The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by rawragee
I was doing a Higher around my other seven Standard Grades as I did the Int 2 in one year, so they had to remove me from PE and RMPS classes so I could get five lessons of it a week, it was a special case :redface:

Oh, how I envy you :smile: Which higher?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by anthonyfl
Is it the law that I must do two hours of PE at school every week? I'm going into fourth year. This is just out of interest, I don't want a whole load of people telling me I should be doing PE bla bla bla, because that's not what I'm asking. I am not overweight, I am fit, and I eat healthily. I'm going into S4 in August to start my highers.

Questions

1. Is it the law that I must do PE during S4?
2. Can I opt-out of PE in S5, as I could leave school anyway?
3. Could I ask to study during PE periods instead of doing the class lessons?

Personally I think PE should be more about personal fitness rather than competitive sport, as imagine if maths was a competition where someone in the top class had to play someone in the bottom class? This would surely be deemed unfair and humiliating. That's what I think anyway. Share your opinion!

I'm asking this under scottish qualifications so I have responses relevant to scottish rules/ law.

As far as I am aware, my school had been going against the government policy of compulsory PE of two hours a week by allowing 5th and 6th years to not take PE. (It was compulsory for all 1st-4th years). However, starting last year they changed it so that we all had to do it in 5th and 6th year as well, but we chose individually, 5 activities we'd like to do over the course of the year from a long list which we were allocated 3. Each term we'd be in a new class doing the specific activity we'd chosen. Personally, I think this was a good idea as it allowed those the option to only choose things they'd want to do.

For example, as a class we often ended up doing sports I personally didn't enjoy like football, rugby, athletics, etc. before this was put into place. So I think it was a great idea to allow us to choose our own individual activities.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some leeway into choosing activities in your school PE be it as a class throughout the year or individually. In 3rd and 4th year we could choose at the start of the year what class we wanted to be in. Classes were Team Sports, Individual Sports and Health&Fitness. Team Sports obviously being the competitive ones like Football and Basketball, whilst Individual was racquet sports and athletics, etc. Then fitness was like fitness suite, boxercise and running.
Reply 62
Original post by Chrisruptor
As far as I am aware, my school had been going against the government policy of compulsory PE of two hours a week by allowing 5th and 6th years to not take PE. (It was compulsory for all 1st-4th years). However, starting last year they changed it so that we all had to do it in 5th and 6th year as well, but we chose individually, 5 activities we'd like to do over the course of the year from a long list which we were allocated 3. Each term we'd be in a new class doing the specific activity we'd chosen. Personally, I think this was a good idea as it allowed those the option to only choose things they'd want to do.

For example, as a class we often ended up doing sports I personally didn't enjoy like football, rugby, athletics, etc. before this was put into place. So I think it was a great idea to allow us to choose our own individual activities.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some leeway into choosing activities in your school PE be it as a class throughout the year or individually. In 3rd and 4th year we could choose at the start of the year what class we wanted to be in. Classes were Team Sports, Individual Sports and Health&Fitness. Team Sports obviously being the competitive ones like Football and Basketball, whilst Individual was racquet sports and athletics, etc. Then fitness was like fitness suite, boxercise and running.

That sounds really good! I don't like sports however I do like exercising. I wish my school was more like yours!

Reply 63
2 periods of PE is compulsory at my school for all year groups. Noone takes it seriously, everyone just chooses "power-walking" which should involve a power walk through the town and back to school but usually comprises of a trip to Asda. We do do some ok stuff, for example a first aid certificate but most of the time its a waste of time. It is also annoying that despite finding PE really difficult, I am forced to waste my time there wheras if someone found English difficult they would not be forced to do so until the age of 18 and their performance in English shown in front of the entire year group for them to mock. I agree PE should be important but they way its done in my school is just a waste of time that could be spent learning things I am interested in, am good at and which grades will affect my future opportunities. I think the government or more to the point my school need to look at the way PE is run to make it more enjoyable and beneficial for everyone, not just sporty people.
Reply 64
Original post by Kerrias
2 periods of PE is compulsory at my school for all year groups. Noone takes it seriously, everyone just chooses "power-walking" which should involve a power walk through the town and back to school but usually comprises of a trip to Asda. We do do some ok stuff, for example a first aid certificate but most of the time its a waste of time. It is also annoying that despite finding PE really difficult, I am forced to waste my time there wheras if someone found English difficult they would not be forced to do so until the age of 18 and their performance in English shown in front of the entire year group for them to mock. I agree PE should be important but they way its done in my school is just a waste of time that could be spent learning things I am interested in, am good at and which grades will affect my future opportunities. I think the government or more to the point my school need to look at the way PE is run to make it more enjoyable and beneficial for everyone, not just sporty people.

Exactly. Discretion in regards to the ability of a pupil is shown in every subject except from PE!

Latest

Trending

Trending