The Student Room Group

Worth Taking a Job out while doing 5 Highers?

Hey :smile:

Im doing 5 highers next year, well hopefully, And Im wondering if its too risky taking up a part time job.

At first I thought I could handle it, after thinking about it Im just not sure.

Will I be able to cope, will there be enough time to fit studying in ?

Have any of you been through the same thing ?

The money would be a good help at home but I dont want to ruin my education just for some dosh.

What do you think?
You can cope if you want to cope.
It depends how many hours you're talking about.

I had a job from 3rd year all the way through to Advanced Highers, worked fine for me.

Of course, this is assuming you get a job :/
Reply 3
Original post by Aay
Hey :smile:

Im doing 5 highers next year, well hopefully, And Im wondering if its too risky taking up a part time job.

At first I thought I could handle it, after thinking about it Im just not sure.

Will I be able to cope, will there be enough time to fit studying in ?

Have any of you been through the same thing ?

The money would be a good help at home but I dont want to ruin my education just for some dosh.

What do you think?

I did 5 highers and I barely coped with no job. Having said that, if you're worried about a job affecting your studies then I honestly wouldn't get a job. Don't underestimate highers as they can be a pain especially 5 of them. If you were to, however, get a job of 5 hours maximum then I don't think it'll be too problematic. But the thing is, with work comes stress and with studies (5 highers no less) comes stress as well. If it were me I wouldn't.

As for helping around at home, what about the EMA?

In any case good luck buddy and if you need any help or advice then just go ahead and ask. :wink:

:smile::fluffy:
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
I did 5 highers and I barely coped with no job. Having said that, if you're worried about a job affecting your studies then I honestly wouldn't get a job. Don't underestimate highers as they can be a pain especially 5 of them. If you were to, however, get a job of 5 hours maximum then I don't think it'll be too problematic. But the thing is, with work comes stress and with studies (5 highers no less) comes stress as well. If it were me I wouldn't.

As for helping around at home, what about the EMA?

In any case good luck buddy and if you need any help or advice then just go ahead and ask. :wink:

:smile::fluffy:

Thanks mate, Will need to have a decent think about it. Hmm.

EMA, I tried to deal with before I left on holiday, Mum had been made redundant and I met every single one of their requirements and they refused me, School said they'd deal with it, So will need to see when I go back, its £30 odds isnt it ?
I did 5 Highers in S5 and had a paper-run and had a voluntary job. Did 3 AHs and a crash Higher in S6 and had a Saturday job with the voluntary job. I coped well. Got 5 As at Higher, and feel I did pretty well in my exams this year. It's definitely possible.
Reply 6
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I did 5 Highers in S5 and had a paper-run and had a voluntary job. Did 3 AHs and a crash Higher in S6 and had a Saturday job with the voluntary job. I coped well. Got 5 As at Higher, and feel I did pretty well in my exams this year. It's definitely possible.

Thanks, Now..

How to go about getting myself one.

I know a few of the stores emply 16 y/os but you have to go in store and ask dont you ?

Ive been looking online and no luck there..
There are other forums on here where you'd get more/better advice, but there are listings on some job sites - try your local council's, Jobcentre Plus, s1jobs, temp agencies. Large companies/chains will advertise on their websites. Asking in store is an option, but I had effectively no luck when I did that a couple years ago and not for lack of effort.
Reply 8
Original post by Aay
Thanks mate, Will need to have a decent think about it. Hmm.

EMA, I tried to deal with before I left on holiday, Mum had been made redundant and I met every single one of their requirements and they refused me, School said they'd deal with it, So will need to see when I go back, its £30 odds isnt it ?

The EMA is £60 every two weeks. :smile: It's definitely a good thing to have: it certainly helped me a lot. :smile:
Reply 9
Right, thanks alot guys.

Will have a look at other forums aswell.

Peace :smile:
It'll be fine, not easy to get a job though.
Am I just being blonde here, but why is everyone writing "5 highers"... I thought 5 highers was the norm. I also had a job from s4 until now, 5 years later.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Am I just being blonde here, but why is everyone writing "5 highers"... I thought 5 highers was the norm. I also had a job from s4 until now, 5 years later.

It's the norm for the 'most capable' students. Not the norm overall though. In my school, it was probably the norm to do 3/4 Int 2's + 1/2 Highers in S5.
Original post by Ecosse_14
It's the norm for the 'most capable' students. Not the norm overall though. In my school, it was probably the norm to do 3/4 Int 2's + 1/2 Highers in S5.

Really, we did int2s instead of standard grades...
Reply 14
I did 4 Alevels + critical thinking and had a job (so technically 5), Almost everyone I know had a job or was constantly trying to find one. And since the only Knowledge I have of highers is that university entry requirements seem to ask for 5 higher grades and or 3 A level grades I'm going to guess you would be completely fine.
Original post by nerd434
A relatively small percentage of students study five Highers in one sitting. According to the SQA statistics from 2011, there were 178,925 entries into Higher examinations with only 11,111 of those taking 5 Highers altogether; around 18%. Out of the 178,925 entries, 1,771 (3%) achieved five A grades, 82 (0%) achieved 6 A grades and 2 (0%) achieved 7 A grades.

Yep, that was my point :yep:
Reply 16
Original post by Ecosse_14
Yep, that was my point :yep:

Wow, I'm gobsmacked I remember our teacher saying we where in the top quarter of school year but I didn't think that only 18% of entries sit 5 Highers in one sitting but when I think back many didn't sit 5 Highers because they got a 3 in Maths in my school

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
well to be honest most people including myself will tell themselves "oh i'll study every night for my highers" and they never do. Unless you're really motivated it's hard to study for things when you dont actually have exams coming up :P I did 5 highers last year with a 20 hour a week job over christmas...I think my prelims suffered a bit because of it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending