Areeb's Squat and DL form check :) Watch

AreebWithaHat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, lost 41lbs in the last 10/11 weeks (still a lot left to lose!) and halfway through my transformation I started to incorporate some strength training (ss). And although my lifts have increased I can't help but feel my form is terrible for some reason, so it would be a big help is some squat/DL experts could have a look and critique my form.
My balance was off on a couple of reps but I was fasting today and started feeling a little light-headed when I did these sets after my work sets for technique analysis.

Thanks for the help and please no trolling or harsh comments on how I look, it took a lot of effort to upload these because even after my weight loss I still feel embarrassed about my body.

Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INpHDB45ORA

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kooHRS7Cg

1992dean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by areebmazhar)
Hey guys, lost 41lbs in the last 10/11 weeks (still a lot left to lose!) and halfway through my transformation I started to incorporate some strength training (ss). And although my lifts have increased I can't help but feel my form is terrible for some reason, so it would be a big help is some squat/DL experts could have a look and critique my form.
My balance was off on a couple of reps but I was fasting today and started feeling a little light-headed when I did these sets after my work sets for technique analysis.

Thanks for the help and please no trolling or harsh comments on how I look, it took a lot of effort to upload these because even after my weight loss I still feel embarrassed about my body.

If you know your balance was off why get people to form check it?
Being light headed whilst squatting isnt a great idea

anyway well done on your weight loss!!

My views are (get someone to take better clips)
Your deadlift needs work:
you are arching your back before you even have lifted the weight, and it stays arched all the way up and back down. Get your bum/hips lower to begin with

Your squat is very unbalanced, at least you get low this is a good start

Maybe lower the weights until you are happy with your form and it feels good for you

Good Luck
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1992dean)
If you know your balance was off why get people to form check it?
Being light headed whilst squatting isnt a great idea

anyway well done on your weight loss!!

My views are (get someone to take better clips)
Your deadlift needs work:
you are arching your back before you even have lifted the weight, and it stays arched all the way up and back down. Get your bum/hips lower to begin with

Your squat is very unbalanced, at least you get low this is a good start

Maybe lower the weights until you are happy with your form and it feels good for you

Good Luck
Thanks for the advice Dean, normally my balance is good on both but I was already exhausted frommy work sets andcoupled with dehydration, this was a big contributor towards the imbalance. So I wanted to know form improvements ignoring the imbalance which I usally don't get. I think I'll takeyour advice and lower the weight. Thanks again
Sammydemon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Squat looks pretty nice (as far as I could see).

Your back doesn't look straight on the DL, it should be the same as at the bottom of the squat, pretty much.
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you doing the high or low bar squat? Looks like you're doing a low bar squat but in the high bar position. Make your mind up!
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammydemon)
Squat looks pretty nice (as far as I could see).

Your back doesn't look straight on the DL, it should be the same as at the bottom of the squat, pretty much.
Thanks for the help
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooosh)
Are you doing the high or low bar squat? Looks like you're doing a low bar squat but in the high bar position. Make your mind up!
I'm not really sure tbh, which one do you think is better and how should I adjust my technique for it?
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I watched your deadlift video, and it's immediately obvious that you have a serious problem with hamstring flexibility. You need to be doing a ton of mobility work for your hips and flexibility work for your hamstrings.

I'm not really sure tbh, which one do you think is better and how should I adjust my technique for it?
Low bar lends itself better to linear progression, and you don't go as deep with low bar, which for someone with your mobility, is probably an advantage. Don't mean to be a ****, but do you understand the difference between low bar and high bar squat? Do you understand the movements, in general, you are trying to perform?

Read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, from cover to cover, it's fine if you don't actually do the SS program, but you really need to biomechanically understand the movements you are trying to perform, if you want to be able to perform them to a high standard. It's all well and good when people parrot on "oh you need to stick your arse back" and "oh you need to keep your knees in line with toes", but a lot of people don't understand how small changes in form can significantly alter the movement you are doing, making it more efficient (or less so).
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would learn both. Just so you've learnt both. With high bar, the bar goes where it is now and you keep your back relatively upright. Knees CAN track past the toes but only if your weight is on your heels. You should be able to go deeper before you run into flexibility issues.

