pipling
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Please help me!!!

For my 5 uni options im thinking of putting 3 safer options along with 2 slightly better ones. Im currently deciding between Edinburgh, Durham, Newcastle and York, and I know that they're all really picky.

Could anyone who knows about any of these unis (or their english courses) please give me some positives/negatives to help me make up my mind? Some applicantslaces stats would also be great if at all possible.

Flip1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All those unis are good; it's up to you really as I don't know anything in particular about their English courses :P.
charliemac41
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Edinburgh are particularly picky about GCSE's, and i would say Durham has the best rep as an overall uni out of those few. Edinburgh also has fairly low student satisfaction rate. I don't really know much about the English courses specifically, but all of those unis are great. I would suggest visiting them all, as it is hard for someone who doesn't know you to tell you pros/cons, because a pro for one person is a con for another. E.G I love the traditional unis, but for others it is intimidating and they prefer modern unis.
pipling
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm exactly the same - the more traditional the better! Why is the Edinburgh student satisfaction rate so bad? I think it seems quite classy.
Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Edinburgh, Durham and York are all rated higher than Newcastle so I'd pick from those three.

Durham is probably the most competitive of all three but is very good, Edinburgh is also very picky but I've also heard some poor stories about student satisfaction.

I'd pick Durham and York, they're in very similar parts of the world and are both very good for English and have more in common course wise than say Durham and Edinburgh.
charliemac41
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pipling)
I'm exactly the same - the more traditional the better! Why is the Edinburgh student satisfaction rate so bad? I think it seems quite classy.
I don't really know to be honest, and it seems great to me too, the only reason im not applying there is because their degrees take 4 years which is a bit annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads