g12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of doing Economics at Lancaster, has anyone done this degree? It's just I've been told not to trust subject leaguetables that much as they can fluctuate alot, so I'm trying to find some personal experiences.

Thanks.
g12345
Rep:
?
Is it possible to move this to the Economics section to get some replies? Thanks
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I honestly don't know a huge amount about economics specifically from personal experience. It is taught in the management school, though, which is well respected and everyone I know says that the management school classes they have done have been very good. Sorry I can't be more helpful XD

And I wouldn't trust the league tables as the be all and end all, but it is worth noting they are a good indication of roughly how good a course is at a university.
krewetka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is there anything paricular that you want to know? I'm doing econ at Lancs.

It is hard to say if it is "good", because I never experienced any other university, so I can't really compare it.

The courses are not too easy, but they are not impossibly hard either. Tbh, I think that they could push us a bit harder, but maybe they will in 2nd year.
In your 1st year you will have 2 obligatory modules: "Maths for econ" and "Principles of econ". Another module you choose on your own and it won't be an Economics one.

There is also a study abroad possibilty for Economics students at Lancaster.
g12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by krewetka)
Is there anything paricular that you want to know? I'm doing econ at Lancs.

It is hard to say if it is "good", because I never experienced any other university, so I can't really compare it.

The courses are not too easy, but they are not impossibly hard either. Tbh, I think that they could push us a bit harder, but maybe they will in 2nd year.
In your 1st year you will have 2 obligatory modules: "Maths for econ" and "Principles of econ". Another module you choose on your own and it won't be an Economics one.

There is also a study abroad possibilty for Economics students at Lancaster.
Hi, What grades did you get to get in and what were the requirments to get in at the time?

Also, what A2s did you take? Cheers for the feedback
g12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by bownessie)
I honestly don't know a huge amount about economics specifically from personal experience. It is taught in the management school, though, which is well respected and everyone I know says that the management school classes they have done have been very good. Sorry I can't be more helpful XD

And I wouldn't trust the league tables as the be all and end all, but it is worth noting they are a good indication of roughly how good a course is at a university.
Cheers for the info
krewetka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I'm not English, so I didn't take A-Levels, but last years requirements were AAB for Economics and AAA for Economics with study abroad. I took Advanced Geography, Advanced Maths and Advanced English on my highschool exit exam.
BJP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

I had a very positive experience doing finance & economics. Very easy to get a graduate job etc.

You will enjoy it
g12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by BJP)
Yes.

I had a very positive experience doing finance & economics. Very easy to get a graduate job etc.

You will enjoy it
Thanks a lot for the info. How flexible do you think Lancaster are? Say if I got ABB instead of AAB?

Oh, sorry, one last thing. If you don't mind saying, what was the job you got at the end? Thanks again.

Btw, I didn't mean to give you negative rep, I clicked it by accident!
BJP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by g12345)
Thanks a lot for the info. How flexible do you think Lancaster are? Say if I got ABB instead of AAB?

Oh, sorry, one last thing. If you don't mind saying, what was the job you got at the end? Thanks again.

Btw, I didn't mean to give you negative rep, I clicked it by accident!
That's how I got onto my course. I 'needed' AAB but only got ABB.

I got offers from Lloyds Banking Group, JP Morgan and Network Rail. I went with LBG in the end.

No worries.
Superdan90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lancaster has a good reputation for Economics, and from my experience, they do demand you to work quite hard on Economics, it's not something you can study lightly and get a good grade in.
But maybe I just sucked at Econ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads