Gym Workout Regimes Watch

Dinnes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

Basically my friend has convinced me to start going to the school gym for rugby's sake. I've just found a gym programme, and it all looks good, but I do have an issue.

Basically it's for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with different routines for each day. Even though I'm by no means skinny, it's a completely new experience for me and I'm really not used to it. I know most of the exercises but I'm not sure I want to have to commit three days a week at the moment, not only because I still need to sort out how committed I want to be to it generally but also because at this stage there's no point in shocking my body.

I don't know what to do because if I only do Fridays for instance, then I won't be getting the full mix of different activities and I will end up behind the few other people in my year who are doing gym.

What to do? I do want to get stronger, not only for rugby but also to an extent because it's nice to be perhaps a little vain about your appearance ;P But I need to ease myself into it while still doing enough.

Help!
Dan
1992dean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bacially if you can only go to a gym once a week you cant do a 3 day routine. You need a one day full body routine
It will take alot to shock your body as the body can handle alot
Dinnes
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1992dean)
Bacially if you can only go to a gym once a week you cant do a 3 day routine. You need a one day full body routine
It will take alot to shock your body as the body can handle alot
How about this?

Bench Presses: 4sets, 5reps
Narrow-grip Pull ups: 4sets, Max time
Bent over row: 4sets, 10reps
Bicep Curls: 3sets, 10reps

That also includes short rests inbetween each thing.

But I should also get some leg related stuff as well.

Can you add to this what you think will make it a full-body workout?
1992dean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
once a week training
get rid of bicep curls

Get in deadlifts, squats, bench press and do any assistant around that
To start with just get used to those 3
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol at OP thinking 3 times a week in the gym is "shocking the body"

(Original post by Dinnes)
How about this?

Bench Presses: 4sets, 5reps
Narrow-grip Pull ups: 4sets, Max time
Bent over row: 4sets, 10reps
Bicep Curls: 3sets, 10reps

That also includes short rests inbetween each thing.

But I should also get some leg related stuff as well.

Can you add to this what you think will make it a full-body workout?
Not fantastic. Want to be stronger for rugby? Squats and Deadlifts.
Dinnes
Rep:
?
(Original post by HFerguson)
Lol at OP thinking 3 times a week in the gym is "shocking the body"
Not for all you strong people ;P but I'm not used to the gym so I don't want to overdo it at the start. Will once a week make much difference?
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not for all you strong people ;P but I'm not used to the gym so I don't want to overdo it at the start. Will once a week make much difference?
Dude, even for someone who doesn't train at al, 3 times a week can't physically be overdoing it. Man up, go 3 times a week; DOMS the next 5 days? Suck it up and lift again, its the best cure for doms. You'll adapt within 4 weeks to going 3 times a week.
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not going to overdo **** at the beginning with three days a week as a super skinny ecto, let alone someone with at least some level of conditioning from rugby. If you want the most carryover to rugby, get on Starting Strength.

If you just want to get a feel, then do the following
3x5 squats
3x5 OHP
3x5 rows
3x5 flat bench
1x5 deadlift

You will NOT be able to sustain this for very long at all! Bear in mind on an actual program you will be doing half of that per session, but if you're only in once a week then you should try and get a feel for everything. Start light and learn form.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think this is an excellent opportunity to say -

Just do starting strength.

"Shocking your body" isn't a particularly bad thing, you'll adapt incredibly quickly, because the human body is actually pretty resilient, dontchaknow.
Dinnes
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooosh)
You're not going to overdo **** at the beginning with three days a week as a super skinny ecto, let alone someone with at least some level of conditioning from rugby. If you want the most carryover to rugby, get on Starting Strength.

If you just want to get a feel, then do the following
3x5 squats
3x5 OHP
3x5 rows
3x5 flat bench
1x5 deadlift

You will NOT be able to sustain this for very long at all! Bear in mind on an actual program you will be doing half of that per session, but if you're only in once a week then you should try and get a feel for everything. Start light and learn form.
Right. Fair enough - now it's down to how much gym stuff I want to do. If I'm going to do it three times a week I'll use the schedule thing I already have.

I am tempted to do a three-times-a-week routine. Considering in term time I'll be doing rugby probably 3 times a week will I still need to keep that up?
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Basically my friend has convinced me to start going to the school gym for rugby's sake. I've just found a gym programme, and it all looks good, but I do have an issue.

Basically it's for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with different routines for each day. Even though I'm by no means skinny, it's a completely new experience for me and I'm really not used to it. I know most of the exercises but I'm not sure I want to have to commit three days a week at the moment, not only because I still need to sort out how committed I want to be to it generally but also because at this stage there's no point in shocking my body.

I don't know what to do because if I only do Fridays for instance, then I won't be getting the full mix of different activities and I will end up behind the few other people in my year who are doing gym.

What to do? I do want to get stronger, not only for rugby but also to an extent because it's nice to be perhaps a little vain about your appearance ;P But I need to ease myself into it while still doing enough.

Help!
Dan
It is not much of a commitment though.
All you need is to put in an hour or just over per session to achieve the required goals and when you consider what you would probably use that hour for, it all of a sudden seems like very little effort
Dinnes
Rep:
?
Eegh I am tempted. I will think on it
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Right. Fair enough - now it's down to how much gym stuff I want to do. If I'm going to do it three times a week I'll use the schedule thing I already have.

I am tempted to do a three-times-a-week routine. Considering in term time I'll be doing rugby probably 3 times a week will I still need to keep that up?
You can do it twice a week if you're not recovering properly. And the plan you came up with is bad for rugby without squats and deadlifts.
Dinnes
Rep:
?
(Original post by tooosh)
You can do it twice a week if you're not recovering properly. And the plan you came up with is bad for rugby without squats and deadlifts.
Hmm okay. Yeah ignore the one I put on here, that's rubbish. There's a really good one I have for a 3 times a week schedule, specifically made for senior rugby people, so I may try and do that.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read the stickies they are their for a reason

Also look up WS4SB

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
rattyryan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ignore the advice by these guys above. For someone completely new to lifting, to go straight into 3 times a week is a stress and shock to your body and central nervous system. There is also no point in training if your still aching for the previous session for the muscle group your about to train, it would be detrimental to the point in doing it in the first place. This is where you'd be overtraining. Aye these guys can do it because their body is use to it. Each person is different and overtraining is dependent on each individuals body, lifestyle, diet. If I'm still aching from a session then I'll give it another day or switch up the exercises. A routine doesn't have to be set in stone.

Further more, if your not up for doing 3 days a week. Then theres no point in advising him to do it. This is the problem with personal trainers...they push their clients beyond what they want to do so people just end up quitting.

I'd also advocate a simple full body routine though in your position. Do it twice a week say Monday and Thursday. Idea of a full body routine is to hit each muscle group once in a session then have 48 - 72 hours rest till the next session. Usually with like 4 compound exercises and 2 isolations. For example
Monday:
Squat 3 x 8
Barbell Bench Press 3 x 8
Db shoulder press 3 x 8
Bent over barbell row 3 x 8
Db curls 2 x 12
Tricep ext 2 x 12

Thursday:
Deadlift 3 x 8
Incline db bench press 3 x 8
Wide grip pull ups 3 x 8
Wide grip upright row 3 x 8
Calf raises 2 x 12
Rear delt raise 2 x 12

Simple. Or do 3 compounds 1 iso. Upto you. 90 secs rest between sets n 120 for isos. Change the exercises regularly. Only takes like 45 mins each workout.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed