How long can I keep my college tutor on my CV as a reference? Watch

Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I had her as my tutor about 2 years ago. I can't replace her with everyone else just yet. Is it okay to keep on this long?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
I had her as my tutor about 2 years ago. I can't replace her with everyone else just yet. Is it okay to keep on this long?
That's up to her, but probably not. You must have met some other adult in a professional capacity in the last 2 years?
colef001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's up to her whether she consents to being your referee or not so you might want to drop her an e-mail and check she's still happy to be on your CV.

Ideally you should try and replace her with a more recent referee, a manager from your old job for example.

Some places are particular about who counts as a referee, they might state that they have to have known you for a certain number of years, so if she's okay with it I'd keep her details on there.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. This was about a job I applied for yesterday, but since I didn't see the the replies I just put her down :dontknow:

(Original post by threeportdrift)
That's up to her, but probably not. You must have met some other adult in a professional capacity in the last 2 years?
I really haven't! One of my references is my old manager (but he is from two years ago too!), and since then I haven't worked. I've gone to uni but not met the person the assigned for me to a be a personal tutor so that wouldn't do.
claireythepinkfairy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would definitely arrange to meet your personal tutor as much as you can for your remaining time at university as they are likely to be you reference when apply for jobs once you graduate. The better they know you, the less generic the reference!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There should be no mention of referees or references (not even to state that they are available) on your CV, unless the recruiter has specifically asked for them. This is normally a matter for later in the recruitment process and references shouldn't be given until they are asked for, so the answer to the OP's question is No, take it off your CV.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
There should be no mention of referees or references (not even to state that they are available) on your CV, unless the recruiter has specifically asked for them. This is normally a matter for later in the recruitment process and references shouldn't be given until they are asked for, so the answer to the OP's question is No, take it off your CV.
Oh yes, well it says on my CV 'references available upon request', I was filling an application form when I made the thread which asked for references. I don't know why I put CV in the title actually.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
it says on my CV 'references available upon request'
It shouldn't say that. Take it off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads