What is the best student account? Watch

>Username<
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of opening an account soon. It will basically hold some money but not a lot, I'm talking about £100.00 at the maximum.

There are so many accounts and banks, it's hard to tell which is the best. But at the same time, I think what I want it something really basic in which case does it not matter what bank I use?

Thanks.
ninja_pidgeon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Co-op bank student account - best interest rates, biggest overdraft and generally really good! Also they dont mind how much you put in, you can open it on £1 if you really want

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
drummer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been with HSBC for a while. just changed to a student account this summer and they gave me a £750 overdraft for this year. I've not had any problems with them.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you actually mean a student account? As in you're a uni student. Because a student bank acount is only for those in uni. It's just I imagine if you are only planning on having £100 in it you don't mean a student account.
megvond18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For student accounts, meaning accounts for peoples in uni, can we apply for them now? or do we wait until we have our results?
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by megvond18)
For student accounts, meaning accounts for peoples in uni, can we apply for them now? or do we wait until we have our results?
You need your results, or more specifically the UCAS letter which confirms your acceptance onto the course which you only get after results.
journalismus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to wait until September unfortunately to open one, since to open most student accounts you need to be 18.

Moneysavingexpert.com do a comparison of all the available student accounts each year, but this year's hasn't been added yet as details for most of them aren't available.

They have a guide from last year on there though if you want to have a look - I imagine the accounts will be quite similar this year, maybe some different freebies or something.
megvond18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
You need your results, or more specifically the UCAS letter which confirms your acceptance onto the course which you only get after results.
Thanks for the heads up
>Username<
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Do you actually mean a student account? As in you're a uni student. Because a student bank acount is only for those in uni. It's just I imagine if you are only planning on having £100 in it you don't mean a student account.
Sorry I should have been more specific. No, I'm not a Uni student. I'm going to be starting college.
kikimckenzie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I only know the details of an RBS Student Royalties Account but they require you to deposit at least £750 every 3 months.
The_Jakal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know that a lot of the banks have not yet released all of their information as of yet. It's best to wait in order to get yourself the best deal possible.

There are lots of websites where you can check the best ones available:

http://www.savethestudent.org/money/...ts-201011.html

http://www.studentbankaccounts.co.uk/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

Hope that helps everyone.
matthew67
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I recently opened a HSBC Student Account. Easy setup: apply online and finish the application in the branch. They need proof that you will be a student and a month's statement from any other banks you are with, along with your passport as well.

I received a letter today (roughly a week later from opening my account) confirming my £750 interest-free overdraft available to me now. Should receive my VISA card shortly. There is an option for a Student Credit Card as well with HSBC but I didn't take that.
jms
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They all seem to be very similar this year with the only real difference being the perks.

Santander give new customers £50 for opening a student account if you do it before the 31st of August, so I went with them.
BHill
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im currently doing a research piece and would love your help answering a 2 min survey about student accounts, rough answers will do if you dont currently have one. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2VZ7BPM
a3126
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natwest give you a free rail card for the whole time you are at uni. There is no interest, but hey!
The_Jakal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a3126)
Natwest give you a free rail card for the whole time you are at uni. There is no interest, but hey!
Natwest are now only giving railcards to customers who have been with them from before May 2012.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed