LightElf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, I'm an incoming D.Phil student at Oxford and have a question regarding academic dress.

I've heard of the Oxford graduate gown - which is basically the same as the undergrad one just longer - but what is the scholars gown??

I know thats for those who hold scholarships...but I have a scholarship awarded from the Wellcome Trust funding my entire D.Phil...does that make me a scholar or just a regular student?

And for the white shirt to go with the "sub fusc," can I have cufflinks with it or is that not allowed?

And a completely unrelated question: if you hold a scholarship (not necessarily directly from Oxford as in my case) can you still call yourself a scholar in Oxford? eg. in departmental email signatures.

Thanks!
Lucius
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As I understand it, scholars gowns are for undergraduates only. "A scholar's gown is worn by any undergraduate who has been awarded a scholarship by an Oxford college. Some colleges give special permission to exhibitioners also to wear this gown."

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk...ent_Gowns.html (for example).

As such, while you are no doubt a scholar of the Wellcome Trust, I don't think you are an 'Oxford scholar'. I doubt that anything stops you from referring to yourself as the former.

Cufflinks are no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads