quick question Watch

This discussion is closed.
grace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
probably a bit boring, but i need to know, does anyone know what the opposite of existentialism is?

Cheers
xxx Grace xxx
boygenious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grace)
probably a bit boring, but i need to know, does anyone know what the opposite of existentialism is?

Cheers
xxx Grace xxx
non-existentialism
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grace)

Cheers
xxx Grace xxx

non-existentialism

I'll tell you that for free.
grace
Rep:
?
(Original post by gayboy09)
non-existentialism

I'll tell you that for free.
are u being serious? Or are u taking the piss? I can't tell the difference!! lol
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Imprisoned? Confined?? (I'm taking existentialism to mean that people are free to make their own decisions)
Adhsur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is no direct opposite to Existentialism. It's like saying what is the opposite of a table. :rolleyes:

The closest would be fatalism/determinism which means we have no choice (see my earlier thread!)
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Imprisoned? Confined?? (I'm taking existentialism to mean that people are free to make their own decisions)
and you would be wrong.

If you writing it got an essay you could talk about inherant purpose as the opposite :confused:
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Existentialism doesn't have a direct polar opposite philosophical system. Existentialism is one of many philosophical systems. Existentialism is part of 'continental' philosophy which, however, is often contrasted against 'Anglo-Saxon' philosophy. The former believes that philosophy is an art, the latter that philosophy should be scientific.
hmm education and politics are quite philosophical in our Anglo-Saxon country in that case
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
There is no direct opposite to Existentialism. It's like saying what is the opposite of a table. :rolleyes:

The closest would be fatalism/determinism which means we have no choice (see my earlier thread!)
A non-table! (ok, mayb not.....)
Adhsur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
A non-table! (ok, mayb not.....)
You're such a cheat. lol. No - because a non-table could mean a computer, a tree, a cat...anything. And those would hardly be called opposites of a table.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I read a little bit of Jean-Paul Satre's work. he was one of the key people in existensialism, so he'd be a person to read

ignore that comment. just re-read your question ... "opposite of ..."!!
grace
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
inherant purpose as the opposite :confused:
that sounds more like what i'm after...i'm writing an essay on Tennyson's "Eleänore" about personal debasement in the presence of perfection and want to speak about how she is capable of altering ones worldly stance so that it is *opposite of existentialism*...
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You're such a cheat. lol. No - because a non-table could mean a computer, a tree, a cat...anything. And those would hardly be called opposites of a table.
of course they would

Oh btw Adhsur - 'You can't use the external world as proof of the external world' makes sense ...right?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
I read a little bit of by Jean-Paul Satre's work. he was one of the key people in existensialism, so he'd be a person to read.
read some of his stuff last year in my french class - by the way am i surrrounded by budding philosophy students in here or are there Law students here too - i can pick out corey and gnostic as the philos
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why not? That's just society's interpretation...
grace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
read some of his stuff last year in my french class - by the way am i surrrounded by budding philosophy students in here or are there Law students here too - i can pick out corey and gnostic as the philos
what about ME?! Lol, i am a follower of epistemology!!!!!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's a paradox for you - I'm a law graduate who is a lover of sophia
i dont get it - but will do when i read up a little more or regain my memory - and dont worry Kate Heskins - i'll chat to u more when i know what epistemology is!!!!!!!!!!
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's a paradox for you - I'm a law graduate who is a lover of sophia
That doesn't seem very paradoxical to me....
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
That doesn't seem very paradoxical to me....
i am torn between epicureanism and the stoicism
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually it's not - see Chomsky (the mind is structured before birth to recognise valid dualisms).
Bah, philosophers, there's no right or wrong with you lot...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (685)
90.85%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (69)
9.15%

Watched Threads