This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
well at warwick (where i'm hoping to go!) i intend to do a module in philosophy, as they offer it as one of the options...then i'm hoping to do postgrad in journalism and many journalism courses offer elements of law in them, so there ya go!
Sounds like a good plan! Do u have an offer from Warwick yet?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Never heard of Zeldin or his book. Maybe I'll perform a little search on google about it...
cool - dont know where i saw it - i could be mistaken - then again maybe not
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Sounds like a good plan! Do u have an offer from Warwick yet?
no...but i had an interview....i have a good feeling! The interviewer told me that he had already made up his mind, then leant in and asked me if i'd accept an offer! So i dunno, i'm hoping he wasn't just winding me up! Where are you going for law?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
no...but i had an interview....i have a good feeling! The interviewer told me that he had already made up his mind, then leant in and asked me if i'd accept an offer! So i dunno, i'm hoping he wasn't just winding me up! Where are you going for law?
hehe - u probably will have an offer from there in that case or else report him for getting ur hopes up! I am going to UCL for law as long as i get an A for french - i already have As in English and Economics and a B in History - my year out studying for french coursework module was harder than my final year of a-levels because i have been so out of touch with french!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Goethe's Faust is a document of the soul, of major importance for the psychological understanding of modern man. It is perhaps the central "collective dream" of the Western psyche during the final quater of the Christian eon. The end of Goethe's Faust differs from Marlowe's - Faust is redeemed in Goethe. The strange symbols that Faust saw are still not understood to this day - much of the symbolism points towards the near future, as does Nietzsche's Zarathustra.
hmm sounds interesting - would you prefer the redemption of Faustus as a tragic figure or would u prefer to see him as a naive shell of a man who, thanks to his outrageous pride, was inevitably set for a downfall
grace
Rep:
?
hehe - u probably will have an offer from there in that case or else report him for getting ur hopes up! I am going to UCL for law as long as i get an A for french - i already have As in English and Economics and a B in History - my year out studying for french coursework module was harder than my final year of a-levels because i have been so out of touch with french!
hey i've applied for UCL as well! Might c ya there, lol. So does that mean you've spent three years doing a levels?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
hey i've applied for UCL as well! Might c ya there, lol. So does that mean you've spent three years doing a levels?
well i dont see this year as an a-level year myself - just see it as a tieing up of a few loose ends - i missed out last year on LSE and UCL by a matter of 4 marks for my French A - but i am happy enough with UCL this year having been rejected by LSE - but yes maybe i will see you at UCL - i'd be happy to chat away to you about the merits of epistemology and other things besides
grace
Rep:
?
i'd be happy to chat away to you about the merits of epistemology and other things besides
other things?! :eek: i hope you are talking about the discussion of victorian poetry here?!
grace
Rep:
?
Western man has gained so much knowledge and power but has lost his soul.
i believe it was Schumacher who stated that it was the erradication of a supreme god (or 'goodness') which was at the root of societal chaos and the loss of man's soul
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
other things?! :eek: i hope you are talking about the discussion of victorian poetry here?!
hey i was talking about the relevance of 1984 in today's society - it isnt that late at night is it?
grace
Rep:
?
hey i was talking about the relevance of 1984 in today's society - it isnt that late at night is it?
hahaha, that reminds me of a brick-thick girl in my english lit class last year...she'd been held back a few years and when my english teacher asked her how 1984 could be relevent in today's society she responded (in an *i know everything and you are stupid* kinda voice) "i was BORN in 1984".....lol, dipshit!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Faust is akin to Western man - Western man has gained so much knowledge and power but has lost his soul. Faust, like modern man, developed an inflated consciousness that was egocentric and conscious of only its own existence. It is incapable of learning from the past, incapable of understanding contempoary events, and incapable of drawing right conclusions about the future. It is hypnotized by itself and therefore cannot be argued with. It inevitably dooms itself to calamites that must strike it dead. But herein lies the hope - Faust is finally redeemed by Gretchen, a symbol of the inner spiritual principle.

