Drinking Water Watch

Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've recently realised that I am only drinking one glass of water every few days.

I have a glass of orange juice in the morning, orange squash/pepsi mid morning, pepsi for lunch, pepsi again mid afternoon, milk for dinner and pepsi or orange squash at night.

(If Pepsi lost most of their customers, I guess i'd be enough to keep them in business )

I was kind of surprised when I realised that I hardly drink water. I don't like the taste of it, so I think that's why I never really thought of it as a drink.

Today I have had three glasses so far, trying to do one glass each hour.

What benefits will I get from drinking more water? (And don't say 'it helps your cells' because that means nothing to me :P)
Cerdog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It varies from person to person. I find I get dehydrated quite easily (especially in hot weather), and I'm always thirsty first thing in the morning, regardless of how much water I had the day/night before. Drinking plenty of water helps me feel better in that respect.

I think saying "I'll do a glass per hour" is the wrong way to go about it, though. Instead, have a glass (or a pint, or something like that) before you drink anything else. This works for several reasons:

1) It's easy to remember.
2) It guarantees you'll actually drink it.
3) If you're drinking the other thing because you're thirsty, it will last longer (because your thirst is partially quenched).
4) It's more spread out over the day.
5) You are much less likely to drink too much water.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
benefit of drinking water (a lot) = makes your pee white
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I drink between a litre and two litres a day, depending on what I'm doing and what I'm eating. I can't remember why, but I bought a 2 litre bottle of Evian once, I think I was pretty hungover and had a 2 mile walk home, but since then I just fill it up from the tap and keep it in the fridge. I'm not that fussed about room temperature tap water, but Lord above, tap water from the fridge tastes like heaven. I always drink it with meals and whenever I'm just thirsty.

Drinking as little water as you do probably isn't that great. You get quite a lot of water through pepsi and orange squash, but a load of sugar and sweeteners too. Try filling one of your pepsi bottles with tap water and keeping it in the fridge, give it a couple of hours and then try drinking that with a meal instead of what you usually do. Your body and your teeth will thank you for it in the long run.
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)
I've recently realised that I am only drinking one glass of water every few days.

I have a glass of orange juice in the morning, orange squash/pepsi mid morning, pepsi for lunch, pepsi again mid afternoon, milk for dinner and pepsi or orange squash at night.

(If Pepsi lost most of their customers, I guess i'd be enough to keep them in business )

I was kind of surprised when I realised that I hardly drink water. I don't like the taste of it, so I think that's why I never really thought of it as a drink.

What benefits will I get from drinking more water? (And don't say 'it helps your cells' because that means nothing to me :P)
I have: juice and then water in the morning
Water/fizzy drink during the day at school (or just squash at home)
Squash for lunch
Squash/water for dinner

Try ditching the pepsi and having ribena or something instead - squash = water + other stuff so it's fine.

You'll feel more 'fresh' and less 'sluggish' by drinking more water. Try getting a 1.5-2 litre bottle of water, filling it up each night, and challenging yourself to drink one each day. After two weeks you'll realise how much of a difference it can make.
Freier._.lance
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You drink a lot of fluids, only drinking water isn't essential. There used to be a time when I only drank one glass of water a day in the evenings with no other drinks throughout the day and that was enough for me. When you drink less and less water your body should start to retain more of the water. However it is healthier if you drink water continuously.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Junaid96)
I have: juice and then water in the morning
Water/fizzy drink during the day at school (or just squash at home)
Squash for lunch
Squash/water for dinner

Try ditching the pepsi and having ribena or something instead - squash = water + other stuff so it's fine.

You'll feel more 'fresh' and less 'sluggish' by drinking more water. Try getting a 1.5-2 litre bottle of water, filling it up each night, and challenging yourself to drink one each day. After two weeks you'll realise how much of a difference it can make.
To be fair, all Pepsi/Coke is is mostly water with sugar and flavouring and then carbonated. Squash still has loads of rubbish in it, compared to proper fruit juice. If you want to be healthier, cut out the squash too.

Oh, and I still feel tired and sluggish, even when I drink 2 litres a day. I drink water because it tastes freaking amazing, not because it's healthy really
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
To be fair, all Pepsi/Coke is is mostly water with sugar and flavouring and then carbonated. Squash still has loads of rubbish in it, compared to proper fruit juice. If you want to be healthier, cut out the squash too.

Oh, and I still feel tired and sluggish, even when I drink 2 litres a day. I drink water because it tastes freaking amazing, not because it's healthy really
They be saying that sleep also helps you to stop feeling tired - give it a try
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to be like you OP; but then I decided to change my lifestyle and drop the access weight from the unnecessary cals that came from those can sodas. It works wonders for you if you decide to lose the weight : )

(Original post by pseudonymegg)
benefit of drinking water (a lot) = makes your pee white
crystal clear :woo:
R4INBOW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just aim to drink at least one full bottle of water per day, so I have a sort of target never drink it all in one go; you'll just feel bloated and ill. Trust me, there are massive benefits to drinking water everyday. I would recommend it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
conniebee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to drink quite similar to you, a fair amount of coke and fruit juices.
I gave up drinking fizzy drinks a few months ago due to having a minor bladder problem which fizzy drinks was irritating. I looked a lot less bloated within a week, I lost a little weight and my skin has never looked so healthy and clear.
ash1011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sounds good - though id make it every hour & 1/2. Got to be careful of too much water, could result in water toxicity. Always found this strange...
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ash1011)
sounds good - though id make it every hour & 1/2. Got to be careful of too much water, could result in water toxicity. Always found this strange...
what? nahh... what the hell is osmosis for then? Surely that stops you from damaging your body with too much water?
ash1011
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
what? nahh... what the hell is osmosis for then? Surely that stops you from damaging your body with too much water?
lol - i didn't just pick it from the sky

Too much water dilutes the blood of electrolytes, which impedes brain function. There's been a few cases in the paper from this exact thing.

Just offering my advice, drinking loads and loads of water isn't always a good thing
drummer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've acquired a taste for water. I use to drink soft drinks and cordial and juice etc but now I drink several cups of water a day. I can feel a difference.
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't particularly like the taste of water but I do feel healthier for the benefits of it and it always helps to keep headaches at bay whilst I also just feel more alert if I drink enough water.

My aim is to have four pints of water a day, enough so I feel hydrated yet not to the point of going to the loo every five minutes.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)

It wont rot your teeth like drinking all that Pepsi
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tullia)
Name:  I-See-What-You-Did-There-Rage-Face-Meme.png
Views: 90
Size:  5.5 KB
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love cold water (esp from the tap), it's better than squash or fizzy drinks - they all taste too artificial. I pretty much only drink coffee and cold water - I just keep a full cup next to the computer, which makes sure that I drink it.

I also get several liters of fluids from beer, but I'm pretty sure that just comes straight out again .
Daniel_R
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I drink how much my body asks me to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (54)
68.35%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
20.25%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.39%

Watched Threads