GuyUK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
For those who work part time or full time, what is your lunch arrangement?

- Do you pack your lunch to save money or go to a fast food takeaway, supermarket, coffee shop for lunch?

- How much money do you spend on lunch at work a day?

- For those who go to a takeaway, how long does it take to get there and back to your job to eat?
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't bothered to make a sandwich the night before? Seriously that is just being bone idle to the extreme. It takes 5 minutes or less to make a cheese and salad sandwich, stick it in a box with some fruit, packet of crisps, yoghurt, chocolate biscuits, and a drink. Job done.

It simply doesn't make sense that you can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes making a home packed lunch yet you were willing to waste 30 minutes visiting a takeway every day...
GuyUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by fire2burn)
You can't bothered to make a sandwich the night before? Seriously that is just being bone idle to the extreme. It takes 5 minutes or less to make a cheese and salad sandwich, stick it in a box with some fruit, packet of crisps, yoghurt, chocolate biscuits, and a drink. Job done.

It simply doesn't make sense that you can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes making a home packed lunch yet you were willing to waste 30 minutes visiting a takeway every day...
I prefer takeaway food.
pineapple86
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its cheaper to take your own lunches and its healthier if you make the right choices. I take food with me and its on the rare occasions i dont then i'll get something from tescos. But i rather take my own lunch, save money and its healthier.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
alexlemon2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in a place that serves food and we are allowed 1 meal per shift, very convenient
Tycho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We have an office canteen at my work. I do eat healthily but it's costly at approx £5 per day. For that I get fruit (melon and grapes usually), a sandwitch and a smoothie. It's pretty expensive and I should really start taking my own lunch. I'm pretty sure I could get it for half that price if I planned it more carefully.
Em_Huong
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to buy food from a burger truck but that got quote expensive so started bringing my own lunch in, plus it's healthier lol I usually make something hot to bring as we have a microwave, usually some sort of meat or veg with pasta or rice. Sometimes if I'm feeling healthy then I'll make a salad, it doesn't take long to do the night before. When I make dinner I'll just make a little extra for lunch the next day or bring any leftovers.
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whenever I work part-time, either with my Dad or in a pub, I get food for free all the time. The kitchen at both places just gives out free food to staff!

However, in some previous jobs, I usually just go and get takeaway, most usually a McDonalds...
crazyunicorn133
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I mostly make food to take to work, but I make homemade soup and things about once a month, portion them and just bung them in the fridge / freezer. Grab and go
StacFace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to work in a pub serving food and most people used to order from the "staff menu" which basically had some of the meals from the main menu at around half price. Then they changed it to 10% off anything on the main menu instead and more people brought their own food because whilst it was cheap for a pub meal you wouldn't eat out everyday normally and the cost soon adds up.

Personally I always brought my own food with the exception of the first few shifts because I didn't even think of bringing my own lunch at first. I would say bring your own unless you get a free meal with your shift or they sell it cheap for a meal not just cheap for a meal out (eg if they do meals for £1).
GuyUK
Rep:
?
(Original post by StacFace)
I used to work in a pub serving food and most people used to order from the "staff menu" which basically had some of the meals from the main menu at around half price. Then they changed it to 10% off anything on the main menu instead and more people brought their own food because whilst it was cheap for a pub meal you wouldn't eat out everyday normally and the cost soon adds up.

Personally I always brought my own food with the exception of the first few shifts because I didn't even think of bringing my own lunch at first. I would say bring your own unless you get a free meal with your shift or they sell it cheap for a meal not just cheap for a meal out (eg if they do meals for £1).
People that work in your pub get charged for food? I though it was common practice, that pubs or restaurant provide free food for staffs. I used to work as a waiter at a restaurant, and all the food and drink was free.
President Snow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of the places I worked at previously had their own canteen which served good food, with healthy options available. However, they also had a nice option where you could pay a several hundred pounds, and get food free for the year. This had the advantage that instead of constantly considering whether a spoon of peas was really worth £2, and ended up not eating any vegetables there, I could eat all the food and vegetables I wanted for that one price. It was a fairly good deal, and produced very nice food. Otherwise, I would have packed my own.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Working for G4S at the moment and they provide us with free lunches in the athletes canteen so cant argue with that
just george
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Usually i get the leftovers from lunch/dinner in the restaurant, occasionally i just dont get anything.. probably should start taking my own food too
QI Elf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GuyUK)
People that work in your pub get charged for food? I though it was common practice, that pubs or restaurant provide free food for staffs. I used to work as a waiter at a restaurant, and all the food and drink was free.
I work part time in a pub and on the occassions I do get a break, I have to pay for food and drink. Water is free (obviously) but if I want a drink of coke or whatever, I pay for it full price.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always take my own food in. It's a pain carrying it around but it's so much cheaper. I go out occasionally if I'm sick of the food I have.
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get a free lunch and as much coffee/tea and soft drinks

For my placemnt will get a boots meal deal before as I currently don't have food in.
orange'94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
GREGGS!!!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in hospitality & catering, so I normally get fed at work, by my employer. Those meals normally consist of what was made for customers but never plated & sent out (i.e. it's never left the kitchen, but if we didn't eat it then it would be thrown away) or occasionally it's food that has been made especially for the staff.

I tend to eat rather well!
Bobsyourteapots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in an admin centre and I take my own lunch. Lately I have been taking my lunch into work with me in a cool bag so my salad stays cold and my drink even colder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads