Turn on thread page Beta

which do you think is the most difficult science at A-level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd say Chemistry is the hardest at A2 (I do maths, physics, chemistry A2). Also P4 P5 (which I'm doing for AS further maths) can be nasty.

It's down to personal taste and what you're good at in the first place. Having good teachers helps too.

ReputationRep:
    there are times when you forget that you are choosing subjects that you enjoy because we're always baffled by what the university wants from us etc.
    just don't forget sometimes you only have 4 A-levels, and from so may to choose from, pick them so they satisfy both you and prospective unis. at the end of the day, you are doing the A levels yourself, and hey you are doing the work, so why let obligations hinder your learning?

i'm now sitting exams for bio/chem/maths/music. i do 4 A-levels, with music on the side dish.

i have never found biology hard - the things you need to learn for biology may seem a lot, but you have to realise that they're all cunningly linked together, and one can really rattle it down to a good set of concise notes.

chemistry has always been a case of logic, so as long as you get the concepts, everything else in chemistry follows that pattern and its great!

maths. i did 3 mods, each from Pure and Stats strand. pure is GOOD, and i say take stats - method marks get you points. i hear mechanics can be difficult, so i suggest you only take it if you like the nature of the modules.

i don't know much about physics, in fact i probably cringe at the subject - my sister loves it and never thought it was hard. so i suppose its a matter of opinions at the end of the day. you know when you "click" with a subject? i suppose thats why you find it friendly.

sorry for it being so long. but i strongly suggest you to really build good grounds from your subjects from AS year - i love my sciences, my maths and my music so my passion (!) kinda helped me enjoy the next year even more, or even find the A2 even more relaxing and interesting. a lot of people around me reckoned that the gap between these two years are significant and everythign as a trifle harder. as arrogant as i sound never thought it was so different.

at the end of the day, if you anticipate somethign being difficult, you'll always find it difficult because your frame of mind isn't welcoming the subject i hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the hardest
    biology is mainly alot of learning
    and physics is alot of understanding

maybe imbeing biased but chemistry is the hardest!

ReputationRep:
    From my experience:

Chemistry is by far the easiest;

Physics is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    i did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music for AS and couldnt decide which to drop so i didnt bother! am still doing all 4 and dont really regret it (apart from my hideous exam timetable, but that cant be helped). I would say chemistry is the hardest - probably because you just have to believe everything they tell you - at least in biology most of the time you can see what you are learning about (under a microscope or from a diagram normally). If i had dropped an AS it would probably have been music - i want to study medicine at uni and this was the least related one. having said that i'm actually quite glad i carried on with it - it gives me a nice break from my academic stuff, and i'm completely crap at the written paper - just bump my marks up with performance (which i do anyway) and composition (which is great fun). So generally i would say Chemistry is the hardest, biology most enjoyable, maths is like a hobby (as is music).

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, no boubt about it

ReputationRep:
    chemistry i so much learning... its hard to grasp and once you do get it, you still have shitloads to learn. whereas physics is hard to grasp but once u get it theres really hardly anything to learn.
    Biology is just biology, there are no hard concepts really, theres alot to knw but u pick it up as u go along. Biology is veyr much down to what the mark scheme says, its often quite ambiguous!

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry, physics, biology and pure maths.

In my opinion, biology is definitely the easiest. It merely involves soaking up facts like a sponge. Although I didn't like GCSE biology and didn't want to do it at AS-level, I did it anyway. This was one of the best academic decisions I have made.

Physics syllabuses nowadays focus more on understanding rather than raw number crunching. As long as you understand the formulae and the principles, it is fine. The exams are generally friendly. Physics isn't that hard.

Chemistry is a hardcore subject. Although there is a lot of content, it is actually a subject of rules and patterns. The syllabus is very linear, so you must know the stuff you've already learned. The subject is harder than the previous two, but the exams are rather repetitive. Good exam technique plays a vital role.

Pure maths is very hard. Although it is extremely challenging, it is rewarding. Initially I did pure and mechanics, but I took the opportunity to move into the elite pure class. Maths is certainly linear. Principles and rules may appear clear-cut, but the acid test is doing questions. One has to do questions and more questions.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.