Taking a permanent job, but going to uni in September? Watch

RoryF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The title says it all really!

I applied for this (permanent) job back in May and was interviewed (finally) today, over two months later. I'm going to university in September. If I get offered it, I'd only be able to do it for one month, but I would really like to do it!

What do I do? I feel like I'd be being a massive let down, but didn't really know any of this would happen when I applied. Part of me thinks I'll have done nothing wrong. They've asked me nothing of my future plans so I didn't say anything.

Thanks

Rory
jellybean_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
May i ask where this job is or what the job is? :awesome:
SarrBar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can relate. I've applied to jobs ages ago that are only just getting round to interviewing now, so i just didn't bother to do the interview.

It'd kill me to have to leave a job after one month, after trying so long to get a job. So i'd rather just not do it. I've switched to looking for part-time only. The 'summer job' plan is now a write-off.

I wish employers wouldn't be so slow during the hiring process.
mathsclown
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In same boat, have the interview tomorrow, I will go to it but not sure if I will actually take it up :/
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RoryF)
The title says it all really!

I applied for this (permanent) job back in May and was interviewed (finally) today, over two months later. I'm going to university in September. If I get offered it, I'd only be able to do it for one month, but I would really like to do it!

What do I do? I feel like I'd be being a massive let down, but didn't really know any of this would happen when I applied. Part of me thinks I'll have done nothing wrong. They've asked me nothing of my future plans so I didn't say anything.

Thanks

Rory
You'd have to give at least two weeks notice, wouldn't you? So you'd effectively be handing in your notice as soon as you start. I don't think they would take too kindly to that, and it hardly looks good to future employers.

If i were you, go to the interview for the experience. Then just say you've taken another job offer.
laura1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you get the job just read over the contract really carefully, make sure it doesn't say anything about minimum working time etc and how much notice you have to give. Is it full or part time? When it comes to September you could always say you applied to a uni close to home so thought you could keep the job on but then changed your mind on what uni you want to go to?
onda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am curious to what job it could be. Haha. 2 months is awfully long
megan.c
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some jobs have so many applicants it can take them that long to look through them all :/

It's going to reflect really badly on you if you have to give in your notice straight away, is it possible that there is a branch close to your uni you could transfer to if they liked you enough?
RoryF
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by jellybean_)
May i ask where this job is or what the job is? :awesome:

(Original post by onda)
I am curious to what job it could be. Haha. 2 months is awfully long

It's a bull semen lab analyst.
mathsclown
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Didn't get the job, think it's because I mentioned university :O lol
bhurruts
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe you should just tell your employer? I told mine from the beginning and she was fine with it, and happy because she then had a long time to find someone to replace me. Just explain that when you applied, it was a while ago so it made more sense back then.But if it is a problem for them, THEN say never mind. But if not, then it would be a great opportunity to earn some money before you start uni.
Palatial Veranda
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it's with a large organisation like Boots, McDonalds etc then I don't see why shouldn't take it. Tough, they'll just have to find someone else when you leave.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed