Overweight and happy? Watch

nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Simple question: do you think someone can genuinely be overweight and content with their body? I know there's a lot of celebs advocating being happy with your shape, but I don't know, I'm tempted to call that bullpoop. Is anybody overweight (size 14+??) and okay with it? I'm not, and I still feel annoyed with my flab sometimes.
tk1993
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not either, but some people definitely are happy being overweight. To some (mainly women), the idea of breaking away from the ideals plastered everywhere about how to look can be liberating. Also, maintaining the weight, i.e. as long as it isn't constantly increasing, is fine to some. Some people have positive lives outside of their weight too, so they can still be happy. It's all in the confidence, really.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it is bullpop; but we as human beings would never be happy with what we have.
Pinkhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure.
Surely it is a physical nuisance to be overweight? You are severely limited in your physical abilities compared to a healthy/fit person. So even if you didn't mind the appearance, your lack of fitness will make you unhappy, right?
Perhaps it is because I engage in a lot of physical activity that I feel that way. I guess if you don't participate in anything like that, then you wouldn't feel down about it.
Cll_ws
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's hard to say whether they're just trying to convince people that they're happy. I mean i'm sure nobody would choose to be overweight.
But I guess there could be people that just don't want to try and lose went, meaning they're content with staying how they are. I guess that could be classed as "happy with who they are"

I find the whole thing strange though, I don't think being overweight should be celebrated, or something to be happy with. It's not good for your health, in the same way being seriously underweight isn't, and nobody accepts those people saying they're happy, or images promoting having your ribcage showing through your skin!
jmlkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think some people embrace being fat - good for them, but i think they're stupid for doing so. It's essentially self harm. Why can't they embrace being a healthier weight?

Edit: As above says, the same goes for being underweight (Although this is more likely to be caused by a real illness as opposed to "fat genes").
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Pinkhead, agreed! Even if you feel okay with the appearance, I'm sure the physical effects would be annoying...?
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
I am not happy to be overweight but I am happy with who I am, being overweight does not define me

I do not find myself physically limited, I am not the most active person in the world but I would not say that is because of my weight (though perhaps causation is the other way round )

On the other hand, focussed dieting makes me obsessed with my weight and does cause me unhappiness
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People who are extremely overweight and say they are happy with it, are lying, to themselves as much as anybody. It's a mixture of them being defensive and insecure, as well as trying to justify their actions to themselves in order to feel less guilty.

How often do you hear obese people say things like 'I could lose weight if I wanted to, but I'm happy with my body' - Bull****. What they mean is 'I could lose weight if I ate healthy and exercised, but I would much rather eat crap and sit on my arse all day'
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jmlkey)
I think some people embrace being fat - good for them, but i think they're stupid for doing so. It's essentially self harm. Why can't they embrace being a healthier weight?
I'd sooner have steak and chips than a salad and african peace biscuits.
Anon420
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm 6ft 3 nearly and 15stone, I'm overweight but not massively. Doesn't bother me at all, I don't engage in physical activities like sports. My life revolves around technology and IT... I don't care for golf, football, running etc. Quite happy with my games, movies, tv, anime, comics. The most demanding thing I do is walk and lift a few bits of computer equipment around (some of it is actually a bit bulky! :P)

I'll visit computer/comic conventions, probably the only time i'll stand up for more than a few hours! It's ok to not conform to society, long as you are happy, be as you want and don't worry what other people are themselves or what they think. Although I tell a lie, I do play sports. e-Sports with a clan of friends
whyumadtho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

Search "bbw" on YouTube. People aspire to become as big as possible.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's a trade-off of ugliness vs eating lots. Some people don't mind being ugly and really like eating, so they're happier on balance.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
People who are extremely overweight and say they are happy with it, are lying, to themselves as much as anybody. It's a mixture of them being defensive and insecure, as well as trying to justify their actions to themselves in order to feel less guilty.

How often do you hear obese people say things like 'I could lose weight if I wanted to, but I'm happy with my body' - Bull****. What they mean is 'I could lose weight if I ate healthy and exercised, but I would much rather eat crap and sit on my arse all day'
I've been all sorts of sizes. Underweight, overweight neither one nor the other.
I just eat what I want when I want. The whole concept of "guilt" over what you eat and when you eat it is the real bull****.
If you know your own mind you don't need the aproval of others.

If I wanted the aproval of others i'd get a 9-5 job, buy a VW golf and become an eco freak. As it is, I'm self employed, drive a 40 year old V8 sports car and go racing.

Folk spend far too much time worrying about what others think instead of what they think and what matters to themselves.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think a lot of the people who insist they're happy with their weight are trying to convince themselves. I know I used to. In the end, I realised that actually it wasn't anything to do with how I looked, but I had to start thinking about my health. When I have children, I don't want them to be worrying that I might be dead by the age of 50 (if I'm lucky) because I was so overweight. This was something that I wasn't wanting to happen, and that's why I lost weight. That, and the fact that I was fed up of not fitting into clothes in high street shops, and I was fed up of people not sitting next to me on the bus because they wouldn't have fit alongside me on the seat. True story.
crocker710
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)

Completely agree - my the nature of the term 'over-weight' it's an acknowledgement that it's abnormal.
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I'd sooner have steak and chips than a salad and african peace biscuits.
You can eat whatever you want and still stay at a healthy weight. You just might not being able to have 4 portions of it.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can eat whatever you want and still stay at a healthy weight. You just might not being able to have 4 portions of it.
Then that's hardly "doing what you want" then, is it?
jmlkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Then that's hardly "doing what you want" then, is it?
You quoted something I didn't say. There's nothing you can't eat, you just have to use moderation.
If you actively enjoy eating as much as you can put into your mouth, having a drastically decreased lifespan and not being able to do as much in the time you do have, then, really, good for you.
I'm just not aware of anyone that does enjoy that.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm just not aware of anyone that does enjoy that.
Hi.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads