chocolate buttons
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a £50 note I got for my birthday but I'm not sure if any shops will accept it. If I go into a post office will they change it up for me (2 £20's and a £10)?
Cephalus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Or go into a shop and buy a Freddo Frog.
Hobo389
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tycho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used a £100 note in Asda once. They accepted it - but only after putting it through forensic examination first. There's something pleasing about buying something at £8.50 and getting £91.50 of change.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most shops will accept them. They are a pain in the arse - for a note of such high value, it is surprising that it has so few security features when compared to other notes.

If you don't want to go shopping with it, I am sure the post office will change it up.
Jack93o
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just go to your bank and get changed up :facepalm2:
Ice Constricter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most shops probably wouldn't refuse it.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd probably deposit it at your bank then withdraw from a cash machine to get tens/twenties.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Theres no reason shops should decline it unless you start rinsing their till for all the change in it the most they should do is actually check its real..
failing that banks, the post office etc. will usually change it for you although some retailers demand you buy something before changing it.
social outcast
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
most shops will take without asking to many questions
J0nes_X
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Won't be a problem anywhere as long as you don't buy something for 10p. By law everywhere has to accept it anyways, although there are bound to be one or two that say they don't.
Kage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The new £50 notes are more secure than the older £50 notes. We accept them all the time where I work.

I figure if that special hologram works (i.e it moves about), it can't be fake...
That and the colours are meant to rub off, but I generally don't test that.

As long as any note doesn't feel funny, and looks well printed, I accept them.
We count many thousands in one go, so you can't be testing every 20-50 you see in a forensic way.
ThatPerson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally most retail stores have UV Scanners/Pens to show the hidden security features of notes. There are also many different ways to tell if a note is fake - the number, the paper; if you hold it up to the light you can see the queens face in the normally black centre part. In other words people trust the £50, even if it is uncommon to use £50 notes for small-ticket items.
conflict
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a grip.
lilangel890
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Change it at the bank
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads