Allowed to drink in pubs at 16?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
A couple of days ago I went to a carvery with some of my family to celebrate my Gran's birthday.

As we sat down the (old) waitress asked what drinks we wanted. My dad ordered the drinks but when he said what I wanted (bulmers pear cider) the waitress asked if he wanted ice with it and he turned to me and she twigged that it was me getting it and said I wasn't allowed any because I wasn't 18 (I'm 16).

Now I knew that was bull**** but there was nothing I could do about it as I had no proof and couldn't be bothered telling her.

I found this on the bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical.../you_law.shtml "Children can drink beer, cider or perry (pear cider) with a meal in a restaurant when they're 16, if it's bought for them by an adult."

But what is the specific law that allows 16 year olds to drink if an adult orders? (for future references)
Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it is at the restaurant/pubs discretion, they are not legally obliged to serve you. many refuse to serve any alcohol to under 18s even if legally they are allowed to, because it removes complication and risk, especially as most 16 year olds don't have some form of ID.
the.cookie.monster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tahooper)
Children can drink beer, cider or perry (pear cider) with a meal in a restaurant when they're 16, if it's bought for them by an adult."

But what is the specific law that allows 16 year olds to drink if an adult orders? (for future references)[/FONT][/COLOR]
This makes me automatically think of the inbetweeners
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So? It's not the end of the world. I didn't start drinking until I was 17 and I didn't much care for having beer in public.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
she didn't say you weren't legally allowed to so it probably wasn't "bull****" it was probably the rules of that place.

lots of restaurant have a blanket rule against serving alcohol to under 18s even though they are legally allowed to. they are not obliged to.

if you quote the law that allows them to serve you at them they still wont, you will just look like a ****.
username208984
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lots of restaurant have a blanket rule against serving alcohol to under 18s even though they are legally allowed to

Exactly this I'm afraid
Tahooper
Rep:
?
I don't get it, if I'd made a thread about the negative aspects of alcohol everybody would be like "It's our body gtfo" but when it's not about that everybody all of a sudden gains a sudden moral highground and thinks I shouldn't be drinking even know I'm being supervised and I've never been drunk before.

:confused:
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't get it, if I'd made a thread about the negative aspects of alcohol everybody would be like "It's our body gtfo" but when it's not about that everybody all of a sudden gains a sudden moral highground and thinks I shouldn't be drinking even know I'm being supervised and I've never been drunk before.

lolwut

People are just explaining the likely reason for what happened. I haven't seen anyone "take the moral highground" tbh.
Ohlavelle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I think it's more your "I AM CERTAINLY CORRECT" attitude when really you were wrong, than anything else.
Not being able to drink in public places until you're 18 won't kill you.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
nobody is telling you you shouldn't be drinking they are just telling you that although legally allowed to serve 16 year olds a drink with their meal they are not obliged to and many places choose just to have a blanket over 18 rule.
Bellissima
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

ummm no one is saying that they are saying that most places still refuse to serve under 18s with meals even if they are allowed to legally. they don't HAVE to serve you... even if you are 62 they don't HAVE to serve you.
donuticus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No retail store is obliged to sell you anything. The right to refuse service to an individual for whatever reason (excluding race, sex and disabillity) is perfectly acceptable.

If you started quoting laws at me I'd be even more inclined not to serve you.

Also I believe the premises needs a childrens addendum to its licence if they're going to serve minors. Most premises cannot be bothered with the extra paperwork so they don't have one.
megan.c
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

No one said anything against you or your drinking alcohol, people have just said that the rule is at the restaurants discretion.

Many 16 year olds get excited about this rule, but to be quite honest not many restaurants will bow to it. If the manager of the pub or restaurant wishes not to serve anyone at all under 18 to be on the safe side then that is completely up to them.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A couple of days ago I went to a carvery with some of my family to celebrate my Gran's birthday.

As we sat down the (old) waitress asked what drinks we wanted. My dad ordered the drinks but when he said what I wanted (bulmers pear cider) the waitress asked if he wanted ice with it and he turned to me and she twigged that it was me getting it and said I wasn't allowed any because I wasn't 18 (I'm 16).

Now I knew that was bull**** but there was nothing I could do about it as I had no proof and couldn't be bothered telling her.

I found this on the bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical.../you_law.shtml "Children can drink beer, cider or perry (pear cider) with a meal in a restaurant when they're 16, if it's bought for them by an adult."

But what is the specific law that allows 16 year olds to drink if an adult orders? (for future references)
The next line contradicts what you just said.

Don't know why they put both down, just adds confusion

It's illegal for anyone under 18 to buy alcohol, or for adults to buy alcohol for anyone under 18 to drink in a pub or a public place. If the police catch children with alcohol, they can confiscate it.
Tahooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
The next line contradicts what you just said.

Don't know why they put both down, just adds confusion
It obviously means under 16s.
Darkphilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I never had any problems when I was under 18 and drinking with a meal (with family). It must be the rules of that pub.
That said, me and my mates went out drinking at a pub when we were 15 and not one of us got ID'ed or questioned about it. Though that was in Thailand (which at the time the drinking age was 20 lol)
bkeevin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by donuticus)
No retail store is obliged to sell you anything. The right to refuse service to an individual for whatever reason (excluding race, sex and disabillity) is perfectly acceptable.

If you started quoting laws at me I'd be even more inclined not to serve you.

Also I believe the premises needs a childrens addendum to its licence if they're going to serve minors. Most premises cannot be bothered with the extra paperwork so they don't have one.
I always also wondered if an adult say older brother/parent offer alcohol to a minor(say 16y.o) in a restaurant, will they be any bother?
Stevo F
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bkeevin)
I always also wondered if an adult say older brother/parent offer alcohol to a minor(say 16y.o) in a restaurant, will they be any bother?
Pretty much every bar/restaurant will have a sign saying its illegal to be served as a person under 18 AND that it's illegal for overage people to give alcohol to underaged people. How much they enforce it is something different but that's like a lot of rules really
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That would make more sense
megan.c
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No it doesn't... it is illegal for adults to buy under 18s alcohol in a public place. There is just the exemption of the 'with a meal' law
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (55)
29.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.06%
No I am happy with my choice (102)
54.84%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.53%

Watched Threads