double weighting/dissertation question Watch

bigchub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum

can anyone clarify how double weighting works in relation to dissertations?

is it just a straight 2x the percentage? (so 70% x 2 for example)

and does it count as 2 modules?

so in regards to working out the final degree mark the dividing number would be the number of modules, so technically there might be 10 contributing modules but the final percentage would be divided by 11 (as the dissertation counts as 2 - if u see what im getting at)

think that makes sense lol
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will depend on your course and university.

*generally* it just counts as two modules (but where I went we only did 8 modules a year - and in final year we did 6 + dissertation) but to know for sure in your particular case you'd need to check your student handbook or talk to your tutor.
username208984
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mine also counted just as 2 modules, we did 6 a year and 4 + dissertation in 3rd year and it was (from what I can gather) just a double percentage gained from a double percentage total or something.
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally it's 2 modules. If you look at the credits you get from it it will probably be 30 or 40 credits and that means it's a double module as most single modules are 15 or 20 credits.
bigchub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
cheers all. i have asked but its like getting blood from a stone from the uni

i know my final mark is made up of 60 credits from year 2 (so 4 modules) plus all of the final year (5 modules + the dissertation which is the only 30 credit/double weighted - technically did 6 but one module in the final year was a level 2/ 2nd year module and apparently counts towards the year 2 modules)

im just a little confused as if its divided by 10 or 11. the student handbook got used as roach material a long time ago lol and i cant find it online. if its 10 then im looking at being about 1% from a first (think i will be more sick if thats the case tbh) if its 11 then its still a 2:1

just bugging me really, you would think the universities would agree a 'standard' system for everyone
Strangey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bigchub)
apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum

can anyone clarify how double weighting works in relation to dissertations?

is it just a straight 2x the percentage? (so 70% x 2 for example)

and does it count as 2 modules?

so in regards to working out the final degree mark the dividing number would be the number of modules, so technically there might be 10 contributing modules but the final percentage would be divided by 11 (as the dissertation counts as 2 - if u see what im getting at)

think that makes sense lol
For my degree I did 9 modules worth 10 credits and a dissertation worth 30 credits, so it was worth a 1/4 of my year, the year itself was worth 80%, so there was a big weighting on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads