M.AKH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
myt sound stupid, bt How much biology does it involve?
I mean do you have to be an A grade biology student or is my C grade science gcse ok?
Can you go in knowing the basics and allow the uni to develop your knowledge or evven if your miraculously given an offer the pressure of biology would be so much you would end up dropping it?
M.AKH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
meant midwifery at degree level btw - incase that wsnt clear
lilabs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by M.AKH)
I mean do you have to be an A grade biology student or is my C grade science gcse ok?
Can you go in knowing the basics and allow the uni to develop your knowledge or evven if your miraculously given an offer the pressure of biology would be so much you would end up dropping it?
The foundations of it all is biology, so of course it is a huuuge part.
Uni's vary, most I have seen do not specifically say that they want biology, while others say a science subject of any kind at A level is necessary.
The uni will of course develop your knowledge, if they didn't you wouldn't be a great midwife! But I think as long as you've passed at least 5 subjects at GCSE you should be good.
LOUDLOUD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lilabs)
The foundations of it all is biology, so of course it is a huuuge part.
Uni's vary, most I have seen do not specifically say that they want biology, while others say a science subject of any kind at A level is necessary.
The uni will of course develop your knowledge, if they didn't you wouldn't be a great midwife! But I think as long as you've passed at least 5 subjects at GCSE you should be good.
whats considered science though? It varies amongst different subjects cuz the obvious r physics, chem n bio den in some respects geo and maths and psych are considered a science
what subjects do you currently study?
lilibeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never heard geo or maths referred to as sciences.

Psych/Sociology are deemed social sciences.
lilabs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LOUDLOUD)
whats considered science though? It varies amongst different subjects cuz the obvious r physics, chem n bio den in some respects geo and maths and psych are considered a science
what subjects do you currently study?
Chemistry, Biology and physics = science.

I study Biology, Psychology, Applied Science and Religious Studies.
LSD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lilibeth)
I've never heard geo or maths referred to as sciences.

Psych/Sociology are deemed social sciences.
Maths and geography are most definitely considered sciences.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
lilibeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LSD)
Maths and geography are most definitely considered sciences.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm not disputing the fact, just saying I've never heard of them being called science. Although I've not taken maths since GCSE.
LOUDLOUD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lilibeth)
I'm not disputing the fact, just saying I've never heard of them being called science. Although I've not taken maths since GCSE.
well they have been in terms of engineering/ geography degree
maths is also referred to as a science when studying for a psychology degree ect
knackered
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by M.AKH)
i am doing a level 3 access to midwifery this is the equivalent to A level/foundation degree standard . when i used a GCSE human biology book for my exam. my tutor said the answers were too general. so my advise to you is buy or loan " Myers midwifery" book and for revision buy an A level human biology book and then you will be in good stead for these subjects and you will know what these subjects entail. go to amazon books are pretty cheap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads