Bobsyourteapots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I work full time and love my sleep more than anything. But lately I have been getting more and more irritated by my neighbours.
Every weekend for the past 3 months they have lived here they have let their children play in the garden at ridiculously early times and waking me up when I try to sleep in on the weekends.
Today they let their noisy 3 under 7 children out to play in the garden at 6:45 this morning. In all fairness, my alarm was set for 7 but I don't appreciate being woken up by a child screaming and another singing usher. This has been the situation for far too long and I'm fed up of it. I spoke to the mother this morning politely and explained I work full time and they are noisy when they play, and she started shouting and slammed the door on me.
I'm very tempted to call the council tomorrow and to file a complaint but I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if anyone else has some suggestions?
Cephalus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No its not overreacting. Its quite justified. The hours at which the children are allowed out are anti-social.
NightStrider
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you are - erm - close your windows?
Intriguing Alias
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.nfh.org.uk/resources/Arti...e_part_two.php
I have a question
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He who feels it knows it, so only you can judge whether you're overreacting or not.
If it is really bothering you, I would speak to your neighbours first then proceed to speak to the council.
Alkain1607
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
6:45! No way are you over-reacting. File a complaint.
crocker710
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobsyourteapots)
I work full time and love my sleep more than anything. But lately I have been getting more and more irritated by my neighbours.
Every weekend for the past 3 months they have lived here they have let their children play in the garden at ridiculously early times and waking me up when I try to sleep in on the weekends.
Today they let their noisy 3 under 7 children out to play in the garden at 6:45 this morning. In all fairness, my alarm was set for 7 but I don't appreciate being woken up by a child screaming and another singing usher. This has been the situation for far too long and I'm fed up of it. I spoke to the mother this morning politely and explained I work full time and they are noisy when they play, and she started shouting and slammed the door on me.
I'm very tempted to call the council tomorrow and to file a complaint but I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if anyone else has some suggestions?
I think there's a period of the day considered 'unsociable hours' where nose pollution would be considered excessive where normally would be acceptable. It might not be what you want to hear but I think it ends at 6AM.
pinkangelgirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
haha i have the same problem with my nephews i dont even live in the house in fact i live about 20m from the house and i always hear them playing and screaming in the morning.

As adorable as they are, its annoying lol
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think noise at 0645 is unreasonable...
Ice Constricter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get an injunction for this private nuisance.
Happy-Turtle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by crocker710)
I think there's a period of the day considered 'unsociable hours' where nose pollution would be considered excessive where normally would be acceptable. It might not be what you want to hear but I think it ends at 6AM.
hi are you a male version of betty crocker? :daydreaming:

edit: i hate you tom, go eat a strawberry
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if i were you i would report the noise just because of the way their ***** mum reacted! What an utter cow!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Formerly Helpful_C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, let's ban exercise!

Seriously? Get over it.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes I think you are being unreasonable

I also really doubt the council would do anything, its children playing in the garden in the morning not someone having loud parties every night,(or other comparable act).
soxygirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not over-reacting, we have a neighbour whose child insists on kicking a football against our shared fence from 8am onwards all day and it's really annoying so I can only imagine what 6:45 feels like.
Technically you have a right to file a complaint:
"The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 amended the Noise Act 1996 and enables local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time noise emitted from dwellings and gardens between the hours of 11.00 pm and 7.00 am." http://www.environmental-protection....ise-pollution/
But I personally would try talking to your neighbour again, warn her that you have a right to complain and that even waiting that 15 minutes until 7am would be a reasonable solution because any complaint *successful or otherwise* will have a lasting strain on whatever relationship you currently hold and things could get very nasty (though I'm guesssing from her rather ignorant reaction things are already pretty bad.)
Cephalus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
honestly I think you should buy a BB gun
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think you're overreacting. It is a silly time of the morning to be playing outside. Just as bad as the neighbour of mine (who is in her 30s or something) who screams at 11pm at night. :mad:
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
I don't think you're overreacting. It is a silly time of the morning to be playing outside. Just as bad as the neighbour of mine (who is in her 30s or something) who screams at 11pm at night. :mad:
yet your not talking about phoning the council on her..
and 11pm is actually night 6:45 is morning,daytime
Wurzel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 amended the Noise Act 1996 and enables local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time noise emitted from dwellings and gardens between the hours of 11.00 pm and 7.00 am. To enforce these powers local authorities must ensure that an environmental health officer takes reasonable steps to investigate complaints about noise emitted from dwellings. If the officer is satisfied that noise exceeds the permitted level, a warning notice may be served on the person responsible. If the warning is ignored, the offender becomes liable for prosecution (which if successful carries a fine of up to £1000. However the local authority officer may issue a fixed penalty notice (which must be paid within 14 days and in which case no further action will be taken). Where the noise being complained about continues after a warning notice has been issued, the local authority officer may enter the dwelling and confiscate the noise making equipment (obstructing confiscation carries a fine of up to £1000). (In Scotland similar action can be taken under the Anti-Social Behaviour (Noise Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005.)
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boba)
yet your not talking about phoning the council on her..
and 11pm is actually night 6:45 is morning,daytime
And your point is?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads