CGardner5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How good is York for this subject?, undergraduate of course.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
xoxjubixox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CGardner5)
How good is York for this subject?, undergraduate of course.

Hi!

I'm going to take this course this coming academic year, so I obviously cannot say for certain yet. However, it is a relatively new course, this coming academic year will only be their 3rd year running the course.. so it's difficult in terms of the fact that it hasn't yet established a solid reputation. However, having visiting the department many times, the facilities are world class, and the teaching/programme outline looks solid and interesting.

I went up to see a film festival that the students had organised from their 2nd year work.. all run by themselves etc and the quality of work was outstanding, surpassing anything I'd seen in terms of student films before. Also, the students just seemed passionate about the whole thing, and seemed to love what they were doing, which advertises that the course is good..if there are passionate students, they will have been motivated by good staff/teaching and will therefore produce excellent work.. which they certainly have done! It made me so excited to go! If you're interested, the trailer for the festival they held is on youtube - search "Luma Film Festival" and it should be one of the first ones - was held 30th June 2012. Also, I think if you type "Luma film festival" in to Vimeo, you may be able to find some of the films. Enjoy!
CGardner5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Really looking forward to looking for the right university, don't leave my college course until two years time, but want to be prepared for it when the time comes.

xoxjubixox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well by the looks of it, York is fantastic..! I'll let you know this time next year though once I've done my 1st year :P
chipskylark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just finished my first year on this course - absolutely loved it! York itself is lovely and our facilities are just incredible. Teaching staff are fantastic and always ready to help out. Our department is filled with so many opportunities (e.g. I've just come back from Africa shooting a film for a charity run through the uni) and everyone is so passionate that you're bound to find people you get along with really easily. Come to York!
georgemagee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every student about to go on a TV/Film Production Course should listen to this
Hi if you are about to spend a lot of money on a TV/Film Production course you really should take a moment and listen to this BBC radio broadcast.

It's what they wont tell you on a uni open day - and is very insightful about future employment possibilities upon graduating. Just remember many are called - few are chosen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l7wqh

The basic thrust of it is this - whilst uni's will always tell you about the few successes on their courses (and of course there will always be some) they don't really fess up about how workers in the media are hired and the lack of a regular employment pattern once you are lucky enough to get in.

New research presented at the British Sociological Association's 2012 conference claimed that middle class people hoard job opportunities in the UK TV and film industry. In a pre- recorded interview from the conference, Professor Irena Grugulis, suggests to Laurie Taylor that working class people don't get these jobs because they don't have the right accents, clothes, backgrounds or friends. Indeed, it's hard to find an area of the economy where connections and contacts are more significant. But is this mainly due to structural changes in the industry rather than to class based prejudice? The media expert, Sir Peter Bazalgette and Professor of Sociology, Mike Savage, respond to this research and explore nepotism, networking and discrimination in the media world and beyond.

Remember you don't need a media degree to get into telly in the first place - in fact many companies prefer you to have a more intellectually rigorous qualification from a reputable uni rather than a former poly.

Do listen and consider it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise