Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People talking about "when I grow up" but when do you grow up? In about yr 10 I had to write an essay about when I grew up and stopped being a child - but a year on I still see myself as a child - I'm still a girl, I'm not a woman... Is 18 grown up? I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    I went to see Hans Blix the other day and I looked around at all the clever and gorwn-up people and suddenly thought "they are probably looking at the crowd thinking similar things. and I'm in the crowd! I'm a grown up!"

ReputationRep:
    Im nearly 25 and I still dont feel fully grown up yet. In some ways I do, but for the most part I dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    People talking about "when I grow up" but when do you grow up? In about yr 10 I had to write an essay about when I grew up and stopped being a child - but a year on I still see myself as a child - I'm still a girl, I'm not a woman... Is 18 grown up? I don't think so
    Well right now I feel I could go to a sixth form college and study A-levels and become a 16-17 year old.

But I couldn't go to university at this age.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and still consider myself as a child. I think going to uni and moving out of home will make me feel more like an adult as i will have more independence and will have to support myself without relying on my parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    i feel like a monkey eating icecream next to the white house

ReputationRep:
    u are grown up when u have a family or are at least in a job where u can support urself - give me 3 years more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    u are grown up when u have a family or are at least in a job where u can support urself - give me 3 years more
    That is such an Asian belief...

If my parents hammered anything into me it's that I'll grow up when it suits them most. Sod them, I'm moving out when I graduate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i feel like a monkey eating icecream next to the white house
    exactly! Do people actually grow up? Because my bro's 25 and he still acts like a little kid and mucks around - my mum and dad are definately grown up though, but my best mate's parents still act like kids but are also grown ups...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of 16 years olds still act like children especialy if you're from a well protected envrionment, on the other hand you have 13 year olds into all sorts they shouldn't be.

I don't know when I stopped being a child, probably 17/18.

In many ways I am still like a choldren now. I still have a certain amount of innocence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    That is such an Asian belief...

If my parents hammered anything into me it's that I'll grow up when it suits them most. Sod them, I'm moving out when I graduate!
    i'd prefer to move out when i go to uni this sept and not come back ever - and no i am being practical - why do u ghettoise everything Juwel?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i'll ever grow up to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    A lot of 16 years olds still act like children especialy if you're from a well protected envrionment, on the other hand you have 13 year olds into all sorts they shouldn't be.

I don't know when I stopped being a child, probably 17/18.

In many ways I am still like a choldren now. I still have a certain amount of innocence.
    I don't exactly act like a child - apparently I'm very mature (well that's what it says on all my school reports)... I'm not really very protected though, I've been through and witnessed loads of bad stuff... Maybe it just depends on who you are though, like some kids are grown up but other people will always have childish tendancies (hehehe)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'm 26 and it always amuses me when people call me 'sir' or 'that man'. A woman in a shop the other day referred to me as 'that man' and I thought "what, me?!". I'm still a 'lad'.

Indeed, I get that. Once a child bumped into me and the mother said "say sorry to the lady".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Indeed, I get that. Once a child bumped into me and the mother said "say sorry to the lady".
    how old are you blissy?

ReputationRep:
    i'd prefer to move out when i go to uni this sept and not come back ever - and no i am being practical - why do u ghettoise everything Juwel?
    Coz I kno nuttin but da ghetto blud, I gru up in da gutter and here I is...

ReputationRep:
    how old are you blissy?

ReputationRep:
    My up bringing was rather strange, it was both very protected but also very exposed at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Something like that happened to me in my local library. I heard a mum say 'just let this man return his book', and I thought - what man?

ReputationRep:
    I still say I like "boys" and I suppose that is going to start sounding inappropriate soon. I don't get called a "woman" yet though, just a lady. I was in France and someone called me "Madame" though - frightening.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.