All things transitory
Are only symbols;
The insufficient
Here finds fulfillment;
The indescribable
Here it is done
The Eternal-Womanly
Draws us above.

- Goethe, Faust, Part II
hmm - i am feeling so out of touch with education amid all this analysis - i havent been in education since may 2003! I confess i am not equipped with the necessary information to counter your arguments - indeed to be fair much of the principles of which you speak are not vastly different from Marlowe's Faustus - indeed even in that version there was the underlying assertion that Faustus aspired to much as the Western man but was morally bankrupt and simply didnt pursue all that he promised - in fact he resorted to triviality and party tricks and was more a travelling jester than a respected intellectual who bemused everyone with his superior knowledge of philosophy - for this reason he was not redeemed but also becasue he didnt take the consequences of his deal with Lucifer seriously enough! he chose to be blind when he was really clever enough to see what horror he would be putting himself in for
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
hahaha, that reminds me of a brick-thick girl in my english lit class last year...she'd been held back a few years and when my english teacher asked her how 1984 could be relevent in today's society she responded (in an *i know everything and you are stupid* kinda voice) "i was BORN in 1984".....lol, dipshit!
i assume by your condescension that you have read 1984 - it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that totalitarianism is what we are heading for and the status quo can never be challenged.
grace
Rep:
?
i assume by your condescension that you have read 1984 - it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that totalitarianism is what we are heading for and the status quo can never be challenged.

too late at night...too many big words....lol, my brain is not functioning. All i know is this girl cracked me up! Yes i have read it, and are you being serious? Yet again i can't tell if someone's trying to wind me up! Do you SERIOUSLY think we're heading for totalitarianism?! Hahaha, one world united under the imperial reign of Grace!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
too late at night...too many big words....lol, my brain is not functioning. All i know is this girl cracked me up! Yes i have read it, and are you being serious? Yet again i can't tell if someone's trying to wind me up! Do you SERIOUSLY think we're heading for totalitarianism?! Hahaha, one world united under the imperial reign of Grace!
moi?! not serious?! never ...!!!! well i dunno - i reckon we could be heading for that sort of society what with all these CCTV cameras and Blunkett's insistance on a more pro-active policing method - for which read 'Thought Police' yes it is getting rather late - tis true!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
i believe it was Schumacher who stated that it was the erradication of a supreme god (or 'goodness') which was at the root of societal chaos and the loss of man's soul
wow he's a pretty deep guy - never got that inclination from him when he was being interviewed on the podium last season
grace
Rep:
?
wow he's a pretty deep guy - never got that inclination from him when he was being interviewed on the podium last season
LOL!!!!!!! Aw thanks, i needed to laugh, at the moment i'm trying to do my essay which is supposed to be 4000 words and it's only 2064 at the mo

know anything about Tennyson?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grace)
LOL!!!!!!! Aw thanks, i needed to laugh, at the moment i'm trying to do my essay which is supposed to be 4000 words and it's only 2064 at the mo

know anything about Tennyson?
he was a poet - and his wife killed herself by putting her head in an oven - Plath - both wrote poems about Bronte's Wurthering Heights etc. sorry just the trivial stuff!!! Good luck with that seemingly unfair amount of work btw! Good night and i'll chat again soon!
grace
Rep:
?
he was a poet - and his wife killed herself by putting her head in an oven - Plath - both wrote poems about Bronte's Wurthering Heights etc. sorry just the trivial stuff!!! Good luck with that seemingly unfair amount of work btw! Good night and i'll chat again soon!
Nightie night! Big brother is watching....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (18)
39.13%
Take autumn exams (17)
36.96%
Look for a job (1)
2.17%
Consider an apprenticeship (1)
2.17%
Take a year out (6)
13.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
6.52%

Watched Threads