The Student Room Group

When did YOU first say "I love you"

I love hearing other people's stories about this! Firstly because I'm a hopeless romantic, and secondly because I have been with my boyfriend for two months and this is therefore a topic that is on my mind quite a bit. :colondollar:

Don't get me wrong, I am not ready to tell him I love him.. But this guy is special and unlike anyone I have ever been with before. I have never told any of my boyfriends in the past that I love them, and I can see myself falling badly for my current boyfriend.

So please share!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheeky little bump.
Reply 2
I first fell in love at 16

I last fell in love at 28
Reply 3
After about 4/5 months into the relationship. People throw around that word waaay too much. It has lost it's meaning.
In my first year of university- I think we were in our second term and I'd realized for a few months that I had feelings for my best friend/flatmate. It's quite a good story actually. I'd just got back from a night out and she was still awake with this other guy who happened to have mislaid his epileptic pills. Anyway, he needed them so we had to take him to the local hospital at 4am.

When we got there, he went in to see the doctor and it was just me and my flatmate in the waiting area. At this point I had the crazy idea of telling her that I was in love with her. She rejected me in the nicest way possible and that was that. I was pretty gutted and still am tbh but such is life! There will be other opportunities and next time I'll be sure to do it differently.
He's my first boyfriend...we first said the 'big 3 words' about 3 months into our relationship - just around Xmas time when we were doing more family things together :smile: and continue to be falling even more ever since haha!
I think I was quick. I said it about 1 month after our first date, but we lived near each other in halls so it would be normal to progress quickly seeing each other most days.
Never.
Reply 8
I havent been on here in a year, but while chatting to bf/friends over fb i like something to read else i get bored....and i like topics like this..anyway...

One of my recent boyfriends texted me the 'i love you' only a few weeks in, and it just made it sound really un-meaningful. at the time i remember thinking i'd rather him have said it in person, at an appropriate moment, not just out of the blue and by text.

the boyfriend after him was never even official because we fell out literally every time we saw each other, but I remember him saying he loved me, and it really meant nothing! i dont think he knew the meaning of the word.

my current boyfriend has never had a girlfriend before, and he's a sensitive 'nice guy' who I reckon takes it more seriously and will say it meaningfully at some time in the future.
Reply 9
Hmm, I'm not one for telling people I love them. I don't tell friends I do. If I say it though, I really mean it.

I've loved this one girl though for ages, but shes never felt the same way back, and she had completely forgot I had told her I did about 5 years ago... (a long time)

I forked up the courage to tell her how I felt again, because the night before she was acting funny for some reason and I thought it was the last time I would see her as we didn't say bye properly. I was actually crying my eyes out because I felt so much whilst listening to this song thinking of her for some reason.

Anyway, she met up with me to say bye the next day out of the blue and I asked if we could just go on a little drive, as I prefer the night atmosphere for such things.

She had no idea I still felt like that after telling her I still had feelings for her, and as we got out of my car for her to get back into hers, I hugged her and whispered that I'd miss her so much, and I said "I love you", because I knew I really felt it deep inside me. It was this strong feeling.

It meant so much to me, and she said "I love you too" as she got into her car, but she doesn't have feelings for me in that way.

I still felt it was a special moment... Its the first time I've actually said it to someone whos not family and whilst there with them...
(edited 11 years ago)
Said it after about a week of talking. We were not even dating. But it was real. Together 6 years later :wink:
When I was being noshed off

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
My first boyfriend decided that we shouldn't sleep together unless we were in love.

After 6 months i was getting very frustrated, so i thought fibbing and saying 'i love you' first might hurry the process on a bit.

In hindsight it was pretty mean, i think i did love him (ish) at the time.
Hmmm I was 13 (nearly 14) when I fell in love, 15 when I first said the words... over the internet (ldr). I don't actually remember the first time we actually said it in person to each other.
Not yet, me and my boyfriend have only been together ~4 months though (though we've known each other 2ish years as like friends of friends).
For some reason all my friends expect us to be in love already despite the fact we havn't been going out long... They keep saying things about love aimed at us whenever we're all hanging out and it makes it all awkward :redface:
Feel like I am falling for him though, but want to be 100% sure I mean it when I say it... Never been in love before so not sure how it feels :rolleyes:
With my first boyfriend, 7 months into our relationship. He didn't say it back during and we broke up a month later, but 2 years after we broke up we started talking again and he said he had loved me. Dick.

My second boyfriend said it first about 6 months in and I said it back because I felt I should. We went out for two years, not sure when I actually felt it with him.

My current boyfriend and I met one night and were inseparable ever since. We spent the entire next week together and it took us 2 weeks to say it. He said it first during sex (what an absolute cliche) and I said it back immediately because I felt it too. This guy is something special. We've been going out for 5 months and we're falling more in love every day.
Four years into the relationship.

We were fourteen when we first got together, and I've only just told him a couple of months ago that I loved him.

I find it difficult to portray my emotions to people, and he understood that. We never had to actually say those words; we just knew.

So, I said it randomly one day when we were watching a movie, and he said it, too.

And then we broke up.
Reply 17
In my next relationship I'm going to be stubborn and make sure not to say it first.
Reply 18
You know the typical 13 year olds who say "I love you" via text or social networking sites after going out for about two days? Well that was my boyfriend and I!
We started going out aged 13 and were very shy people, so we mostly talked online rather than in person. However we eventually became comfortable with each other and stayed together for well over a year.

Aged 16 we were still good friends but both went out with someone else. After his birthday party, we admitted to each other by text that we still loved each other. We've now been back together for 2 years :biggrin:

So although we first said it by text/online, we really do love each other and the 3 words are very special to us.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
I've never said it.

I don't want to be the one to say it first and I've never really been in a LTR long enough for it to feel appropriate. I suppose it's a cultural thing as well, I'm not English and I have a different relationship to the "phrase" - it's not thrown around like it is in English/American romance movies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending