Why don't they give the army something different to wear to the olympics? Watch

Jack93o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18966360

With more troops being deployed, the army will have a very large presence in and around the olympic park/venues. So why not give them something different to wear instead of their usual army camouflage attire?

That way, they'll blend right in to the olympics and they'll look alot more friendly to people. I was just hearing a while ago on the news that there were concerns that the olympic park will look too militarized because of these troops, so why not just dress them up to look exactly like the other G4S security staff? You'd barely be able to tell them apart. Seems like a no brainer to me.
standreams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The military personnel conducting security checks last night were friendly, smiley and welcoming, as well as being incredibly efficient. Why waste thousands of Pounds on new uniform to solve a problem which doesn't exist? They don't (as far as I can see) have arms on them, and they have bright pink London 2012 lanyards on....hard to look threatening in bright pink.

The Olympic Park does not look like a military base I assure you.

Also, I didn't see ANY G4S security staff last night- just Army and Royal Navy personnel (no RAF but I'm sure they're there too).
Jack93o
Rep:
?
(Original post by standreams)
The military personnel conducting security checks last night were friendly, smiley and welcoming, as well as being incredibly efficient. Why waste thousands of Pounds on new uniform to solve a problem which doesn't exist? They don't (as far as I can see) have arms on them, and they have bright pink London 2012 lanyards on....hard to look threatening in bright pink.

The Olympic Park does not look like a military base I assure you.

Also, I didn't see ANY G4S security staff last night- just Army and Royal Navy personnel (no RAF but I'm sure they're there too).
They could always make G4S pay for those new uniforms just like they are currently made to pay for the cost of bringing on these troops, i.e their wages.
clarusblue
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would there even be time to arrange/make enough uniforms at such short notice?
standreams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jack93o)
They could always make G4S pay for those new uniforms just like they are currently made to pay for the cost of bringing on these troops, i.e their wages.
True, but again the question- why bother...there is no real problem here to be solved.

I was at Olympic Park yesterday and thought the troops did a fantastic job, they certainly didn't come across as threatening in any way at all. Very friendly, welcoming, polite and amazingly enthusiastic given the circumstances of their being there. I'm not a flag-waving patriot who has a rosy-eyed view of the armed forces and supports them in everything they do, but yesterday I was impressed and I think the world will be when they come to London.

Hiding them in civilian uniform (despite the fact the whole world knows that the military are providing much of the security at the event) just seems a bit dishonest...and would result in negative publicity.
Jack93o
Rep:
?
(Original post by standreams)
True, but again the question- why bother...there is no real problem here to be solved.

I was at Olympic Park yesterday and thought the troops did a fantastic job, they certainly didn't come across as threatening in any way at all. Very friendly, welcoming, polite and amazingly enthusiastic given the circumstances of their being there. I'm not a flag-waving patriot who has a rosy-eyed view of the armed forces and supports them in everything they do, but yesterday I was impressed and I think the world will be when they come to London.

Hiding them in civilian uniform (despite the fact the whole world knows that the military are providing much of the security at the event) just seems a bit dishonest...and would result in negative publicity.
But the games haven't started yet now have they?

When they do start, they'll no doubt be more visible as they patrol the park and handle checks because thats when the mass load of spectators arrive each day.

I'm not disputing their attitudes, they probably are friendly chaps, but its the perception and the mere sight of their presence which is the issue because most people won't get to talk to them so obviously they won't get to know these lovely lads. They'll just see a load of army personnel, thats it. And this obviously doesn't blend well the with friendly and welcoming message of the olympics. Tourists may not feel as comfortable as you do about them, and I don't think its dishonest to give them new uniforms, its about whats appropriate, this isn't a military operation and they're not in a battle zone so theres no point to camouflage clothing.
Glow in the dark
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's the point spending more money on unnecessary additions? I would think people feeling the presence of the army would give a greater sense of security, which is the idea right?
ForensicShoe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Glow in the dark)
What's the point spending more money on unnecessary additions? I would think people feeling the presence of the army would give a greater sense of security, which is the idea right?
This.

It'll act as a visible deterrent/reassurance.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What use would there be in giving them different uniforms or making them wear their formal uniforms? They're there on duty, not for ceremony. Leave them to do the job they're good at.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Given the high costs of the Olympics already, I'm perfectly happy that money isn't being spent on thousands more uniforms for the army that will be used for only a few weeks. It's hardly a priority.
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the case of an actual threat to national security, I'd rather have the army in the attire that they're used to rather than something else. If they were wearing g4s uniforms they just wouldn't feel or seem like soldiers.
Jack93o
Rep:
?
You would, but would tourists necessarily feel the same way?

If I went to beijing for example in the last olympics and saw a load of army men, I know I'd feel somewhat uneasy
Glow in the dark
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You would, but would tourists necessarily feel the same way?

If I went to beijing for example in the last olympics and saw a load of army men, I know I'd feel somewhat uneasy
You can't please everyone, the games are in London after all.

People may feel uneasy when you pass though kings cross on a day to day basis and armed police officers are stood their in Military wear holding an assault rifle each. Safety first.

Besides, it just seems more appropriate to wear clothing which everyone knows, rather than kitting them out in clothing no one had seen before, I'd be put less at ease by this personally
Sw3ensterFM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And this obviously doesn't blend well the with friendly and welcoming message of the olympics.
Hmm...

Name:  2492368712.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  161.1 KB
Foghorn Leghorn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sw3ensterFM)
Hmm...

You always see armed police in london anyway. :dontknow:
Foghorn Leghorn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why spend money on something they don't need. The camo they are wearing is their standard uniform anyway plus they all have big I.D badges on them.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm...

Have you not noticed that virtually all motorcycle policemen in London have been armed for about the last 10 years?
Jack93o
Rep:
?
You can't please everyone, the games are in London after all.

People may feel uneasy when you pass though kings cross on a day to day basis and armed police officers are stood their in Military wear holding an assault rifle each. Safety first.

Besides, it just seems more appropriate to wear clothing which everyone knows, rather than kitting them out in clothing no one had seen before, I'd be put less at ease by this personally
Why? the original plans were to have G4S supply most of the security workers anyway, and they obviously wouldn't be in army uniforms.

And I don't think will affect safety at all, I just think they should change their clothing to present a more welcoming and friendly atmosphere to vistors, this won't affect their ability to do the job.
Jack93o
Rep:
?
Hmm...

So just because we have small number of armed police as part of security, we shouldn't bother with the presentation of everyone else?
blu tack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because it's unnecessary, would cost a fortune, and it's too short notice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads