This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
i am torn between epicureanism and the stoicism
I'm torn between my Avirex jacket and my trenchcoat... blud...
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am torn between epicureanism and the stoicism
Yeah, i'm seeing your angle...
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
You're such a cheat. lol. No - because a non-table could mean a computer, a tree, a cat...anything. And those would hardly be called opposites of a table.
I was joking.....
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
probably a bit boring, but i need to know, does anyone know what the opposite of existentialism is?

Cheers
xxx Grace xxx
hypotheticalism
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i dont get it - but will do when i read up a little more or regain my memory - and dont worry Kate Heskins - i'll chat to u more when i know what epistemology is!!!!!!!!!!
1.) who is kate heskins?

2.) epistemology is the philosophy of knowledge, concerned with the various ways of knowing and the problems of differing aspects of obtaining knowledge
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Yeah, i'm seeing your angle...
hmm - it is a tough choice u know - but maybe my days spent as a stoic at school need to be balanced out by some hardcore epicureanism at uni - drinking like a fish and getting some action- hmm this seems like a plan to me - then be a stoic again when i get married
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Try neoplatonism one day.
enlighten me with an outline and i'll give u my opinion
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One should not confuse moral nihilism with epistemological nihilism - one can believe that morality is simply "the sign langaue" of the emotions and yet believe that "objective knowledge" is possible - see Popper.
Not only is there no right or wrong, whatever you try is ultra fraff :confused:

Good old economics for me, all economists are wrong but they know what they're on about...
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
1.) who is kate heskins?

2.) epistemology is the philosophy of knowledge, concerned with the various ways of knowing and the problems of differing aspects of obtaining knowledge
ah sorry for the mix up Grace - my senses were quite literally invaded by a plethora of different names and confused me - and i think epistemology sounds quite inquisitive and probing - to be a seeker of truth and an accumulator of knowledge might suit me as a budding law student
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Plato with mysticism.
could be my cup of tea - i am already quite heavily into mysticism and my friends often called me a 'Platonic *******' - i am already leading the life - how lucky!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Not only is there no right or wrong, whatever you try is ultra fraff :confused:

Good old economics for me, all economists are wrong but they know what they're on about...
juxtaposition of truisms or total *******s - one may never tell
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, if you're into mysticism try Gnosticism one day - Gospel of Thomas etc. The writings of Carl Jung are also incredible.
let me guess - are u a follower by any chance - and in what way would u say u try to remain true to his teachings?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
juxtaposition of truisms or total *******s - one may never tell
Juxtawhatnow?

Nah I got what you meant, I ain't no dumb ghetto child...

I can tell, it's all fraff.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
of course they would

Oh btw Adhsur - 'You can't use the external world as proof of the external world' makes sense ...right?
It does indeed.

And also, this is interesting: we discover our senses deceive us THROUGH our senses!
grace
Rep:
?
ah sorry for the mix up Grace - my senses were quite literally invaded by a plethora of different names and confused me - and i think epistemology sounds quite inquisitive and probing - to be a seeker of truth and an accumulator of knowledge might suit me as a budding law student
You're forgiven! And yes i agree it would definately help...i spent a good few hours helping my best friend prepare her personal statement (she wants to study law as well) and if i do say so myself it turned out excellently with her stating that "there is no one ultimate truth, merely different ways of viewing the same truth"....etc. I'm not sure exactly how much of it she really believed, but to be a lawyer i suppose it would be a good thing to believe. You run the risk of devaluing the truth or compromising personal morality if everything measures up against a defined line of morality, however with the acknowledgement of 'several different truths' comes room for perception and manipulation (?) not that i want to study law, i'll just stick with English!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
You're forgiven! And yes i agree it would definately help...i spent a good few hours helping my best friend prepare her personal statement (she wants to study law as well) and if i do say so myself it turned out excellently with her stating that "there is no one ultimate truth, merely different ways of viewing the same truth"....etc. I'm not sure exactly how much of it she really believed, but to be a lawyer i suppose it would be a good thing to believe. You run the risk of devaluing the truth or compromising personal morality if everything measures up against a defined line of morality, however with the acknowledgement of 'several different truths' comes room for perception and manipulation (?) not that i want to study law, i'll just stick with English!
Yes i totally agree - but unfortunately the defined line of morality is the law we live by in society today - several different truths are seldom considered in a court of law where judges do tend to read to the letter of the law - but things are changing with the introduction of newer trial methods and angles used by lawyers in general - hey English is a great degree course but you might consider doing a conversion to law or philosophy one day no doubt(?)
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, ranting over .
you sure? yeah i see what u mean - u ever read Dr. Faustus?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you sure? yeah i see what u mean - u ever read Dr. Faustus?
in fact how about the 'history of humanity' by Zeldin - i have heard of this book but havent taken it out because it is too bloody thick!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Only Goethe's.
i have only read Marlowe's
grace
Rep:
?
Yes i totally agree - but unfortunately the defined line of morality is the law we live by in society today - several different truths are seldom considered in a court of law where judges do tend to read to the letter of the law - but things are changing with the introduction of newer trial methods and angles used by lawyers in general - hey English is a great degree course but you might consider doing a conversion to law or philosophy one day no doubt(?)
well at warwick (where i'm hoping to go!) i intend to do a module in philosophy, as they offer it as one of the options...then i'm hoping to do postgrad in journalism and many journalism courses offer elements of law in them, so there ya go!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (168)
24.74%
Better than expected (141)
20.77%
Worse than expected (370)
54.49%

Watched Threads