what do biology graduates do? help! Watch

gingermitch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i've got to apply for ucas this term coming at school, my main choices are between business and biology related subjects - completely different i know.

but i was wondering specifically what graduates of biology do and who they'd work for/what the kind of graduate job entails? i know on the uni websites they give a brief outline of general jobs, ie research, but are there any bio grads on here who can tell me what they're now specifically doing? and what others in their year have gone on to do? especially anyone who went to a scottish uni to study as thats where i'd be going.

thanks
I have a question
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you can work in a morgue... well that's why I want to apply for human biology.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well it's not specific but a friend of mine who is going to study Biology next year wants to work for an NGO in Environmental Conservation which having Biology would be very useful for.

Also, my mother did Biology up to Doctorate level and works in Corporate Responsibility, specializing in developing environmental strategies for large companies. She says that likes hiring biology grads for work in this field.
YB101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gingermitch)
i've got to apply for ucas this term coming at school, my main choices are between business and biology related subjects - completely different i know.

but i was wondering specifically what graduates of biology do and who they'd work for/what the kind of graduate job entails? i know on the uni websites they give a brief outline of general jobs, ie research, but are there any bio grads on here who can tell me what they're now specifically doing? and what others in their year have gone on to do? especially anyone who went to a scottish uni to study as thats where i'd be going.

thanks
I'm doing a life science course in October and from what I know, Biology graduates can enter pretty much an profession as they learn many transferable skills however the majority of them require further qualifications (Msc/PhD) to become a research scientist
Historophilia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh and I should add some other things.

I have a family friend who studied Biology and is now a journalist, in fact he's the Science Editor of the Economist.

Also, I had a two month internship in a PR agency which had a section dedicated to health related companies and organisations, particularly big pharmaceutical companies. A lot of the people doing that had biology degrees.
I love shopping
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could stay in science by going into research after doing a masters and pHD, or you could work in the food industry or pharmaceutical industry. A lot of pharmaceutical companies have graduate entry schemes that you can apply for.

A lot of graduate jobs don't require a specific degree, so you could take that route if you later decide that you don't want to stay in Science.
Solid.Snake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well you can work in research or go into teaching, or maybe work in certain industries like pharmaceutics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads