Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, my friend told me about this forum becuse i need help with maths so i'd thought i give this forum a try.

I've done 4 P1 practice papers and get Us. The best i got is an E.
    So tonight I started my 5th practice P1 paper hoping to do better, i have found that im starting to understand them better and know wot all thw questions are on about its just that I cant remember some stuff, i know some of thw questions are really simple but i simply can't remember how to do them can anyone help?
    This question is very easy i jsut cant remember:

A curve C1 has an eqn y=(4-3x)(5-3x)
    (i) find the gradient of C1 at the point (1,2)
    i did this one
    and i got -11 1/4
    i factorised thw equation and got 2 values for X and then used one of them to find Y and with this pair of points and the other one (1,2) i got the gradient.

(ii) hence find an quation of the tangent to C1 at this point, and find the coordinates of the point where this tangent cuts the y-axis
    i did the first part of this one and got: y=-9x+11
    then i couldnt do the rest
    (iii) find the equation of C2 in the form y=f(x)
    and i cant do this because i couldnt do part ii

then there is question 8
    the diagram of acylinder whose hieght is h cm and whose cross-section is a circle of radius r cm. the diagonal AB of the rectangualer place of symmetry of the cylinder has length 15cm.

all i know is that i can split this cylinder into 2 triangles which shoud make the calculation easier.
    (i) show that 4r^2 + h^2 = 225
    then i think i should be able to do the rest if i know this one but i'll write the other parts out anyway
    (ii) hence find a formula for the volume of the cylinder in terms of h.
    (iii) show that the colume of the cylinder is maximum when h^2 =75, justifying that this value of h gives a maximum volume.
    (iv) find the maximum volume of the cylinder, to the nearest cubic centimetre.

thanks, I have been thinking about quiting AS maths, i dont find understanding it too hard but remembering it all and then being able to apply the knowledge to loads of different problems like in these p1 practice papers is so hard.
    and my marks so far are Us and best is an E??
    How do you find AS maths if your doing it now or have done it? what problems did u experience if you had any? ever felt like quiting? how did it all go in the end? how much work did u have to put into it for the exams etc?
    thanks people

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure someone will work that out for you, I don't have time at the moment.

What advice I can give you is to revise chapter 3 (geometry in the x,y plane?),5 (differentation) and 6 (Intergration) and then chapter 1 (algebra).

3,5 and 6 link so nicely and are always tested in the same questions on the p1 papers, including the one you've asked help with.

I think you will notice a big difference in your marks if you follow that order. The other chapters are independent of each other so it doesn't matte how you do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebop)
    I'm sure someone will work that out for you, I don't have time at the moment.

What advice I can give you is to revise chapter 3 (geometry in the x,y plane?),5 (differentation) and 6 (Intergration) and then chapter 1 (algebra).

3,5 and 6 link so nicely and are always tested in the same questions on the p1 papers, including the one you've asked help with.

I think you will notice a big difference in your marks if you follow that order. The other chapters are independent of each other so it doesn't matte how you do them.
    thanks for that advice i'll do that. thanks

ReputationRep:
    if you have the papers, and you are doing MEI as I am then visit;

www.meikleriggs.org.uk

thats the MEI website which has solutions to past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greeny_3)
    if you have the papers, and you are doing MEI as I am then visit;

www.meikleriggs.org.uk

thats the MEI website which has solutions to past papers.
    thank you unfortunately the ones Im doing are from Delphis Publications.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too worried if they are from delphis publications. They are after a quick bob or two, and their papers are generally not very well worded or thought out. They are a somewhat useful revision aid in that they do have questions, but sometimes their questions are harder than actual exam ones. Try a past paper...you should find you do better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    Hi everyone, my friend told me about this forum becuse i need help with maths so i'd thought i give this forum a try.

I've done 4 P1 practice papers and get Us. The best i got is an E.
    So tonight I started my 5th practice P1 paper hoping to do better, i have found that im starting to understand them better and know wot all thw questions are on about its just that I cant remember some stuff, i know some of thw questions are really simple but i simply can't remember how to do them can anyone help?
    This question is very easy i jsut cant remember:

A curve C1 has an eqn y=(4-3x)(5-3x)
    (i) find the gradient of C1 at the point (1,2)
    i did this one
    and i got -11 1/4
    i factorised thw equation and got 2 values for X and then used one of them to find Y and with this pair of points and the other one (1,2) i got the gradient.
    well gradient is 18(1)-27 = -11
    (ii) hence find an quation of the tangent to C1 at this point, and find the coordinates of the point where this tangent cuts the y-axis
    i did the first part of this one and got: y=-9x+11

equation:
    y-2=-11(x-1)
    y=-11x+13

then i couldnt do the rest
    (iii) find the equation of C2 in the form y=f(x)
    and i cant do this because i couldnt do part ii
    you don't mention C2 in the question!
    then there is question 8
    the diagram of acylinder whose hieght is h cm and whose cross-section is a circle of radius r cm. the diagonal AB of the rectangualer place of symmetry of the cylinder has length 15cm.

all i know is that i can split this cylinder into 2 triangles which shoud make the calculation easier.
    (i) show that 4r^2 + h^2 = 225
    then i think i should be able to do the rest if i know this one but i'll write the other parts out anyway
    (ii) hence find a formula for the volume of the cylinder in terms of h.
    (iii) show that the colume of the cylinder is maximum when h^2 =75, justifying that this value of h gives a maximum volume.
    (iv) find the maximum volume of the cylinder, to the nearest cubic centimetre.

thanks, I have been thinking about quiting AS maths, i dont find understanding it too hard but remembering it all and then being able to apply the knowledge to loads of different problems like in these p1 practice papers is so hard.
    and my marks so far are Us and best is an E??
    How do you find AS maths if your doing it now or have done it? what problems did u experience if you had any? ever felt like quiting? how did it all go in the end? how much work did u have to put into it for the exams etc?
    thanks people

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.