Chantelle0ox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I officially have dyslexia and just wanted to know what I get in terms of DSA. Ive found all the information so unhelpful so if anyone who gets DSA and who has dyslexia could let me know what they get that would be fab!
fluttershy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you apply you will have to go for an assessment which will determine exactly what you are entitled too based on your needs. The main things are that you will probably get a laptop and printer to help with your work, and also things like a recording device to record lectures. They will also include software with your laptop to further help you, such as text to speech and/or speech recognition. The University themselves will also be able to claim for things like extra time in exams and for assistance and extra tutoring. The assessment too will be sent to your tutors and if agreed then they will have to follow guidance on it (for example some lecturers don't allow people to record lectures or use laptops in lectures, but if it's on your assessment that you can then they have to let you).
The actual assessment will normally take place either at the University you have a place at or your local University.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You may get a note taker. A lot of it depends on what your Dyslexia report says the main areas you struggle in.
conniebee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My boyfriend has dyslexia and my friend was tested for it at Uni. I'm not an expert or 100% sure, so don't take my word as gospel. My boyfriend has been diagnosed since he was little so he was given a new Macbook, Dragon Dictation software, a printer, a Dictaphone and when he needed new books/printer ink, he could claim it back off of DSA if he kept the receipts and sent off the paperwork. I used to help him write out his paperwork and tidy up his essays after he'd dictated them. He was given extra time in exams and was allowed his dictation software and laptop to help him.
Rubydoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it depends on the areas and the level of your dylexia for example mine is severe in my memory reading and comprehension (sentances been correct n tht ) and spelling so i would ideally need a laptop and softwear and a printer because i can read on pink paper better if i was you i would get a copy of your diagnostic assesment read it and get to grips with your level of weakness in each thing and get an idea of what you think would help you because everyones different but like the other people have said you are entitled to all them things but only if its relevant to you because theres different levels of dylexia from moderate to severe as im in the severe spectrum i would need more help than someone who is moderate

look into the DSA allowance i think you get like up to £5000 for computer aid and £2000 for helpers and extra costs like printing over your 2 years in higher education dont quote me but its somthing like tht

hope thats helped !
Rubydoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
3 years ***
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
24.22%
No (97)
75.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed