job hunting - running out of ideas - what else to do? Watch

rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm job hunting after being made redundant in mid june. I have advanced excel skills including vba excel programming, 2 years data admin and 7 months experience as an analyst. I apply for jobs in jobseekers website every other day, jobs on reed, indeed.co.uk and i randomly check waterstones, vue cinema website to see if they're recruiting. Signed up to some agencies.

I was just wondering what else i could do. Feel like i've hit a brick wall with the job hunting thing!

Thanks in advance.
Agenda Suicide
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know it's not what you're looking for but I think it is important to realise you are not alone and it's not so much your fault, but more the economies.

If it makes you feel any better somebody I know whose been searching for jobs for 2 years with barely even any interviews has suddenly got loads and is starting a new job next month. It's all about keeping faith and not giving in.

Good luck. Hope somebody can provide you with a clear answer.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you worked as an analyst did you come into contact with other companies that did similar things to the one you worked for? Who were their competitors and collaborators? Find out those companies and see if they have any vacancies and if they don't, write to them telling them about yourself and with a CV attached asking to be considered for any vacancies they may have coming up.

Do you know anyone who still works in the field you're interested in? Get in contact with them and ask if their company or anyone they know of in the sector is recruiting.
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make sure your applications are tailored to the job specification. That will take longer to do but will get you more in the end as you'll very clearly have every attribute they want. Otherwise, keep searching. It's a frustrating job time right now and will take a while to get any job. Don't feel disheartened, just keep applying!
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Make sure your applications are tailored to the job specification. That will take longer to do but will get you more in the end as you'll very clearly have every attribute they want. Otherwise, keep searching. It's a frustrating job time right now and will take a while to get any job. Don't feel disheartened, just keep applying!
i'm deffo doing that. Just called office angels and they're just so useless - they put me forward for one lame role and nothing else i wanted now now been waiting over a week for this temp role! Grrr... I just called waterstones head office and they don't even advertise roles! Have to fill out a lame form telling them what i'm looking for and they'll get back to me if they have something available! :/ Feel like giving up for the day....so demoralising.
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
i'm deffo doing that. Just called office angels and they're just so useless - they put me forward for one lame role and nothing else i wanted now now been waiting over a week for this temp role! Grrr... I just called waterstones head office and they don't even advertise roles! Have to fill out a lame form telling them what i'm looking for and they'll get back to me if they have something available! :/ Feel like giving up for the day....so demoralising.
It is so disheartening. I'm also looking for a job a the moment too and I was feeling incredibly bummed until I got a phone call the other day from a company I'd sent a CV to about 3 months ago. They offered me an interview for a great role in a place which I'd really love to live and, I've just found out that they are actually employing a number of people so that's increased my chances of getting the role. Basically what I'm saying is that you never know what's going to come up. I'd completely written off that company because I didn't hear anything back and then I've suddenly got an interview! The jobs market is strange and mysterious but you'll get something eventually!
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
It is so disheartening. I'm also looking for a job a the moment too and I was feeling incredibly bummed until I got a phone call the other day from a company I'd sent a CV to about 3 months ago. They offered me an interview for a great role in a place which I'd really love to live and, I've just found out that they are actually employing a number of people so that's increased my chances of getting the role. Basically what I'm saying is that you never know what's going to come up. I'd completely written off that company because I didn't hear anything back and then I've suddenly got an interview! The jobs market is strange and mysterious but you'll get something eventually!
Meh don't get so chuffed till the deal is done. An agency said i'm amazing last week and i called another one and they were like wow, and one said they'd get me interview this week and guess what? none of them are interested anymore! I called to ask about a role i was going to be put forward to and they said: we're waiting for our client to get back to us. Other lady who told me there were loads of roles last week and told me to send her CV through is now saying I have to wait for her colleague to get back from holiday even though there is someone covering her . I've lost all faith in agencies - they're just time wasters raisting false hopes.

Put it this way, despite using agencies for years, all the jobs I've ever got, i've got through gumtree, contacting company directly, friends in the company, or graduate talent pool in one case. I've NEVER had any luck with agencies

what a crap, hot day being poor, looking for work
firestar101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meh don't get so chuffed till the deal is done. An agency said i'm amazing last week and i called another one and they were like wow, and one said they'd get me interview this week and guess what? none of them are interested anymore! I called to ask about a role i was going to be put forward to and they said: we're waiting for our client to get back to us. Other lady who told me there were loads of roles last week and told me to send her CV through is now saying I have to wait for her colleague to get back from holiday even though there is someone covering her . I've lost all faith in agencies - they're just time wasters raisting false hopes.

Put it this way, despite using agencies for years, all the jobs I've ever got, i've got through gumtree, contacting company directly, friends in the company, or graduate talent pool in one case. I've NEVER had any luck with agencies

How did you get a position as an analyst?
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by firestar101)
How did you get a position as an analyst?
one of my rock climbing acquaintances works there and told me about the role and i applied and got it after interview
hothedgehog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Well I think you've hit the nail on the head. Agencies aren't worth faffing with. My interview was arranged straight through the recruiting company not an agency. Agencies are just out to get your money or contacts. Keep applying directly to companies and see what comes up!
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Well I think you've hit the nail on the head. Agencies aren't worth faffing with. My interview was arranged straight through the recruiting company not an agency. Agencies are just out to get your money or contacts. Keep applying directly to companies and see what comes up!
an agency guy i was on the phone added me on linked in, called me, asked me to add him and recommend him on linked in . I said ok ok ok, got him off the phone and deleted his invite! The cheek of some people

oh and this same agent said he found me an internship. I was so happy and then i asked how much does it pay, and it said it was unpaid. My heart sank . So despondent! How can a company like aon benfield not pay you anything? no expenses, no wages? The banking and insurance industry are so ****ed up! I hope i get this internship for this premier league football club thing i applied for ...at least that pays! lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads