?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hdhzbsbs
milienhaus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a different qualification, supposed to be at the same level as normal GCSE. Differences in the curriculum mean you'll be covering different material, reading different books etc to the normal GCSE lot. I believe the IGCSE is supposed to be more difficult and so better respected, but I didn't do it do I'm not sure how true that is!
smile:D
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've just done my IGCSE English exam, it depends on which board you're doing (I did Edexcel), it's basically considered harder than normal GCSE, to give you an idea, for English Lit I did Pride and Prejudice and then A View from the Bridge, although they have different options.You answer 2 essay questions, one on each, during the one exam. Doing edexcel IGCSE involves learning lots of quotes, and pride and prejudice is quite a difficult book (especially language-wise), don't worry about it I'm sure you'll do fine, I didn't find it a massive step up. There's also less coursework with the IGCSE
cesca42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's the GCSE that students studying the British curriculum abroad use, but students in the UK still take it, usually because it's considered to be harder than standard GCSE. I didn't take IGCSE English, but I did take it for maths and geog, and the general rule is there's a smaller coursework element (or none at all) and it's not modular, meaning that you can't retake certain modules to boost up your overall grade (although since there are only two papers in English anyway, this doesn't make much difference).
A7d8i6l
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
International general certificate for secondary education (IGCSE) this is an internationally recognised qualification!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
KythingToWrite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, AQA doesn't do IGCSE, only Edexcel and CIE do it (Last I checked, at least). I do CIE IGCSEs. The set texts differ according to the year of examination, but the general rule is that the coursework option isn't compulsory, making it perfect for Private Candidates, it's more of an understanding approach, which is great for students (Like me) who've come from a completely different syllabus, and it's got a wider range of texts.
I had a choice between British, American, Indian and Nigerian authors for my prose set text! The variety is, I think, the best thing about it. The questions are very similar to GCSE lit, but the marking is said to be different—not too sure about that.
Anyways, you won't be harmed by doing it. It's the same level as a GCSE; it's gaining a lot more recognition thanks to the recent GCSE/O Levels debate, and it's easily accepted internationally—US, India, South Africa, etc.
And around here, just the header Cambridge International Examinations makes people surprised! I'd say it's a wonderful qualification, and it can only advantage you.
When will you take the IGCSEs? I'm doing them in May/June 2014.
GreenLantern1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What really is the 'iGSCE'

The iGSCE is really the iGCSE in disguise!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads