Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    first i just want to say that i don't smoke.

it is very addictive and it is easy to say for non smokers that they are stupid that waste money, self inflict cancer etc. i will never understand how strong the addiction is for some smokers, but sometimes i think that if their addiction is as large or even a part of my disgust for it, it is strong. then i understand better why they smoke. don't know if that made sense at all, but what i wanted to say is that it is easy for a non smoker to say that smokers are stupid or something cause they smoke (or in any other addiction for that matter) because if they have never really experienced it they won't understand it.

I agree with your point, but my main point is questioning why people begin to smoke at all in the first place. Sure, its addictive once you begin but you have the choice over whether you put that little stick of rubbish into your mouth in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I originally started smoking because my friends did it and they looked cool to me.....(i was about 9 at the time). When they offered me one i said yes and tried it, as soon as i did i got a rush and it felt great, i was doing something my parents didnt know about and it was wrong. I carried on smoking for about three months and in the end it didnt seem cool anymore just stupid and i tried to quit, it was too hard because when i was bored i used to want one constantly just for something to do.I know i was young but if you ask most people you know i bet they will say they tried it too. Looking back on it now has made me realise how stupid i was but when your young you don't think!!
    Quitting is not as easy as some people make out in most cases people arnt addicted to the niccotine as much as they are addicted to actually having one in there hand and putting it to there mouth it seems like something to do when there bored... i know this may seem stupid to you but to people who actually smoke it.

ReputationRep:
    I originally started smoking because my friends did it and they looked cool to me.....(i was about 9 at the time). When they offered me one i said yes and tried it, as soon as i did i got a rush and it felt great, i was doing something my parents didnt know about and it was wrong. I carried on smoking for about three months and in the end it didnt seem cool anymore just stupid and i tried to quit, it was too hard because when i was bored i used to want one constantly just for something to do.I know i was young but if you ask most people you know i bet they will say they tried it too. Looking back on it now has made me realise how stupid i was but when your young you don't think!!
    Quitting is not as easy as some people make out in most cases people arnt addicted to the niccotine as much as they are addicted to actually having one in there hand and putting it to there mouth it seems like something to do when there bored... i know this may seem stupid to you but to people who actually smoke it.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been smoking since I was 11, it sounds stupid but the main reason I started was because I didnt understand why anyone would choose to do something that they knew would most likely kill them, and I thought that by starting to smoke I might understand. (my gran had just died of lung cancer and I didnt see why she hadn't stopped smoking before when the doctors were telling her to). Also, a lot of my friends were smoking at 8 and 9 and it just always seemed a pretty normal thing to do at that age. I never felt under any peer pressure though- I'm stupid enough to want to try everything for myself without needing someone to push me into it. I do find that smoking helps when I'm stressed though- over exams I seem to smoke constantly just because of all the pressure. If someone chooses to smoke then surely thats up to them and the person they're ultimately harming is themselves. I try not to smoke near other people as far as possible cos its not really fair if they have to breathe in my smoke so as long as I mainly smoke on my own I don't see why ne1 else would be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    welll... id probly smoke if i wasnt allergic to nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OBLaden)
    welll... id probly smoke if i wasnt allergic to nicotine.
    Ouch! Can you even stand second hand smoke? That still has nicotine.

ReputationRep:
    i cant be around anyone whos smoking it makes me feel really ill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    I agree with your point, but my main point is questioning why people begin to smoke at all in the first place. Sure, its addictive once you begin but you have the choice over whether you put that little stick of rubbish into your mouth in the first place.
    yeah, that is true. in a lot of the cases i think smokers start because of group presurre ot because they smoke at parties in the begining and then become addictive.

ReputationRep:
    this may have been mentioned already (didnt bother reading the whole thread) but ive noticed that a lot of girls seem to start smoking after each other, and then seem to lack popularity if they dont smoke with their friends, so feel the need to start themselves.
    with boys, this doesnt seem the case. dunno why - maybe they feel its more important to be healthy than popular? cant see how that works though lol

ReputationRep:
    its sad but true that most girls do start smoking for popularity. or because they want to lose weight, because the nicotine increases production of thyroxine and your metabolism sky-rockets!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    Why do people do it - I'm completely at a loss. I really cant understand how people get into it knowing what it does to ou and why they aren't horrified and disgusted at themselves? Why would anybody what to self inflict cancers, having no money and smeeling foul on themselves!!??!! Any smokers out there? shed some light on this for me...
    I dont smoke myself, but if other people want to who are we to tell them what to do. Its up to them. I know that alot of my mates only smoke when they go out at night. - Why?? - dont ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malledo)
    I dont smoke myself, but if other people want to who are we to tell them what to do. Its up to them. I know that alot of my mates only smoke when they go out at night. - Why?? - dont ask me
    I think this is to hide insecurities. If you want to meet people and get to know them sometimes it's difficult to know what to say initially. Being able to ask 'have you got a light' is quite an easy way in. (Not the best though if they hate smoking!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I think this is to hide insecurities. If you want to meet people and get to know them sometimes it's difficult to know what to say initially. Being able to ask 'have you got a light' is quite an easy way in. (Not the best though if they hate smoking!!)
    smoking is disgusting. it makes people sick people die. and btw passive smoking is twice as bad as smoking yourself. so dont hang around with people who smoke. you will probrebly become ill before them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevva111)
    smoking is disgusting. it makes people sick people die. and btw passive smoking is twice as bad as smoking yourself. so dont hang around with people who smoke. you will probrebly become ill before them.
    Smoking is a truly awful habit and as a matter of fact I'm on "day five" of my latest giving up regime (something of an achievment for me).

However, are you sure passive smoking is twice as bad for you as actually smoking yourself? I don't think so.

I'm aware that 30'000 smokers die of smoking related diseases a year in the UK but honestly don't believe that another 60'000 non smokers also die of smoking related diseases which is what you seem to be suggesting.

Pish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well done! I am currently in the 'considering giving up' phase for about the millionth time. I think I managed 4 days unassisted once. I always promise myself I'll stop after I finish my current pack, but then am unable to stop myself buying another.

Well here goes, willpower alone, 10 minutes gone already, lets see how long I last.
    Well, you don't need to jump striaght into the "giving up phase". Why not move into the "just cutting down phase" first?

(Actually, I've had one mofo of a cold since Monday and I couldn't smoke a cigarette if I tried so it's been real easy doing without)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.