigarrette taxes to discourage smokers, meaning the government will profit more than the ciggarette companies.

I think they should just bann the little death sticks, but if they did that, then there would just be a black market in ciagarrets.
    Its a complex problem.

ReputationRep:
    not only would there be a black market but there would be out cry about over a compleate bann there would be terrorisim over an outright bann!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    Why do people do it - I'm completely at a loss. I really cant understand how people get into it knowing what it does to ou and why they aren't horrified and disgusted at themselves? Why would anybody what to self inflict cancers, having no money and smeeling foul on themselves!!??!! Any smokers out there? shed some light on this for me...
    first i just want to say that i don't smoke.

it is very addictive and it is easy to say for non smokers that they are stupid that waste money, self inflict cancer etc. i will never understand how strong the addiction is for some smokers, but sometimes i think that if their addiction is as large or even a part of my disgust for it, it is strong. then i understand better why they smoke. don't know if that made sense at all, but what i wanted to say is that it is easy for a non smoker to say that smokers are stupid or something cause they smoke (or in any other addiction for that matter) because if they have never really experienced it they won't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a lot of young girls start (there are more female smokers than male, at younger ages) because it helps them lose weight/keep slim. Suppressed their appetite or something. So atleast they'll be slim when they die into their 40th birthday cake.

ReputationRep:
    it does seem very illogical to smoke but then humans are illogical, think theyre immortal etc etc.. i do hate it though when parents smoke in front of young children who dont have a choice about whether they breath it in or not

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.