ebc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I want to study Geology at university, however I have no prior experience in the subject. My A Levels are Chemistry, Biology, Geography and German, so I am also slightly worried that I haven't done Maths or Physics (although I got an A* at GCSE).

I am currently trying to write my personal statement but I don't think that I have much to talk about which is related to Geology. Is there any reading/work experience that you would recommend? Or anything else that would look good?

Also, next year I have the opportunity to complete an EPQ which I will relate to Geology (this will give me something to talk about) but I am unsure of an exact title. I was thinking of something along the lines of 'How far does geological evidence support hypotheses concerning the causes of the Permian-Triassic mass extinction?' or looking at if the Earth is currently undergoing a sixth mass extinction. However I am unsure of how suitable these ideas are. Does anyone have any ideas on potential titles/questions?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
ihateocr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ebc)
Hi,

I want to study Geology at university, however I have no prior experience in the subject. My A Levels are Chemistry, Biology, Geography and German, so I am also slightly worried that I haven't done Maths or Physics (although I got an A* at GCSE).

I am currently trying to write my personal statement but I don't think that I have much to talk about which is related to Geology. Is there any reading/work experience that you would recommend? Or anything else that would look good?

Also, next year I have the opportunity to complete an EPQ which I will relate to Geology (this will give me something to talk about) but I am unsure of an exact title. I was thinking of something along the lines of 'How far does geological evidence support hypotheses concerning the causes of the Permian-Triassic mass extinction?' or looking at if the Earth is currently undergoing a sixth mass extinction. However I am unsure of how suitable these ideas are. Does anyone have any ideas on potential titles/questions?

I wouldn't worry about you seeming "unprepared", I've had no experience with Geology before and i've just about managed to get into university and my A levels are: Geography, History and Business Studies
My choices have been quite limited admitedly, but my grades met my firm choice so it's of little relevance now.
Cardiff for example require you to have only A level Geography...
rosiesaurus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ebc)
Hi,

Have you been to open days? I havn't studied chemistry higher than GCSE, and was worried about applying for Geology without it, so I asked at the open day and the guy told me it was fine, they have remedial lessons...so either ask about maths then, or email the department with your question. Unless you are interested in geophysics, I don't think the maths would be a problem, especially as you have 3 science subjects.

The EPQ ideas sound a loooot better thought out than mine! I read half a book about the end Permian mass extinction, 'when life nearly died' by michael j benton, might give you some grounding.
Where are you applying?
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Geography is enough imo. I did grophysics at uni and many people i know at u l did geology with totally random subjects! Many didnt even have maths! I say you shouldnt worry and just say stuff like how u liked learning about plate tectonics or weather or something in your geog alevel and blag why u'd like to do uni geology. You'll be fine . Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ebc
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone!

(Original post by rosiesaurus)
Have you been to open days? I havn't studied chemistry higher than GCSE, and was worried about applying for Geology without it, so I asked at the open day and the guy told me it was fine, they have remedial lessons...so either ask about maths then, or email the department with your question. Unless you are interested in geophysics, I don't think the maths would be a problem, especially as you have 3 science subjects.

The EPQ ideas sound a loooot better thought out than mine! I read half a book about the end Permian mass extinction, 'when life nearly died' by michael j benton, might give you some grounding.
Where are you applying?
Yeah I have recently been to open days and they said not having maths wasn't a problem! so that was a bit of a relief nope not really interesting in geophysics just straight geology

ooh thanks just googled the book and it sounds great! what's your epq on? I haven't done much for mine yet - my supervisor asked me to research titles over the summer and email her which I did (after deciding on the end Permian mass extinction) to check it was ok - but she hasn't replied so I haven't done much research in case it wasn't suitable! does it sound ok for an epq?

I've looked at durham, imperial, ucl, southampton, royal holloway and bristol - you? not sure which 5 though - or to look for one with lower entry requirements as the lowest of those is ABB and they are all pretty good unis where are you looking?
rosiesaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ebc)
Thanks everyone!

Yeah I have recently been to open days and they said not having maths wasn't a problem! so that was a bit of a relief nope not really interesting in geophysics just straight geology

ooh thanks just googled the book and it sounds great! what's your epq on? I haven't done much for mine yet - my supervisor asked me to research titles over the summer and email her which I did (after deciding on the end Permian mass extinction) to check it was ok - but she hasn't replied so I haven't done much research in case it wasn't suitable! does it sound ok for an epq?

I've looked at durham, imperial, ucl, southampton, royal holloway and bristol - you? not sure which 5 though - or to look for one with lower entry requirements as the lowest of those is ABB and they are all pretty good unis where are you looking?
I'm hoping to do something about renewable energy/ to what extent can global energy use change ...something along those lines, so I have a book about 'Gaia's Revenge' and 'Green gone wrong', which will hopefully give me some more info.
I'm looking to do a mix of geog/geol, so I'm applying for Oxford, Bristol, Leicester and Southampton
ebc
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosiesaurus)
I'm hoping to do something about renewable energy/ to what extent can global energy use change ...something along those lines, so I have a book about 'Gaia's Revenge' and 'Green gone wrong', which will hopefully give me some more info.
I'm looking to do a mix of geog/geol, so I'm applying for Oxford, Bristol, Leicester and Southampton
That sounds good! And its quite a 'hot' topic at the moment!

I didn't do A Level maths so Oxford was out the window for me good luck!
rosiesaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ebc)
That sounds good! And its quite a 'hot' topic at the moment!

I didn't do A Level maths so Oxford was out the window for me good luck!
To do Earth Science, they want either Physics or Chemistry A2, but then again I don't know if you can do them without maths...
I thought Oxfords course was a little too sciency for me, as they are unlikely to provide catchup chemistry, I'm applying for Geog there instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads

Latest