Turn on thread page Beta

which do you think is the most difficult science at A-level? watch

ReputationRep:
    what does resist mean?

ReputationRep:
    I do maths, phys, chem, and bio, biology is really boringly easy, physics is probably hardest, although i dont find any of them over difficult as lots of people say they are

ReputationRep:
    The sciences I do are Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I'm doing A2s now and Maths is OK (although I've been told P3 is gonna be very hard), Physics is horrible (at AS it was like my reliable subject I'd do well at), and Chemistry...well...
    Last year it was a struggle, a lot of hard work but the exam papers were pretty good so in that sense it was an OK subject.
    This year, module 4 was a horrible bulky incomprehensible pile of solid methane, but with LOADS of hard work and another OK exam paper I think I did OK. This new module of Chemistry is alright, but the big problem with Physics and Chem, and I think also Bio, is the synoptic exam at the end that requires knowledge of the entire course material.

All of this actually depends on what exam board your college uses.

I'm told Biology is quite hard, but not as hard as Chemistry. I didn't like it at GCSE. I got an A but didn't really want to carry it on.

ReputationRep:
    P3 isn't hard as such, but theres so much to write so time is actually the enemy.

ReputationRep:
    It's easier to say which science is the easiest.. I would certainly say maths.
    Chemistry requires a great amount of memory to record all those enzymes, catalysts and temperatures.
    Biology is basically analysis(p.s.You learn all that detail and theory throughout the year to only see that most of the exam questions are analysis of graphs and commenting on very peculiar biological things you can't even imagine)Microbiology seriously sucks as all this fermentation and downstreaming processes never seem to end...
    And finally the most beautiful and ugliest of all is physics, that at As is all kind and nice ,gives good A's, then comes A2 and you fall flat on your face.Module four is a very weird combination of fields waves and whatever they could find to fit. The astronomy unit is well, interesting though useless for someone wanting to do medicine or pharmacy!!
    At the end of the day , knowledge is power

ReputationRep:
    I don't think maths is a science....

I have to choose a science for A-Level next year and I can't make up my mind

I wanna do biology, I find it an easy subject but as AL is quite high standard it might be hard...I'm not doing chemistry, its not my kind of subject...I've been suggested to do physics although i hate them...
    For me, the easiest would be bio

ReputationRep:
    Zazy, you sound like someone who is doing OCR Bio and Physics. I am also doing Microbiology and Cosmology. Love Cosmology, HATE microbiology. We're doing the general theory of relativity at the moment and i think it is great. The best physics in the world is theoretical physics! The less maths the better!

The Unifying concept papers are gunna be so tough, my brain hurts just thinking about it. Ugh, don't want to do those!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonance)
    I'm told Biology is quite hard, but not as hard as Chemistry. I didn't like it at GCSE. I got an A but didn't really want to carry it on.
    I didn't like Biology GCSE. I liked the teacher, but I (stupidly) had a go at her after the GCSE exam.

I picked up Biology AS-level halfway into the term mainly because it complemented my other subjects - I didn't like the subject. One thing that kept me on was the fact that I had the same teacher again. She felt that I should stay on for the A2. I heeded to this advice.

Although I don't have her anymore and still don't like the subject, I like the fact that I'm doing biology because I should get an A grade without much work.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I'm doing biology because I should get an A grade without much work.

J.
    Some people are so lucky. Biology is my hardest subject. I never was much of a science person anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is my favourite subject, and it is easy to!

Maths is good as well, although a bit more testing than Physics I would say, although straightforeward at AS nevertheless.

I heard Chemistry was the hardest A-Level, although Universities say Maths and Physics are the hardest, which suits me fine!

ReputationRep:
    Biology, no question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Biology, no question.
    It used to be mine. Now it's English Literature, what a change.

ReputationRep:
    I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths (Pure and Mechanics) this year... having dropped Economics at the end of AS...

Last year I didn't find any of the 3 which I do at A2 that challenging.. this year Biology is just a load more facts that you need to know heavily linked back to AS topics. But I find Chemistry the most challenging this year, by far.. very much more complicated with Electrode Potentials, Transition Metals and other crap and learning all those stooooopid colours and 26 organic reactions!! aaaaargh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths (Pure and Mechanics) this year... having dropped Economics at the end of AS...

Last year I didn't find any of the 3 which I do at A2 that challenging.. this year Biology is just a load more facts that you need to know heavily linked back to AS topics. But I find Chemistry the most challenging this year, by far.. very much more complicated with Electrode Potentials, Transition Metals and other crap and learning all those stooooopid colours and 26 organic reactions!! aaaaargh!
    but i would have thought Biology would be harder. I do AS Chem and all you have to remember for the exam is a bunch of definations and forumas. For Biology, don't you have to know the pieces of the Human Heart etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Zazy, you sound like someone who is doing OCR Bio and Physics. I am also doing Microbiology and Cosmology. Love Cosmology, HATE microbiology. We're doing the general theory of relativity at the moment and i think it is great. The best physics in the world is theoretical physics! The less maths the better!

The Unifying concept papers are gunna be so tough, my brain hurts just thinking about it. Ugh, don't want to do those!
    I'm doing AQa specification B biology and AQA specification A physics...

ReputationRep:
    Really, wow! Sounded like you were doing the same OCR modules as me! Guess the exam boards really are pretty similar then!!

ReputationRep:
    Bio is hardest - no doubt! Theres so much rediculous stuff to learn! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If it's any help, people I know still doing physics say it got easier at A2. Maybe they just got used to it... I'm not sure.

I did biology, chemistry, psychology and physics at AS. Got AAA and D in physics. To be fair though, both my phsics teachers were diseased and rarely in school. I resat all of it in January and got up to a C, few marks off a B.

I'd say biology is worst as far as sheer volume of crap to memorise goes.

ReputationRep:
    Physics definately. I can cope with most equations, but theories occasionally stump me in the exam (I was so lucky that two of the essay questions this year were on wave-partical duallity - which I love). Plus, I always have a habit of working out in the wrong units - or not converting them.

Chemistry used to be hard, but I think I just got used to it. I think it was quite a step-up from GCSE.

I think biology isn't that hard (well, for me), since it's basically learning information and writing it in the exam, rather than learning applying it to new situations.

[Commenting from AS perspective, It will probably all change at A2 - which I started today - and biology is far more complex than AS]

ReputationRep:
    i did chem, bio, maths, economics and further maths to a level (except further maths which was a/s)
    i think if ur goin for medicine u really need chemistry (and bio is good too as it seems to be the more relevant of all the sciences for med school). i found a/s was ok - especially chem, bio and eco as long as u study for it. what i found really hard was the beginning of y 13 with all 5 subjects AND applications to uni going on all together. remember if ur taking medicine u also need to work on interviews etc. having said that tho, i completed both the maths in january so that made my life much easier for the second part of y13.
    i dont think u can say which science is the hardest - it all depends on which u like and how u are suited to learn. i find bio the easiest coz im good at remembering all those details (and now i've probably cursed myself and wont get that a :rolleyes:
    also working hard throughout the year pays off sooo much when it comes to the exam rahter than slacking off and finding heaps to do the night before.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.