Afghan policemen defect to Taliban in Farah province Watch

internetguru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
An Afghan police commander and 13 junior officers have joined the Taliban in the western Afghan province of Farah, in what correspondents say could be the biggest defection by police.

They say the commander, named as Mirwais, was in charge of a 20-man checkpoint when he defected on Sunday.

The men are said to have taken heavy weaponry, radios and police vehicles including US-made armoured Humvees.

Farah is one of the most insecure areas in the relatively peaceful west.

The commander was based in Shewan village in the district of Bala Bulak, which was until recently considered a Taliban stronghold.

The insurgents were driven out of the area following a series of operations carried out by Afghan security forces. But local officials say insurgents have regrouped in the area recently.

Police and intelligence officials deployed in the province said the commander poisoned seven policemen in his charge who had refused to defect along with him.
Yet we still think Afghanistan will be fine and Taliban free when we leave in 2014? Who knows how many more have infiltrated other levels of government this war is unwinnable time to leave now.
internetguru
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
No replies really nobody cares?
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's always been a pointless war. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.
Perseveranze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Taliban, hasn't been randomly getting stronger; their support has grown immensely and so have the numbers that have joined them, be it defectors or villagers. Their motivation and persistence has always been high, so I doubt anyone's surprised.

(Original post by internetguru)
Yet we still think Afghanistan will be fine and Taliban free when we leave in 2014? Who knows how many more have infiltrated other levels of government this war is unwinnable time to leave now.
I think the Soviets could've told you that.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Perseveranze)
Taliban, hasn't been randomly getting stronger; their support has grown immensely and so have the numbers that have joined them, be it defectors or villagers. Their motivation and persistence has always been high, so I doubt anyone's surprised.

I think the Soviets could've told you that.
It's a bit of a stupid thing to say that the soviets couldn't win, so we can't. The Soviets invaded with equipment that was poor and troops that weren't interested. They also had America on the other side funding the Taliban. If we could just cut off the Taliban from being funded by your brothers and sisters we might stand a chance.

But you are right, the people's determination to live under what true Islam makes a country is very strong, and I think that will bore out in the end. It's probably not nice for the men who had all the power over the women to now have just 98% of it. I bet they really miss being able to brutally hack off any limbs that they see acciently on display, or getting to stone rape victims.
Perseveranze
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
It's a bit of a stupid thing to say that the soviets couldn't win, so we can't. The Soviets invaded with equipment that was poor and troops that weren't interested. They also had America on the other side funding the Taliban. If we could just cut off the Taliban from being funded by your brothers and sisters we might stand a chance.
I don't think funding has anything to do with it. Taliban still have the worst level of technology/intelligence (in war terms) as far as warfare goes, yet they still from time to time, dominate the US.

Here's a recent footage of Taliban cleaning house;

As for morale, the US don't have morale either. How can you have morale against people who look down the barrel of your gun and see paradise? Who, no matter what, are never going to give up?

There are countless US troops who have spoken of the Taliban's fearless attitude towards warfare.

Not only this, but the support for the US troops is at an all time low.

No doubt the increase in Military suicide rate has something to do with the fighting in Afghanistan and the enemy their up against.

(Original post by Elipsis)
But you are right, the people's determination to live under what true Islam makes a country is very strong, and I think that will bore out in the end. It's probably not nice for the men who had all the power over the women to now have just 98% of it. I bet they really miss being able to brutally hack off any limbs that they see acciently on display, or getting to stone rape victims.
If you say so.

But the point I'm making is, Taliban aren't your average enemy. The Soviets found this first hand, and the US also acknowledge it, especially when some described the fighting "as fierce as WW2".

So, either way, I don't think anyone realistically predicted that the US could ever win this war.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think funding has anything to do with it. Taliban still have the worst level of technology/intelligence (in war terms) as far as warfare goes, yet they still from time to time, dominate the US.

As for morale, the US don't have morale either. How can you have morale against people who look down the barrel of your gun and see paradise? Who, no matter what, are never going to give up?

There are countless US troops who have spoken of the Taliban's fearless attitude towards warfare.

No doubt the increase in Military suicide rate has something to do with the fighting in Afghanistan and the enemy their up against.

If you say so.

But the point I'm making is, Taliban aren't your average enemy. The Soviets found this first hand, and the US also acknowledge it, especially when some described the fighting "as fierce as WW2".

So, either way, I don't think anyone realistically predicted that the US could ever win this war.
Wasn't Afghanistan a bit of a different place when the Soviets invaded? I.e. they were fighting a far more moderate, less "this will earn me top spot in heaven" sort of people? I agree that you can't win against someone who is brainwashed, because you can't unbrainwash someone. Fighting against people who deliberately kill themselves is definitely pointless, because it leaves you with nothing to do to them.
prog2djent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why can't we just leave this ****hole and let it be, while the rest of the west and westernised nations progress forward with the longest life expecancies, highest wages, most scientific advancement, strongest economies, highes qualities of life etc et, whilst we progress and become more than ourselves, perhaps even leaving the cradle, we can leave these retarded shepards and brainwashed god fearing idiots to live out their crappy lives fearing allah and oppressing everyone that doesn't adhear to the religious texts.
Darkphilosopher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If you say so.

The explosion in that video really shook me.
stackemup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why can't we just leave this ****hole and let it be, while the rest of the west and westernised nations progress forward with the longest life expecancies, highest wages, most scientific advancement, strongest economies, highes qualities of life etc et, whilst we progress and become more than ourselves, perhaps even leaving the cradle, we can leave these retarded shepards and brainwashed god fearing idiots to live out their crappy lives fearing allah and oppressing everyone that doesn't adhear to the religious texts.
Your an absolute fiend. Learn how to spell-check and put a sentence together.
Shabalala
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the policemen are saving their lives as they know fine well that when NATO leaves the Taliban will roll straight back in and kill the Afghan Police/Military/Goverment and even their families they are preparing for the inevitable the left wing liberal morons who seem to think everything will be rosy and peacfull once NATO leave are idiots if we pull out now then all the fighting, all the work done all the death will have been for nothing The Taliban will be back in control against the wishes of the vast majority of Afghans and will continue to terrorise the Afghan people following Sharia Law to the letter women will be treated like scum children will be hanged in public for stealing a loaf of bread yet the left wing morons in the west seem to think they will all be happy and peacefull without oppression by America:rolleyes:. Not to mention Afghanistan will once again be a safe haven for any terrorist groups undoing the whole point of the invasion we made a commitment when we invaded we shouldn't just decide to leave half way through it all leaving the Afghans worse off than before if we didn't have the stomach or the will to see it through we shouldn't have invaded at all. Yet the pathetic goverments are going to give in too the liberal left wing idiots and pull out anyway.
Fenrirs_space
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by internetguru)
If anything it shows that we really should drop out. We've done everything we really possibly can for that country now. How many lives would you want to see lost trying to help a country that can not help itself?
prog2djent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by stackemup)
Your an absolute fiend. Learn how to spell-check and put a sentence together.
Care to counter my point? Or are just going to stick with that ad hom?

I've always had the image that we (even though we do now) will be living at the height of luxary and advancement, some get on a commercial flight to our Mars colony or even a Sky-harbour, and then there's just the Arab and Sunni Muslim world, along with other Tribal religion people, still on the ground living in huts and killing/raping people who don't put a bag over their body, decide to leave the religion or, heaven forbid, join the advanced society for material and spiritual aims.
Florrick
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not surprised... :indiff:

Was watching a Ch4 documentary about the Taliban. Afghan villagers including women were coming out giving dinner to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.86%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.57%
There's nothing they could do (105)
30%

Watched Threads