Countdown to Nintendo 3DS XL launch Watch

Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I tried the 3DS XL out at lunch and succumbed to the temptation. I've pre-ordered a silver 3DS XL at Game for £180 but trading in my 3DS for £100, plus a £10 off voucher and the charger thrown in. So I'm paying £70. Not completely amazing but not too shabby.

I really like the new design and feel, although it is heavier and less pocket friendly. The more noticeable pixels is a fair trade-off in my opinion for the larger screen size. I tend to hold my DS fairly far away anyway, so they're less noticeable.

Has anyone else pre-ordered? When you get one or try one out please share your thoughts here!
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What a ridiculous waste of money; Nintendo didn't even add that second analog stick everyone wanted.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've personally never been less enthused by a console launch ever. The omission of the second circle pad is just baffling.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
What a ridiculous waste of money; Nintendo didn't even add that second analog stick everyone wanted.
(Original post by Gofre)
I've personally never been less enthused by a console launch ever. The omission of the second circle pad is just baffling.
That's what I thought... until I held one I'm such a sucker for new gadgets. It didn't help that I've been playing and forcing myself to love Kid Icarus too. That would look so much better on that massive screen. I'll probably kick myself but the size of screen and form factor was enough for me. Plus getting rid of my 3DS with the lines on the main screen caused by the raised lower screen.
Luhar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do like the new 3DS XL, but I bought the original on launch for £220 and got the ambassador games on it so I won't be trading for a new one sadly.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luhar)
I do like the new 3DS XL, but I bought the original on launch for £220 and got the ambassador games on it so I won't be trading for a new one sadly.
Is it not possible to transfer the ambassador games across?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Luhar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
Is it not possible to transfer the ambassador games across?

Don't think so.
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
I picked up my 3DS XL earlier from Game, they were selling it a day early. Small wins.
python05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Luhar)
Don't think so.
I bought a red 3DS a few months ago, and used System Transfer to move all my ambassador games (and everything I'd purchased from the eShop) from my launch Blue system! Worked great, except all my save files got lost for some reason...
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luhar)
Don't think so.
(Original post by python05)
I bought a red 3DS a few months ago, and used System Transfer to move all my ambassador games (and everything I'd purchased from the eShop) from my launch Blue system! Worked great, except all my save files got lost for some reason...
Yeah, I just did the same to the XL, it worked fine (but took blinkin ages).
Luhar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Yeah, I just did the same to the XL, it worked fine (but took blinkin ages).
Yeh, but don't you need both systems with you? I would have to trade my current one in then buy the new XL one.
python05
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Luhar)
Yeh, but don't you need both systems with you? I would have to trade my current one in then buy the new XL one.
See if they'll let you do it instore? It's in their interest that you trade in with them, so I can't see them saying no. Especially if you then decide that you won't be trading in to them...
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luhar)
They let you take both home and then bring the old one in a few days later. I've got my old 3DS for this weekend, taking it in to complete the exchange on Monday. Game are being incredibly flexible really. Quite surprising.

Luhar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They let you take both home and then bring the old one in a few days later. I've got my old 3DS for this weekend, taking it in to complete the exchange on Monday. Game are being incredibly flexible really. Quite surprising.

Oh that would be good. Hmm I want the 3DS XL but I'm also saving up for a WiiU.
Mr.DL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nintendo really get on my nerves! The 3DS is only around 18 months old a already an 'Upgrade'? Idk why I bothered getting the original 3DS as I'm always frustrated with it! I'm never ever going to get a new Nintendo product as there will always be an upgrade for it (ds then lite, then dsi, then dsi xl, now 3ds to 3ds xl. Nintendo, what a joke.

python05
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr.DL)
Nintendo really get on my nerves! The 3DS is only around 18 months old a already an 'Upgrade'? Idk why I bothered getting the original 3DS as I'm always frustrated with it! I'm never ever going to get a new Nintendo product as there will always be an upgrade for it (ds then lite, then dsi, then dsi xl, now 3ds to 3ds xl. Nintendo, what a joke.

Apple really get on my nerves... releasing a new iPhone/iPad every year. I'm never going to get a new Apple product because there will always be an upgrade for it. Apple, what a joke.

Sorry, but that amused me greatly.

Anyway, Nintendo are still selling the 'old' 3DS. It's not a replacement, it's an additional option. Just like the DSi and the DSi XL were sold alongside each other. Amazingly, your current 3DS will still work! No need to get the XL just because it's newer and shinier!
Captain Jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luhar)
Oh that would be good. Hmm I want the 3DS XL but I'm also saving up for a WiiU.
Apple really get on my nerves... releasing a new iPhone/iPad every year. I'm never going to get a new Apple product because there will always be an upgrade for it. Apple, what a joke.

Sorry, but that amused me greatly.

Anyway, Nintendo are still selling the 'old' 3DS. It's not a replacement, it's an additional option. Just like the DSi and the DSi XL were sold alongside each other. Amazingly, your current 3DS will still work! No need to get the XL just because it's newer and shinier!
Exactly.

Luhar, if you're saving up for a Wii U I wouldn't worry about the 3DS XL, it really doesn't do anything differently and actually the smaller screen looks sharper. The bigger screen space is merely a nice to have.
Luhar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exactly.

Luhar, if you're saving up for a Wii U I wouldn't worry about the 3DS XL, it really doesn't do anything differently and actually the smaller screen looks sharper. The bigger screen space is merely a nice to have.
Yeh that's true, the bigger screen did appeal to me and better battery life but the the normal 3DS is still good. I'll pre-order the Wii U soon.
Super Cicero
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I decided to wait before an upgraded version of the 3DS came out before buying it, but now I'm really not sure. Is it worth it? If I bought one I'd probably get the new Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time remake, but are there any other really good games for the 3DS?
python05
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Super Cicero)
I decided to wait before an upgraded version of the 3DS came out before buying it, but now I'm really not sure. Is it worth it? If I bought one I'd probably get the new Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time remake, but are there any other really good games for the 3DS?
Super Mario 3D Land, Pushmo, Super Pokemon Rumble, Mutant Mudds, VVVVVV among others that I've enjoyed!

Oh, the Kingdom Hearts demo was awesome too! But I can't afford any games at the moment!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads