Make-Me-A-Geek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so last year I started a Access Course and due to problems outside of college (mainly financial) I ended up having to drop out, ever since I have nothing but regret leaving and am really wanting to go back this year. The problems are 1. My family have absolutely no belief in me doing the course and I know I will receive a lot of bad criticism and they will be disappointed with the fact that once again I am leaving my full time job to pursue something I have messed in the past 2. My job, well I hate it to be honest, it doesn't interest me at all and is almost making me depressed, my family know this but nether the less think I should just deal with it as it is hard to find work at the moment.

I haven't told anyone I am hoping to go back but have already started to get the ball rolling, the closer it gets to me having to tell them to more worried I'm getting. I'm starting to think the way they think of me is true and starting to expect myself to fail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is getting really close to term time now and I need to make a decision very soon.

Thanks in advance
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Put yourself first, always. They are not right, your family - everyone has potential. Don't worry about them, this is how you will improve and show them you're better than they thought.

*nevertheless
Make-Me-A-Geek
Rep:
?
(Original post by nombo)
Put yourself first, always. They are not right, your family - everyone has potential. Don't worry about them, this is how you will improve and show them you're better than they thought.

*nevertheless
Thanks for the advice and although I do try to think like that it's still a big risk, what's to say that even though I'm so motivated and looking forward to it now, I won't end up messing up again.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ashtoreth
Report 7 years ago
lost count of the number of times i've messed up in the past...point is, it's in the past - i coulda kept on lookin over my shoulder at how terrible i was...and never looked toward the horizon/front or moved forward and done summat about it...

to change the course of events lies ahead of u and is purely in your hands...if u doubt yourself, u'll fail. have faith in yourself tho and with a bit of ability u can go as far, and aim as high, as u want.

the choice is yours.
Wild Horses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't ever let anyone put you down!

If you honestly believe in yourself that you can do it and you're serious about it then go for it. Do what makes you happy and for starters, surround yourself with people who will encourage and motivate you rather than surround yourself with negativity.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself" - Harvey Fierstei

And chase your dream like a fat kid after the ice-cream truck, no matter what aslong as it makes you happy and is for the better.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." - Harriet Tubman

Don't be afraid and discourage because of the failure from the past, try to motivate yourself and get the right attitude to succeed this time. Good luck mate!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Wild Horses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Make-Me-A-Geek)
Thanks for the advice and although I do try to think like that it's still a big risk, what's to say that even though I'm so motivated and looking forward to it now, I won't end up messing up again.

good thinking, keep motivated cause there are times that it will get hard and you will feel weighted down but dig deep and keep your head up! good luck mate!
Make-Me-A-Geek
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice and word of encouragement everyone, much appreciated.
Loubielou88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've just finished a year long intensive access course in health science.
I'm not going to lie to you, it will be tough without a support network there for you.

But I want to assure you there were many women like you in my course this year. I myself started the course nervous, unconfident and self defeating, but our class became a tight knit group because we were all in the same boat.
We'd all failed to go through the "usual" route of education due to varying reasons but we all wanted to change that.
We held almost daily pep talks for people and broke down the year into small segments and celebrated when we achieved another term or half term.

Having now finished the course I am proud of myself and I know a lot of my classmates were in the same boat as you are now. They had family telling them they couldn't do it, they shouldn't do it or that it was a waste of time. Now they've got their certificates in their hand and have offers for university or the determination to re-apply next year having learned from their mistakes.

Don't let anyone talk you out of what you know is the right path for you.
I'm 24 and my parents wanted me to do my a-levels with a bunch of 16 year olds and weren't happy when I chose to do an access course instead.
I am now the proud owner of an Access Qualification with 40 level 3 credits at distinction and 20 level 3 credits at merit, all because I believed in myself and my classmates encouraged me to do well.
Make-Me-A-Geek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loubielou88)
I've just finished a year long intensive access course in health science.
I'm not going to lie to you, it will be tough without a support network there for you.

But I want to assure you there were many women like you in my course this year. I myself started the course nervous, unconfident and self defeating, but our class became a tight knit group because we were all in the same boat.
We'd all failed to go through the "usual" route of education due to varying reasons but we all wanted to change that.
We held almost daily pep talks for people and broke down the year into small segments and celebrated when we achieved another term or half term.

Having now finished the course I am proud of myself and I know a lot of my classmates were in the same boat as you are now. They had family telling them they couldn't do it, they shouldn't do it or that it was a waste of time. Now they've got their certificates in their hand and have offers for university or the determination to re-apply next year having learned from their mistakes.

Don't let anyone talk you out of what you know is the right path for you.
I'm 24 and my parents wanted me to do my a-levels with a bunch of 16 year olds and weren't happy when I chose to do an access course instead.
I am now the proud owner of an Access Qualification with 40 level 3 credits at distinction and 20 level 3 credits at merit, all because I believed in myself and my classmates encouraged me to do well.
Thanks for that, I'm now thinking of doing it bias distant learning, this way I can keep my job but still hopefully be finished in time to go to university in 2013

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.47%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.23%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.29%

Watched Threads