With low bar, the bar goes on your rear delts http://vimeo.com/30763907, you can lean forward more and you stick your ass back more. Toes should not track past knees, ideally they shouldn't move at all through the entire lift. If you're going to learn low bar I recommend you pick up a copy of starting strength, the book.

With both you force your knees out and keep them out through the whole thing.

Which is better? Low bar lets you move more weight but I personally prefer high bar since it has more carryover to front and low bar squatting. One thing that could be said for low bar though is that noobs usually porportionally stronger quads than their posterior chain, which low bar in the beginning can help fix.

If you have knee problems do low bar.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're doing ss, you should be doing a low-bar squat. Essentially, the bar should be just under the spine of your scapula (the little knobbly bit you can feel sticking out).
The low-bar uses more muscle mass and is thus slightly easier (And thus you can use a heavier weight) than the high-bar, which is a lot more quad dominant (and where you place the bar up on your traps).
You're doing high-bar atm.
I'd advise using a thumbless grip and trying to get your hands over the bar instead of under it.

Re deadlifts, your back is incredibly curved before you've even started to lift the weight. Before you pull, lift your chest up and make sure your low back is straight (Or you could genuinely end up causing yourself a serious injury), and make sure you maintain that position throughout the lift. If you can't, the weight is slightly too heavy.
AreebWithaHat
Rep:
?
(Original post by HFerguson)
I watched your deadlift video, and it's immediately obvious that you have a serious problem with hamstring flexibility. You need to be doing a ton of mobility work for your hips and flexibility work for your hamstrings.

Low bar lends itself better to linear progression, and you don't go as deep with low bar, which for someone with your mobility, is probably an advantage. Don't mean to be a ****, but do you understand the difference between low bar and high bar squat? Do you understand the movements, in general, you are trying to perform?

Read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, from cover to cover, it's fine if you don't actually do the SS program, but you really need to biomechanically understand the movements you are trying to perform, if you want to be able to perform them to a high standard. It's all well and good when people parrot on "oh you need to stick your arse back" and "oh you need to keep your knees in line with toes", but a lot of people don't understand how small changes in form can significantly alter the movement you are doing, making it more efficient (or less so).

(Original post by tooosh)
I would learn both. Just so you've learnt both. With high bar, the bar goes where it is now and you keep your back relatively upright. Knees CAN track past the toes but only if your weight is on your heels. You should be able to go deeper before you run into flexibility issues.

With low bar, the bar goes on your rear delts http://vimeo.com/30763907, you can lean forward more and you stick your ass back more. Toes should not track past knees, ideally they shouldn't move at all through the entire lift. If you're going to learn low bar I recommend you pick up a copy of starting strength, the book.

With both you force your knees out and keep them out through the whole thing.

Which is better? Low bar lets you move more weight but I personally prefer high bar since it has more carryover to front and low bar squatting. One thing that could be said for low bar though is that noobs usually porportionally stronger quads than their posterior chain, which low bar in the beginning can help fix.

If you have knee problems do low bar.

(Original post by jmlkey)
If you're doing ss, you should be doing a low-bar squat. Essentially, the bar should be just under the spine of your scapula (the little knobbly bit you can feel sticking out).
The low-bar uses more muscle mass and is thus slightly easier (And thus you can use a heavier weight) than the high-bar, which is a lot more quad dominant (and where you place the bar up on your traps).
You're doing high-bar atm.
I'd advise using a thumbless grip and trying to get your hands over the bar instead of under it.

Re deadlifts, your back is incredibly curved before you've even started to lift the weight. Before you pull, lift your chest up and make sure your low back is straight (Or you could genuinely end up causing yourself a serious injury), and make sure you maintain that position throughout the lift. If you can't, the weight is slightly too heavy.
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to lower the weight for the next few weeks, read starting strength closely and then practice perfecting my technique before adding on any weight.
InTheCity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get your ass down on those deads and drive through your heels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads