Turn on thread page Beta

which do you think is the most difficult science at A-level? watch

ReputationRep:
    For my A-levels I picked, Physics,Biology,Chemistry and Maths with Machanics.
    I wish I never picked so many difficult subjects but at the time I picked them they were right, I choose Physics and maths because i wanted to be an airline pilot but now i've sort of changed my mind and I choose Chemistry because I was thinking about doing medicine and now I know that is what i want to do rather than become a pilot. And lastly I choose biology out of interest which should help my future career in medicine if I survive my a-levels with 2As and 1B or 1A and 2Bs.

Now people may ask why I picked 4?! it is because the college I go to "kgv" says we have to pick 4 AS before dropping one at the end of the year and have 3A2s.

im in my first year at the moment and i've decided i will definately choose to drop maths as that is the subject that I think will be impossible for me to a B or A in.

But Im really not sure about physics either now, its confusing and hard compared to Biology and Chemistry and Im not very confident that I can get an A in that, at the moment I've thinking B/C but I will try to get the B. How hard does it get in A2?? or does it just stay at the same level of difficulty as AS? :confused:

well thanks for listening to my rant, any comments would be appreciated thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    I wish I never picked so many difficult subjects but at the time I picked them they were right, I choose Physics and maths because i wanted to be an airline pilot but now i've sort of changed my mind and I choose Chemistry because I was thinking about doing medicine and now I know that is what i want to do rather than become a pilot. And lastly I choose biology out of interest which should help my future career in medicine if I survive my a-levels with 2As and 1B or 1A and 2Bs.

Now people may ask why I picked 4?! it is because the college I go to "kgv" says we have to pick 4 AS before dropping one at the end of the year and have 3A2s.

im in my first year at the moment and i've decided i will definately choose to drop maths as that is the subject that I think will be impossible for me to a B or A in.

But Im really not sure about physics either now, its confusing and hard compared to Biology and Chemistry and Im not very confident that I can get an A in that, at the moment I've thinking B/C but I will try to get the B. How hard does it get in A2?? or does it just stay at the same level of difficulty as AS? :confused:

I have nothing constructive to say, just that you're mad! I couldnt think of doing anything worse. But then again i'm much more of an arts person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    Now people may ask why I picked 4?!
    Not really, most people do 4 AS subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 4 AS's, I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Art. I wish I hadn't chosen so many tough ones. Generally they say science subjects are harder than any other subject any way, but basically its down to your own standards and preferences, you may find physics harder than biology and chemistry, where as I find chemistry extremely hard, and would probably be better with physics. But theres no rush, if you're going into either medicine or piloting, I'd say biology, if its only to support your chemical medicinal career then its not as important as the other two and buys you more time to decide.

In answer to the thread question, I will personally guarantee you that Electronics is by far the most difficult science at A2 level (Chemistry is supposed to be harder at AS)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Its good to hear that electronics is harder lol and that chemistry isnt as tough in A2 thanks.
    yea in high school i found english harder than sciences so I would find english the hardest rather a science. People should say science is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)

I'm really worried now, I'm starting all those subjects apart from physics this year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chem and Phil AS. Chemistry is definitely harder than the rest of it put together.

ReputationRep:
    I think that Biology is the hardest A-level. Never found any subject so difficult in my life. Nothing seems to stay in my mind, there is so much frigging information. Now we are doing microbiology for our option module, are there are so many little processes we have to remember etc. It is pure evil. Chemistry and Physics seem easy compared to it, and we are doing the General Theory of Relativity in Physics atm. That is how hard i find Biology!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I think that Biology is the hardest A-level. Never found any subject so difficult in my life. Nothing seems to stay in my mind, there is so much frigging information. Now we are doing microbiology for our option module, are there are so many little processes we have to remember etc. It is pure evil. Chemistry and Physics seem easy compared to it, and we are doing the General Theory of Relativity in Physics atm. That is how hard i find Biology!!
    Urgh, I hate Microbiology. Okay, so enzymes are essential for life processes but doesn't mean I have to like the little sods :mad:

Out of the AS Levels I took, Maths had to be the WORST decision of my life. I got an A at GCSE but at AS-Level it turned into a nightmare - every homework took at least an hour and a half, and I used to spend the majority of the lesson with my hand up in the air asking for help. My fellow students adored me because the teacher used to waste whole lessons going through things on the board trying to make me understand. *shudder* In spite of that I managed to muddle my way through the AS-Level and get a high C overall. I retook P2 in January to try and get an extra 6 marks so I can get a B. 6 poxy marks is all I need and because I retook M1 in June last year there's only P1 left for me to retake if I don't get it this time :rolleyes: Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    I did those four AS-levels for about five months, then I decided to do pure maths instead of mechanics! I'm the only one doing my specific combination (the hardest) in my year. The sciences with maths is seen as the hardest and most respectable array of subjects - just see the reaction on people's faces when you tell them what you do!

The workload for me is however much I want to do - although I regularly get homework I only do it if I want to do it. This is the wrong attitude I know, but I do this because I don't get reprimanded and at the end of the day I know I'll get the grades.

Be a man and do them all. Don't have the 'drop it after AS' attitude - if you're going to start them you might as well go all the way and finish them properly.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    because I retook M1 in June last year there's only P1 left for me to retake if I don't get it this time :rolleyes: Fingers crossed!
    just a note: ive been told by my english + maths teachers that the rules have been changed this year so that you can resit as many units as you want as many times as you want. not sure if this is just my exam boards (AQA + WJEC) but you might want to ask someone at school if you just miss those 6 pesky marks, which im sure you wont!

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    People undermine Biology - classing it as the easier of the sciences but it is quite difficult

you have to like it to want to do it.... if you just want to take chemistry, etc just to get into a medical programme then thats the wrong way to go about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonnaB041986)
    just a note: ive been told by my english + maths teachers that the rules have been changed this year so that you can resit as many units as you want as many times as you want. not sure if this is just my exam boards (AQA + WJEC) but you might want to ask someone at school if you just miss those 6 pesky marks, which im sure you wont!

Donna
    -x-
    *wails* No fair, my sodding exam board for Maths is OCR so not happening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa)
    you have to like it to want to do it.... if you just want to take chemistry, etc just to get into a medical programme then thats the wrong way to go about it
    True, if you don't enjoy the sciences then clearly medicine wouldn't be a good option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    *wails* No fair, my sodding exam board for Maths is OCR so not happening!
    I think it is dictated by teh QCA and applies across teh boards. though only starting this year though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I think it is dictated by teh QCA and applies across teh boards. though only starting this year though.
    Yes I heard that to, unlimited resits.

However, the top, top uni's would look at this though.

ReputationRep:
    chem is easy physics is slightly harder
    science is easy to me, english and stuff like that is hard

it totally depends on the person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes I heard that to, unlimited resits.

However, the top, top uni's would look at this though.
    I've heard that if you resit, the universities won't know about it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.