Interested in fencing, but not got the dollar Watch

aladcalledtommy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I have been interested in taking up fencing ever since I was little and I have just found out that the uni I am going to in September does £15 membership with their club and loan you the equipment. Whatta bargin! :B Only thing is, the equipment is loaned so in time I will have to buy myself the kit. I had a look online and it's bloody expensive! Not sure if I can afford it can anybody recommend how to get all the gear in the cheepest way possible? Without it being god awful quality

Thank's guys
Vulpes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm.. How much is your budget? One way would be to order your kit from China and get it shipped over. There are quite a few budget stores in the UK to purchase fencing equipment too. Your uni fencing club will probably be able to tell you the best places to purchase equipment from.

I suggest you begin by purchasing a glove and mask, then a sword, then slowly begin building up the rest of your kit. You don't necessarily have to buy everything at once, and seeing as you are only just starting, there is no need to purchase high-grade equipment.

I bought competition standard fencing gear in Hong Kong for ~ 200 quid. 1 mask, 3 swords, bag, full clothing, lame, glove etc
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vulpes)
Hmm.. How much is your budget? One way would be to order your kit from China and get it shipped over. There are quite a few budget stores in the UK to purchase fencing equipment too. Your uni fencing club will probably be able to tell you the best places to purchase equipment from.

I suggest you begin by purchasing a glove and mask, then a sword, then slowly begin building up the rest of your kit. You don't necessarily have to buy everything at once, and seeing as you are only just starting, there is no need to purchase high-grade equipment.

I bought competition standard fencing gear in Hong Kong for ~ 200 quid. 1 mask, 3 swords, bag, full clothing, lame, glove etc
Did you just call it a 'sword'? :lolwut: What kind of fencing are we talking about here?

(Original post by aladcalledtommy)
X
I would be cautious when it comes to buying equipment from China - check the quality first! I don't intend to prejudge products from China, but make sure that your equipment complies with the FIE regulations. It's not 100% required (if you're not participating in FIE competitions) but offers a much better protection. If you can't afford an all FIE approved gear get at least a good mask, it's the most important part. You don't want to end like Vladimir Smirnov

Fencing isn't a dangerous sports, it's the equipment which makes it safe.
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure B&Q do some really great budget deals
Strangey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phantom_X)
I'm sure B&Q do some really great budget deals
Very good!

Bit predictable though, wasn't it?
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why can't you just loan it indefinitely?
Herr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aladcalledtommy)
So I have been interested in taking up fencing ever since I was little and I have just found out that the uni I am going to in September does £15 membership with their club and loan you the equipment. Whatta bargin! :B Only thing is, the equipment is loaned so in time I will have to buy myself the kit. I had a look online and it's bloody expensive! Not sure if I can afford it can anybody recommend how to get all the gear in the cheepest way possible? Without it being god awful quality

Thank's guys
You can buy them online from a US retailer for around half the price.

As someone who has been in it for a long time, I can advise you to just keep a lookout on some of the fencing club classified sections, almost always there is someone selling off their top-quality barely used equipment as these are people with more money than brains, they think they found the perfect sport, they buy some of the best equipment out there and attend 2 sessions and never go to one again because they find it isn't for them thus sell off the equipment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads