Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Sorry if this have been dealt with loads of times before but looking for some advice.

I am doing a chemistry degree and after reading article comments on the BBC News I am slightly worried.

Are chemistry graduates in demand?
What type of job can Chem Graduates go into?
Is it easy to find employment?

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Charzhino
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kjglen24)
Sorry if this have been dealt with loads of times before but looking for some advice.

I am doing a chemistry degree and after reading article comments on the BBC News I am slightly worried.

Are chemistry graduates in demand?
What type of job can Chem Graduates go into?
Is it easy to find employment?

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Link for the BBC article?

Anyway chemists are generally speaking, on the decline in terms of need however that doesn't mean there are not jobs in chemistry for you to go for. If applying to graduate schemes, then there are many which focus on chemistry specifically such as Shell, Astrazeneca, akzonobel, GSK, British Sugar, etc.
If you are looking for graduate jobs and not schemes then it depends where you live. The north west and south east are the regions with the most chemical industrial locations in the UK.

You can get into areas such as technical services, laboratory technician, research technician/assistant, process chemist, new product development chemist, analytical chemist, Quality control and so on. I have to say try to avoid QC and general lab technician roles because they pay very little and are more boring than the other types but thats just my opinion.

Chemistry graduates are also required by companies who do stuff like water treatments, food technology, oil and gas and the energy sector although in each of these you probably wont be doing traditional lab chemistry.

Of course if you do not want to get into science at all, then areas such as accountancy are ideal as chemistry is a very numerate subject. Plenty of my friends have gone into companies such as Deloitte and KPMG who did chemistry degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.54%
No (289)
75.46%

Watched Threads