Minimum amount of time I can stay at KFC / Fast food chain without looking bad on CV Watch

Failed123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, so I started working at KFC last week and to be honest, I hate it. I need the money (£4.98 per hour) but above all the experience so I can get a better job, and most of all, so I can show I have experience after my degree. What do you think is the minimum amount of time I can spend working there for it to look "good" on my CV, as opposed to bad. I will be searching for another job, as I need to work but it's proven difficult.

Also, for anyone who's worked at a fast food chain, what do you think is better: Cashier, middle, or cook? Thanks
MMoor18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it's part time while you're at uni then realistically the full course, unless you get another job. Employers always look for gaps in employment and ask why?
If your answer was simply because I hated that job so I quit they will write you off there and then. That said I wouldn't even put it on my C.V at all if it was less than 6 months. Better to have no perceived experience than to look like you're just going to quit when you get bored of it.
Failed123
Rep:
?
Well I was aiming for half a year at the very least. It's just a bad job, especially being a cashier and dealing with rude customers, amongst other things.
MMoor18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Failed123)
Well I was aiming for half a year at the very least. It's just a bad job, especially being a cashier and dealing with rude customers, amongst other things.
I don't doubt that for a second, all fast food jobs are trerrible, horrible conditions long hours, **** pay, rude customers. Standard retail is slightly better but tbh until you finish uni and start a career pretty much all jobs will be crap, just some less so than others. It's up to you if you stick it out or not but don't put it on your C.V at all if you're not there long. Better to say you were actively looking for a job while at uni than to say you had a job and left it.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I left McDonald's after 3 months. I hated it - I wasn't going bull**** my future employers by saying I loved it. Leave if you hate it - life is too short and there is a world of opportunity outside of KFC.
kka25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I left McDonald's after 3 months. I hated it - I wasn't going bull**** my future employers by saying I loved it. Leave if you hate it - life is too short and there is a world of opportunity outside of KFC.
What do you hate about it? I enjoyed my time when I worked at KFC hehe.
*But I can't imagine doing it whilst I'm studying for a degree; it's sooo tiring :ninja:
Steveluis10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You sound like me - I've just finished Uni, working at Mcdonalds, on same wage, been there just over 2 months and hate it, but there's too much pressure to quit. A) I'd be letting my family/girlfriend down, B) I'd have no back up plan despite applying for a lot of other jobs, C) I need some form of income.

My plan is to try and stick it out at least 'til the end of August or September then hopefully have another job lined up but if not I might be forced to just quit and be on the dole
MMoor18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steveluis10)
You sound like me - I've just finished Uni, working at Mcdonalds, on same wage, been there just over 2 months and hate it, but there's too much pressure to quit. A) I'd be letting my family/girlfriend down, B) I'd have no back up plan despite applying for a lot of other jobs, C) I need some form of income.

My plan is to try and stick it out at least 'til the end of August or September then hopefully have another job lined up but if not I might be forced to just quit and be on the dole
For a start you can't quit and go on the dole, if you leave by choice you're 'frozen out' of any benefits for 6 months, and rightly so, any job is better than no job. It's one thing quitting a job while you're at uni, as you can blag it and say you felt you needed to concentrait on your studies etc. but quiting a job with no back up when you're out in the real world is career suicide, no one will touch you if you left a steady job (albeit a **** one) to go on the dole, they will see you as being lazy and arrogant..... don't do it
Failed123
Rep:
?
Aww, but I couldn't get a job anywhere else What is up with some customers thinking they're better than you 'cause you wear a lame arse cap with KFC on it? I never walked into a resturant thinking I was better than anyone. Now I suck at making decisions, but I've never known folks to be so indecisive over something as small as chicken, and many a times a customer has changed their order just as I've finished packing and I have to start over again At Mcdonalds I've seen cashiers stand up for themselves when a customer was being abusive and the manager was okay with it, but at KFC the customer is always right no matter what it seems so far. There's a lot of stories I could share, been called an idiot and accused of being a muslim "looking down us 'cause we're not fasting", and secretely not wanting others to eat so I "purposely" forgot to give her salt and wet wipes. First of all, like most muslims, I'm not asian, but I suppose being brown is good enough, wtf.
Agenda Suicide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, sorry to be a bit harsh but really?

What are you complaining about? A job is a job and in this climate you should cling on to it. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion but be a little grateful.

I'm pretty sure having a part-time job and independence whilst you work through college and uni looks better than being somebody who just had the degree.

You have the life skills, experience, dedication, ability to balance your time and have more than one focus in your life.

People our age are so desperate for jobs. People suck, but at the end of the day when you get that money, it makes it all worth it.
Failed123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Agenda Suicide)
Wow, sorry to be a bit harsh but really?

What are you complaining about? A job is a job and in this climate you should cling on to it. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion but be a little grateful.

I'm pretty sure having a part-time job and independence whilst you work through college and uni looks better than being somebody who just had the degree.

You have the life skills, experience, dedication, ability to balance your time and have more than one focus in your life.

People our age are so desperate for jobs. People suck, but at the end of the day when you get that money, it makes it all worth it.
I don't really understand why I should be "grateful". I went out of my way to find a job, and it was hard, and it took a long time. It's not as if it was just "given to me". There are jobs out there. In fact, aside from the three of us, everyone else at the KFC I am working at are from other countries. It's a lot harder for them to find jobs than British people, but a lot of us think we're "too good" to do the low end jobs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise