Aston Uni Accommodation or private halls ? Watch

rezii29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello People.Im having a tough choice. I'm looking for the best accommodation available disregarding the price. Which is the best in terms of facilities, beauty, location,. In everything really lol. I'll be starting my 1st year in sept.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're probably better off on campus as that's where most other first years are and it's much easier to get to lectures than being off site. Some of the off campus accommodation isn't very nice looking but it's quite close.
andrewkeith5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In first year I would say you're always better off in University accommodation. The experience is unmatched, and you're likely to be with a more varied mix of people as nobody gets to choose who they live with (in private accommodation most people will choose who they want to live with, so you're likely to end up tagging onto a group you might not get on with - in uni accommodation you'll almost certainly get on with a couple of people in your flat!)

There are also the advantages of being close to uni, which is important as that's where you'll meet new friends and that's where they'll want to do or meet for social activities.

I stayed in lakeside in my first year (gosh that was 4 years ago now ), and I still recommend it if you can get it, it's the mid range price brand and the quality is very similar to the new build. The new build accommodation (which I can't remember the name of) is very nice, but a little pricey and the rooms are fairly variable in size.

If you're really, really keen on private accommodation (although I'd recommend waiting until you've found a group of 5 or 6 people to live with for second year before "going private") then I would recommend either Cosmo, Canalside or Jennens Court, although Jennens Court is 75% filled by BCU freshers so isn't as good as it used to be! Other options are Unite at The Heights, Londonderry House or Curzon Gateway but I personally don't rate Unite accommodation (it tends to be very, very expensive for what you get). All are within 5 minutes of uni.
djhebk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rezii29)
Hello People.Im having a tough choice. I'm looking for the best accommodation available disregarding the price. Which is the best in terms of facilities, beauty, location,. In everything really lol. I'll be starting my 1st year in sept.

I live in private accommodation at a place called Hamstead Campus. I don't go to Aston myself but do have friends here that do. the campus is North of Birmingham in Handsworth wood, the area here is OK and there are shops within walking distance (there is one on campus too!) We also have a gym and pub which has some really good events.....
JakeE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about Opal 1? I got a letter about it through my door a week or so ago... a bit cheaper than lakeside and newbuild and looks quite nice from what i've seen????

thanks
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JakeE10)
What about Opal 1? I got a letter about it through my door a week or so ago... a bit cheaper than lakeside and newbuild and looks quite nice from what i've seen????

thanks
If you're in freshers year of Aston Uni I wouldn't recommend it.

Opal 1 is VERY far from the Aston campus (the other side of town, probably a 45minute to an hour walk at least (with no direct buses afaik)), and is really designed for students of University of Birmingham.

For freshers being so far away from uni will mean you may struggle to get too involved in the more social side of uni life, as almost everyone else will be on campus and the people you'll be living near at Opal 1 are likely to be 2nd years with a fairly strong group of friends.

If you're past freshers year it might be something to consider if you really want to be far from Uni and take in a different part of Birmingham.
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by andrewkeith5)
If you're in freshers year of Aston Uni I wouldn't recommend it.

Opal 1 is VERY far from the Aston campus (the other side of town, probably a 45minute to an hour walk at least (with no direct buses afaik)), and is really designed for students of University of Birmingham.

For freshers being so far away from uni will mean you may struggle to get too involved in the more social side of uni life, as almost everyone else will be on campus and the people you'll be living near at Opal 1 are likely to be 2nd years with a fairly strong group of friends.

If you're past freshers year it might be something to consider if you really want to be far from Uni and take in a different part of Birmingham.
Ah ok, i was thinking that this would be the case! Doesn't sound like it would suit me at all then! Thanks for the reply!
ABaruwal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

thanks
Choose campus dude, you'll miss out on whole lot of fun if you live off-campus. I had few mates last year who did and they said how much they regretted it.

Second year on campus for me too as its so convenient/safe/and everything else.

Good luck for tomorrow buddy!
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah ok, i was thinking that this would be the case! Doesn't sound like it would suit me at all then! Thanks for the reply!
Not a problem!

You really are best off on campus for freshers year, it might cost a little more but it really is worth it being so close to all your new friends! You also have so much less to worry about.

If you are thinking of anywhere else I know (or know someone who knows) about most places so don't hesitate to ask.
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ABaruwal)
Choose campus dude, you'll miss out on whole lot of fun if you live off-campus. I had few mates last year who did and they said how much they regretted it.

Second year on campus for me too as its so convenient/safe/and everything else.

Good luck for tomorrow buddy!
I think that is defo the best choice then!

Yep, just need to get accepted now!! Which is the hardest part!

Thanks mate
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a problem!

You really are best off on campus for freshers year, it might cost a little more but it really is worth it being so close to all your new friends! You also have so much less to worry about.

If you are thinking of anywhere else I know (or know someone who knows) about most places so don't hesitate to ask.
Yeah it does make sense now i've thought about it! Thanks again
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah it does make sense now i've thought about it! Thanks again
Again no worries! What was your offer and for what course? I'm sure you've got what you need - everyone is thinking the same as you at this time of year! Exams generally go better than you feel they go, in my experience
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Again no worries! What was your offer and for what course? I'm sure you've got what you need - everyone is thinking the same as you at this time of year! Exams generally go better than you feel they go, in my experience
Hope so! My offer is BBB and i'll be studying languages. (German with spanish alongside it). What do you study?
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that is defo the best choice then!

Yep, just need to get accepted now!! Which is the hardest part!

Thanks mate
German is in Clearing, I've seen it, so I'm sure you'll be fine
andrewkeith5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hope so! My offer is BBB and i'll be studying languages. (German with spanish alongside it). What do you study?
As Hannah says I'm sure you'll be fine It should be a really enjoyable course for you too!

Alas I graduated this year but I was studying Marketing I have a fair few friends who studied languages though.
XO*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I applied for Lakeside, looks on par with the New Build but slightly cheaper.
Just need to meet my offer which I am scared I have missed. Even though, Econ & Management is in clearing...
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
German is in Clearing, I've seen it, so I'm sure you'll be fine
Yeah I saw it before! Was pleased to see it there, must be a good sign. Also noticed that they have actually lowered the entry requirements by 2 grades for clearing! Must be very little demand for the course.

Thanks
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As Hannah says I'm sure you'll be fine It should be a really enjoyable course for you too!

Alas I graduated this year but I was studying Marketing I have a fair few friends who studied languages though.
Ah cool, well i did want to apply for IBML but the entry requirements were too high for me :rolleyes: .... Fingers crossed ill be ok!
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I saw it before! Was pleased to see it there, must be a good sign. Also noticed that they have actually lowered the entry requirements by 2 grades for clearing! Must be very little demand for the course.

Thanks
Yeah I think so, there's never that many people. Kinda sad really
Let us know what happens.
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
Yeah I think so, there's never that many people. Kinda sad really
Let us know what happens.
Will do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Aston University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads