Zainidino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys,

What is the impact of immigration on UK economy? I have a presentation to give on this topic. Cheers.
pr0view
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Increased unemployment.

More profit for large companies that can exploit migrant workers.

Possibly cheaper services, such as trades e.g. Poles are notable for undercutting British tradesman.
ilovecatsforlife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good - increased efficiency - lower Unit Labour Costs due to increased productivity. Also more competition in the labour market. It can drive down wages and this can be passed onto consumers in the form of lower prices.

Bad - unemployment may increase for the native population due to them having lower productivity/requiring higher wages than immigrants - migrants often send money back home and live very basic lifestyles in their adopted countries, especially those in menial jobs.

There could also be a strain on public services. Migrants may put pressures on housing, education, health and transport systems. This can cause tension between socio-economic groups, especially with the working class.
Zainidino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
cheers guys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (112)
17.75%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.26%
Not great so far... (225)
35.66%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.33%

Watched Threads