Smaller Dock connecter on the new iPhone Watch

jgibson18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of rumour concerning the new iPhone, or 'iPhone 5'. According to new reports, Apple are reducing the size of the dock connector from a 30 pin adapter to a 19 pin. This is to make room for a headphone jack at the bottom of the phone (see attached image).

Name:  newdock.png
Views: 75
Size:  117.2 KB

Now I admit this looks very good, and I think the phone would be better for it, but it means that all current apple accessories will become redundant. What does everyone this about this?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh wow, it looks like something my LG Cookie used. Great step forward, Apple. I can't believe they can't just go to a universal format. It's not like having a proprietary connector grants them control over the use of them in products, right? Or does it?
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah its annoying, but lots of the pins on the current dock connector are redundant, they were going to have to update it at some point, might as well be now.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's just general miniaturisation rather than to fit the headphone jack on the base, my Touch from '09 has that configuration. In terms of obsoleting 30pin accessories, there will no doubt be an accompanying converter, or at very least such an accessory will be pushed out by all manner of third party manufacturers.
Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I prefer the headphones where they are so my vote goes to the current connector. The new one reminds me of a Motorola connector.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads