How would you choose which of your children was to live? Watch

abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-executed.html

It's an awful position to be put in, being told one of your children will be killed and you have to choose which. It got me thinking though, in a situation like that where there was no real alternative but to choose, what would affect your choice? Would you think as little as possible and try to pick a child at random? Would you consider age? Gender? Would you refuse to pick at all?

Any thoughts?
icancount23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd chose the one i prefer, obviously.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by icancount23)
I'd chose the one i prefer, obviously.
That's impossible!
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't be able to, I'd ask to be shot instead to be honest.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
whichever has been less trouble when it comes to doing chores
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really should stop reading the comments on sites like the Daily Mail. I know it's fun to laugh at them sometimes, but they do start to really depress you when you realise there is a significant amount of people actually like that living around you - probably in your very street. All the top rated comments on that article basically say "good", "they deserve it" and some even express support for the Syrian government to use chemical and biological weapons against any country that tries to intervene...

Anyway, I have no idea how I'd choose. While of sane mind I don't think I could, but under a situation like that I have no idea - those 2 were 5 and 16, perhaps the youngest? Can't really back that up with logical reasoning but then, this isn't a logical event!
icancount23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abc:))
That's impossible!
I was only joking. I'd pick the child that I thought would procreate the most.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Strawberrycayk)
I wouldn't be able to, I'd ask to be shot instead to be honest.
I don't think that's how these kinda people operate - they don't take requests! A lot of the time when this is reported in past conflicts, if you don't choose they'd kill both of them. So you really have to get one of your children killed, no matter how difficult it is to do so.
amirlad
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
eenie meenie minie mo.

in all seriousness, i don't think i'd be able to choose. I'd sooner die.
littlemissmidget123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dont know how id do it - id probably end up trying to protect both kids and fight and then risk the fact that one of them would then be killed at random - if i had to choose then i may chose one over the other if it was ill and was dying or very ill i.e. had severe cancer, illness or injury or similar, if one was disabled or otherwise ill i.e. mentally ill and possibly not aware of what was happening but the other was id pick the disabled kid - just to spare my child any pain if at all possible. otherwise i do not know - probably just refuse to pick and protect them both.
umarrehman187
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i would tell them to play scissor rock paper and whoever wins goes as in future they might oppose me hahahahahahahah
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I couldn't.

Assad is really pissing me off now, why can't the prick just die.
mare?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I'd pull a Sophie and asks for the boy to live... nah, I don't know, this question is easy to answer if you don't have kids.
Liam6993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That must really be THE hardest decision anyone could ever have to make. I honestly couldn't choose if I was the parent, I don't know what I'd do in that situation, but I know that if I was one of the children then I'd be begging my parents to sacrifice me. Thinking about this kind of thing really makes me realise how much I love my siblings, as irritating as they are at times.
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
I don't think that's how these kinda people operate - they don't take requests! A lot of the time when this is reported in past conflicts, if you don't choose they'd kill both of them. So you really have to get one of your children killed, no matter how difficult it is to do so.
Yeah I know It's awful! But if put in that position I'd freeze up, there's no way I'd be able to pick. I can't do that with my parents and siblings either so if it comes to my own children it'll be impossible.

(Original post by amirlad)
eenie meenie minie mo.

in all seriousness, i don't think i'd be able to choose. I'd sooner die.
Yup

This is such a depressing thread :cry2:
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abc:))
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-executed.html

It's an awful position to be put in, being told one of your children will be killed and you have to choose which. It got me thinking though, in a situation like that where there was no real alternative but to choose, what would affect your choice? Would you think as little as possible and try to pick a child at random? Would you consider age? Gender? Would you refuse to pick at all?

Any thoughts?
might as well just toss a coin
Formerly Helpful_C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh, it appears that the propaganda is working.

Simple minds accept without questioning.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
Ahh, it appears that the propaganda is working.

Simple minds accept without questioning.
I personally think it's more a case of simple minds rejecting anything in Western media simply because it's Western media...

While this particular story may or may not be true (despite it being very plausible), it's gone far past the point where the West can just spin things to suit their agenda. Though I do wonder what goes through the minds of people who believe all these things are a CIA conspiracy etc. (not necessarily you, obviously your post gives virtually nothing away). Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan just get dismissed as "IT'S FOR THE OIL!!!!!!!", but what about Syria? What about Egypt? Why have they not interfered in Iran? Why was there an uprising in Bahrain despite the West seemingly preferring the status-quo?
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Flip a coin. Genuinely. You're never going to be able to make the choice, so don't. Leave it to chance.

If you're not allowed to use anything other than thought, find something that you can use to make the decision for you. E.g. will there be birds flying in front of the window in 4 seconds? If so, kill x. Something like that. I just know that either choice would come with self-hate and regret, so delegating the choice to an inanimate object has to be the way to go.
Spaz Man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd rather get myself killed trying to save them than have to choose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads