Olympic Swimming Thread Watch

roh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thought I'd create this in case anyone's interested, and it is now only days until the Olympic swimming kicks off! :woo:

If you're new to the sport and get confused, or want to pre prepare for such confusion, whilst watching it then post any questions you have about the rules, strokes, tactics, swimmers, relays etc. here and hopefully I or someone else will be able to answer most of them.

If you already follow swimming then it'd be great to get predictions and general discussion of each event if you fancy it.

Anyway, my predictions for the first day are this:

Men's 400 IM:
G: Lochte
S: Phelps
B: Hagino

Women's 400 IM:
G: Beisel
S: Rice
B: Miley

Men's 400 free:
G: Park
S: Sun
B: Biedermann

Women's 400 free:
G: Muffat
S: Adlington
B: Schmitt

Women's 4x100 freestyle relay:
G: Netherlands
S: USA
B: Australia

At a guess I've probably got all but 3/4 of the above wrong!
Marlo Stanfield
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I desperately want Hannah Miley to win her 400IM.
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marlo Stanfield)
I desperately want Hannah Miley to win her 400IM.
Me too, I'm hoping Beisel's form at the US Trials was due to her being fully tapered and thus slowing down for the Olympics. However, looking at other Florida swimmers like Lochte I fear she's actually just going to get faster.

Fingers crossed though and I think she can definitely get silver over Rice.
Marlo Stanfield
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roh)
Me too, I'm hoping Beisel's form at the US Trials was due to her being fully tapered and thus slowing down for the Olympics. However, looking at other Florida swimmers like Lochte I fear she's actually just going to get faster.

Fingers crossed though and I think she can definitely get silver over Rice.
Yeah totally! Really can't wait for the whole Olympics, in particular with the swimming in the first week. Going to be doing solid 9-5 days watching it!
ss770
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rebecca Soni for the Women's 100 & 200m Brs!! Gold in the 200m more than 100m tho!

Watch out for Ruta who is swimming for Lithuania in the 100m Brs!! Very fast, talented and very young!!
Marlo Stanfield
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just put a £10 on Beisel 400IM and Missy Franklin 100 Back. Bit of a gamble going for the 100 and not the 200 but swayed by superior odds. If these come through might see what else I can make advantage of.

If Rice wins or Hozzu wins the 400 I'll obviously be gutted as I'd be so happy if Hannah wins.
Muesca
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never rule out Cseh for the 400, he's an animal! I reckon it'll go 1. Lochte 2. Phelps and 3. Cseh
Muesca
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, btw, programme of events including start lists here - http://www.london2012.com/swimming/s...e-and-results/
roh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marlo Stanfield)
Just put a £10 on Beisel 400IM and Missy Franklin 100 Back. Bit of a gamble going for the 100 and not the 200 but swayed by superior odds. If these come through might see what else I can make advantage of.

If Rice wins or Hozzu wins the 400 I'll obviously be gutted as I'd be so happy if Hannah wins.
Nice. I've got a fiver on Agnel for the 200 free, tempted to put the same on Phelsp for 200 IM given Lochte only has 20 mins recovery.

(Original post by Muesca)
Never rule out Cseh for the 400, he's an animal! I reckon it'll go 1. Lochte 2. Phelps and 3. Cseh
He is, but he's so hard to predict! He openly admitted he wasn't totally rested for World Champs last year and he never has to taper for trials or anything being Hungarian. Shame 400IM's so early, if it was late on could be much closer with Phelps and Lochte a bit tired.
MerryB
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A nerdy question coming up!
Does anyone know why the olympic pool lanes are numbered from the left ( at the start end) when usually they are numbered from the right.
Fina rules say this

FR 2.8 Numbering
Each starting block must be distinctly numbered on all four sides, clearly visible. Lane number 0 shall be on the right-hand side when facing the course from the starting end with exception of 50m events, which may start from the opposite end. Touch panels may be numbered on the top part.

Manchester United
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who do you guys think will take gold in the Mens 400 IM?

I think it's almost certain that it will be one of the 'big-fish', but I'm going with Ryan Lochte. Perhaps a new world-record?
Muesca
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manchester United)
Who do you guys think will take gold in the Mens 400 IM?

I think it's almost certain that it will be one of the 'big-fish', but I'm going with Ryan Lochte. Perhaps a new world-record?
I really want Lochte to take it but I can't see phelps losing, he looked awesome this morning, made it look so easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moment of truth! I think Lochte will take it but part of me wants Phelps to win those 3 medals to become the greatest ever.
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Muesca)
I really want Lochte to take it but I can't see phelps losing, he looked awesome this morning, made it look so easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How was it easy? haha he barely got through! I think it was mind-games in a way, he definitely wasn't going all out, but it was very risky and I think he should have put a bit more into it!
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This gonna be good
manupalace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, phelps is 4th!!! :eek:
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh my, Phelps doesn't even get a medal.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Michael Phelps 4th!
Brachioradialis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think a lot of people will take too much away from this-- Phelps hates the 400 IM, its his worst event so don't rule him out of the others!
Well done to Lochte though, amazing!
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really surprised by that even though I don't follow swimming that closely, Phelps seems quite indifferent on how many medals he wins going by what the commentators were saying and apparently doesn't really like that particular event.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed