Support in sixth form? - please help! Watch

dancer2209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm starting sixth form in September but I'm absolutely terrified. During the last two years of high school, I had depression and experienced very bad panic attacks, to the point where I struggled to walk or communicate with anyone, breathe, move. I often got sick fromthem and/or nearly passed out. They got worse towards the middle of year 11 and carried on throughout the year, ruining my last two years of school. I had support in school. My head of year knew what was going on and would help me. I only began feeling safe in school once she knew what was happening. Now I'm going to sixth form, I've been told that they won't support me or help me with this and I'll be expected to just "grow up and deal with it alone". I'm extremely scared as I've always been a straight A student and my parents really want me to go to college. I was just wondering if anyone could help me by telling me if I'd have any support in my 2 years there or if I would be expected to deal with it alone? I don't want babying and for someone to hold my hand and take pity on me, but I feel I'd need some sort support. What kind of support system do sixth forms have in place for things like this and how should I go about getting it? If my college were to find out about this, would it lead to me being kicked out because of it? Will they still give me my place if my grades are good come results day? Please help. Any advice or info is appreciated!
Koralyn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dancer2209)
Hi, I'm starting sixth form in September but I'm absolutely terrified. During the last two years of high school, I had depression and experienced very bad panic attacks, to the point where I struggled to walk or communicate with anyone, breathe, move. I often got sick fromthem and/or nearly passed out. They got worse towards the middle of year 11 and carried on throughout the year, ruining my last two years of school. I had support in school. My head of year knew what was going on and would help me. I only began feeling safe in school once she knew what was happening. Now I'm going to sixth form, I've been told that they won't support me or help me with this and I'll be expected to just "grow up and deal with it alone". I'm extremely scared as I've always been a straight A student and my parents really want me to go to college. I was just wondering if anyone could help me by telling me if I'd have any support in my 2 years there or if I would be expected to deal with it alone? I don't want babying and for someone to hold my hand and take pity on me, but I feel I'd need some sort support. What kind of support system do sixth forms have in place for things like this and how should I go about getting it? If my college were to find out about this, would it lead to me being kicked out because of it? Will they still give me my place if my grades are good come results day? Please help. Any advice or info is appreciated!
Firstly, I went through something similar at GCSE, and so I can understand to some extent what you've been through. It's horrible, and you have my sympathy.

Secondly, the fact that you've now been told to 'grow up and deal with it alone' is totally wrong. I'm sure there will be a pastoral carer at your college, whose responsibility it is to help with students personal problems, not just school work. The pastoral carer at my sixth form is always around for us to drop by and talk to - her office is even set right in the middle of our common room, to encourage us to go to her more often for help.

I think it's also worth pointing out that at A level, the student-teacher relationships change. They start to treat you more as a responsible, trust-worthy individual instead of just a little kid. All of my teachers have become people I respect and go to for support over the past year that I have been studying at AS level, which was definitely not the case at GCSE. Having more members of staff that you can trust may make you feel more grounded at sixth form, and lessen the panic attacks to some extent? I know it did for me, at least.

Your college finding out about your situation should not affect you at all. They shouldn't treat you any differently, apart from maybe offering the extra support and help you might need. You certainly won't be kicked out because of it. If your grades are good at results day, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be given a place.

I don't know you, but from your post I get the impression that you are a determined individual, especially to be an A grade student whilst dealing with something like this. I'm sure that you will be fine at sixth form.

Good luck - I hope this helped!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Now I'm going to sixth form, I've been told that they won't support me or help me with this and I'll be expected to just "grow up and deal with it alone".

If my college were to find out about this, would it lead to me being kicked out because of it? !

I do not understand

Do the college know or not

If they know then I do not understand the question about being kicked out

If they do not know how have they told you there will be no support
dancer2209
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Firstly, thank you for replying. I'm sorry that you had to go through something similar. I understand what you said about the teachers. Hopefully that change will help lessen the panic attacks, as you said. Thank you

The college don't know. I meant that, if I started college and it continued, would they allow me to carry on studying there? Because at GCSE, it rmeant that my grades suffered a lot.

I've been told they won't support me as much and I should grow up by my chemistry teacher at GCSE, and my parents also.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads