The Student Room Group

Who are the most intelligent footballers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Flyteryder
Any one of them with a GCSE. Oh wait, no footballers have any because they were too busy playing for their teenage football teams and going to endless try-outs.

They're all thick as sh!t and it really shows.

Ye.. i'm sure whilst they were playing academy/reserve football for premier league teams and pushing up to the first team earning thousands a week doing what they love they are thinking about all those GCSEs and Alevels they could have gotten/improved on if they weren't playing football..
Original post by ROYP
you?

I have no chance compared to what he said. Rooney? Intelligent? :laugh:
Original post by Dagnabbit
Surprised nobody has mentioned Socrates! Not just named after someone intelligent.

Also, Solano and Onuoha deserve a mention

very true!, ashamed that it slipped my mind
Reply 24
Tim Howard - just watch any interview :smile: particularly ones after he scored :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 25
Socrates was a qualified doctor.
Reply 26
Original post by hassi94
Was it Zidane who had an IQ higher than Einstein? Okay it's just an IQ test - I'm not gonna say he's cleverer than einstein, but it must mean enough that he's at least quite intelligent.

He is of course retired but nonetheless...

I didn't hear that specifically, but Zidane did enter my thinking. Cantona and Henry as well while I'm thinking of french players.

People are quick to say all footballers are thick and all the rest but, in my opinion, the elite players at the very top of the game probably possess above average intelligence. The ones that read the game in half a second, know exactly where their teammates are and pick the perfect pass. Formal education is one thing but you've got to be sharp as anything to play football at that level
Reply 27
The African football their never in the tabloids for doing something stupid and always remember to invest in their countries

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Heskey the answer is always Heskey
Original post by Azaro
Wayne Rooney.

Kinesthetic intelligence doesn't count :yy:
I'm not sure how true this is, but someone once told me that in an Italian youth academy (either Napoli or Udinese) the players have to pass their school exams, and if not they can't play

Come to think of it, other than Balotelli I've never seen an interview with an Italian player who doesn't seem quite intelligent
Reply 31
Frank Lampard's apparently got an IQ around 160. He seems quite well spoken as well.
Any one of them with a GCSE. Oh wait, no footballers have any because they were too busy playing for their teenage football teams and going to endless try-outs.

Frank Lampard has an A* in GCSE Latin and has other good GCSEs.

And yet they're almost certainly more successful than you.
Reply 34
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I'm not sure how true this is, but someone once told me that in an Italian youth academy (either Napoli or Udinese) the players have to pass their school exams, and if not they can't play

Come to think of it, other than Balotelli I've never seen an interview with an Italian player who doesn't seem quite intelligent

What makes you think Balotelli isn't intelligent?
Reply 35
Shaka Hislop

In most English football academies today it's actually the case that the clubs make them study for GCSE's or even A levels alongside their training. They'll go to college for one or two days a week to make sure they have basic qualifications should the football not work out. Youth set ups in football are these days, a lot more supportive of academia than people think.
Original post by ROYP
What makes you think Balotelli isn't intelligent?

What makes you think he is?
Reply 38
Danny Welbeck was the only member of the England Euro 2012 team that has A-levels, apparenty.

I always thought intelligent footballer was an oxymoron, at least in the UK.
Reply 39
What makes you think he is?

It's you that needs to give a reason

I only questioned you because I've never seen him say anything in an interview to make me think he's unintelligent

Quick Reply

Latest